Anyone used Prednisone to prevent Miscarriage due to Autoimmune Disease? (Arthritis, etc) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m popping in from the TTC Forum to ask you preggy ladies a question!

My hubby and I have been TTC for 10 months, and I just had my 2nd Chemical pregnancy last week. We haven't been to a fertility doctor yet as we are trying to just be patient with our bodies, knowing that conceiving isn't as easy as everyone thinks!

However, after some internet research, I just realized that chemical pregnancies & recurrent miscarriages can be caused by AutoImmune Diseases.
Wellllll... I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis & Fibromyalgia since I was 12 years old, and am also Positive for Anti-Nuclear Antibodies (or ANA). It took reading some medical studies online about recurrent miscarriages to finally make the light bulb go on in my head! Afterwards, I was smacking my forehead like DOH! Why didn’t I think of that?!?!
Every time we finally get “fertilized”, my body is totally rejecting it! And DUH - my F’ed up immune system is obviously going to recognize the little zygote as a foreign object and try to get rid of it… why didn’t I think of this before???

Now that I finally have an answer as to what the heck has been going on (self-diagnosed, of course.. But hey - hopefully this is it!), now I need to know where to go from here. The only treatment I seem to come up with online is "Prednisone". I have taken Prednisone many times throughout my life to control my arthritis... but it scares me to think that anyone would prescribe that nasty medication to a pregnant woman!

So, I’m throwing out this question to you lovely, resourceful, PREGNANT ladies out there…
Have any of you gone through TTC with an AutoImmune Disease?

Specifically, something like Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus, etc?

What did the doctors recommend for treatment?

Were you able to conceive and carry the pregnancy Full Term?

Did any of the medications produce unwanted affects on your body &/or the baby???

ANY advice or stories of personal experience would be greatly appreciated and tremendously helpful!
Thank You!!!!
Laurie
#2 of 4 Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Hi Laurie,

My pregnancy hormones just jumped me when I read your post and now I feel all teary. I am currently 10 weeks into my first pregnancy, and I have a chronic disease which may or may not be autoimmune. It's called Interstitial Cystitis, and no-one knows what causes it, and autoimunity is one of the theories. But my ANA antibodies were negative, so who really knows? It's not the same situation as you, but I do feel for your situation. I tried so hard to get off my medication (not prednisone but another med) during this pregnancy, but couldn't live with the increased pain. So I battle each day with the decision of taking a medication while pregnant. It is a scary thing for me and I am sure you can feel the same way.

I don't have any answers for you about the prednisone, but I would advise you to research it as best as you can. What I did was contact a fetal risk group in my local university. They will research the medication for you and tell you all the documented reports of use during pregnancy.

I googled it for you and thought that this excerpt might be of interest to you. In your case it seems that you would be taking it just in the very beginning, and not be on it the whole pregnancy. So since the fetus is protected from the maternal blood supply at that time, I think this actually is one of the safest times to take a med. You could also contact Motherrisk at http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp and they can give you a safety profile of any number of drugs in pregnancy. I wish you the best!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a number of studies that review the use of prednisone during pregnancy and effects on the fetus. The fetus appears to be protected by at least three mechanisms: 1) enzymes in the placenta degrade the drug to an inactive form, 2) prednisone in maternal circulation is bound to a large protein making it harder to cross the placenta and 3) fetal liver is not able to activate prednisone until the end of the second trimester.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Moved to Health and Healing, where I hope you'll get more response.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 AM

I have Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. I was on Prednisone (at high dosage, I believe it was 60 mg at the time) when I unexpectedly got pregnant. While I was very concerned about the possible impact on the baby, discontinuing the Prednisone was not an option as it is a sure death sentence for me- also not good for the baby

I went to see a neonatologist at UC Davis, to ask about this issue. I was told in no uncertain terms that the impact on the baby was negligible at worst, and that the only problem could occur if I was on it at the time of birth, which could result in the baby's body detoxing from it pretty nastily.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page