Chickenpox - to expose or not to expose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am contemplating whether or not to intentionally expose my unvax'd 18 mo old to chickenpox. I am sure I could find a party, but I worry about all the other things he might catch there.

Also, I was reading that a person can't contract shingles if he/she hasn't had CP, so maybe I don't expose and then hope he never has to worry about either?

What do all of you do and why?

Thanks! (I used to post all the time - I kind of miss it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well i personally believe that varicella will never be eliminated - it will just come out in other forms. Diseases have come and gone throughout time, but even "Lucy" had chickenpox. If he doenst get it now - he'll most definetly be exposed to someone who has shingles (because that person got the varivax vaccine and didnt build up enough natural immunity and then got shingles as a young adult) in his lifetime. We know that chickenpox when children are younger is safter and less serious then when they are adults. Exposed him. I exposed DD at 2 1/2 and it was the most benign non event. She had a fever for 1 day - and about 300 pox. No complications and she wasnt even acting sick. She still talks about how fun the oatmeal baths were.
#3 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
moving to health and healing

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#4 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM

I just had shingles so I'm awaiting my mostly unvax'd 2 year old (we stopped vaxing at 9 months) to get chickenpox. I was surprised I got shingles so young. I'm 30 and I had wild chickenpox when I was 9 months old.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I exposed DD2 at 18m. It wasn't bad at all, my 5 year had a harder time with it then DD2 did. One nice thing about DD2's age was that she didn't have the fine motor skills to be able to pick at the scabs.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 PM

I wanted to wait until DS was 2 years old, just to feel safer. But we still haven't found any chickenpox! I'd expose an 18-month-old, if I got the chance.

(So, if anyone on here manages to get CP... consider sharing? Pretty please?)
#7 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM

I believe that intentional exposure to diseases needs the consent of the person exposed. Our son has had three opportunities for chicken pox exposure, he has declined each time, at age 3.5, 5ish and recently at age 7. I believe there will be plenty of opportunities for him to acquire them naturally, or agree to exposure as an older child.

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

So far, almost everyone seems to think I should expose him. Anyone else want to weigh in?

What about concerns that he might catch something else at a pox party, something like cold sores?
#9 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE View Post
So far, almost everyone seems to think I should expose him. Anyone else want to weigh in?

What about concerns that he might catch something else at a pox party, something like cold sores?
I think cold sores is just as likely at any type of play group where kids babies and toddlers are sharing toys. They put everything in their mouths, as we all know, and most of the time it cannot be stopped. If you have an opportunity for a pox party, I would take it.

I just moved to a new community and I am unsure how the locals are about this sort of thing. I wasn't sure if a pox party was ever going to be a possibility, so I have just been crossing my fingers. Fortunately, dd was unknowingly exposed when we went down state last state. I just found out today that the kids she was playing with do, in fact, have CP. I am just hoping her exposure was enough!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page