Labial Adhesions: Your experience, please. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 18 mo and has a mild adhesion on the inner labia (below the clitoral hood) and a more significant adhesion over the vaginal opening (there is only a small hole through which the vagina is visible; it is easy to see the "seam" where the skin has fused together).

I know that there is a school of thought which suggests that adhesions are best left alone; however, my DD has had recurrent diaper rash which often turns to a yeast rash, and my doctor has suggested that the rash is probably exacerbated by the adhesions (which allow space for yeast/bacteria to grow in the trapped urine). This makes sense to me. I also just don't like the idea of this skin being fused until puberty. I've already been waiting to see if it will fix itself for at least 6 mos

I am using a diaper cream with lavender oil (which I have read can act mildly like an estrogen and perhaps help the skin to separate): California Baby. It seems to be helping. I'm also manually stretching the skin a bit.

If this has not helped in a week or two, we are thinking of trying the estrogen cream. Has this worked/not worked for you, and how quickly did the skin separate? Did you have problems keeping it from re-adhering?

Thanks in advance!
Mpp

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I have no experiance w/ this, but there are a lot of threads about it over in "the case against circ."

help for my friend's 4-year-old dd

help w/ my daughter
dr ripped open adhesions
labial adhesions??
labial adhesion?

if these, aren't helpful, there are many, many more threads over there. just do a search.
#3 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM

I have seen them, on a friend's child whom I care for. By six months, I'd be willing to try an estrogen cream. I'd also, once it has separated, put vinegar in her bathwater, to maintain PH, and use the california baby cream for a while afterward as a precautionary measure.

HTH

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#4 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Labial adhesions are commonly found in young girls between the ages of three months and six years. While experts used to think medical or surgical treatment was necessary, recent research has shown that cases involving adherence that is not obstructing the flow of urine usually resolve on their own over a period of 6 to 18 months.

However, even when treatment is used, the likelihood that the labial adhesions will recur is high. The best approach is to eliminate factors that lead to inflammation and then be patient. Active treatment may be most helpful if your child is getting bladder infections, is extremely bothered by dribbling after urination, or has difficulty passing urine.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1130.html
http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5892,00.html
http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=01377

Just a quick reference. But, that is what I've read for years.

My understanding of labial adhesions with a tear is to apply Vaseline so that the healing doesn't re-adhere to itself. So, even with a laceration, injury/abrasion, I'd do the lubrication for comfort. Calendula was my first thought; but it isn't as thick as Vaseline. Lansinoh is another option. It is purified and helps heal lacerations. I'm inclined to use lavender essential oil on external cuts, but it stings and causes skin to heal fast. The fast healing could cause the skin to fuse, potentially.

I think you want to look into causes of the microbial imbalance which leads to yeast. Increase probiotics consumed as food, sprinkle probiotics on the perineal area, and consider bone broths for nutrient benefits, which will help with ph and immune system support.

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies; she eats yogurt daily, and we have just added the bioGaia probiotic per the advice of the ped's office.

Thank you also for the links to the other threads; I have searched this topic numerous times, but i think I didn't go back far enough in the threads

My plan now is to continue the Cal Baby cream; it does seem to be helping. I did not know she would begin producing her own estrogen at as early as two. I will at least wait until then for any before pursuing any other options.

Mpp

#6 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 02:49 AM

I have a friend whose dd's adhesions separated with vaseline and massage. She did try one day of estrogen, but then stopped. It took a couple of months for the adhesions to separate. She is now continuing the vaseline to prevent re-adhesion.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#7 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
I have a friend whose dd's adhesions separated with vaseline and massage. She did try one day of estrogen, but then stopped. It took a couple of months for the adhesions to separate. She is now continuing the vaseline to prevent re-adhesion.
thank you; that is reassuring, as this is the plan we are following for now.

#8 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM

my dd had a mild one that separated when we used a soap with a low pH. Called Lactophil. we dont live in North america but it was recommended for diabetics so they must have one there. maybe you can ask a phrmacist. putting vinegar in the path helps tons. just let her soak in it. there is some reason not to use vaseline. cant remember, on other threads ppl had success with calendula oil.
#9 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
my dd had a mild one that separated when we used a soap with a low pH. Called Lactophil. we dont live in North america but it was recommended for diabetics so they must have one there. maybe you can ask a phrmacist. putting vinegar in the path helps tons. just let her soak in it. there is some reason not to use vaseline. cant remember, on other threads ppl had success with calendula oil.
Yes, thank you, we are not actually using vaseline (petroleum-based, I think, is the reason not to use it. Honestly, I don't know why that would be bad....) I'm using a lanolin based cream w/essential oils.

Did you use the soap instead of other soaps (like, you're suggesting I replace the soap I use now), or you used this to "treat" the adhesion? Right now I use no soap at all except to wash her hair/arms/legs; I try to keep it out of her diap. area because she is so sensitive.

thanks!

#10 of 13 Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 AM

how is your dd doing? we usually dont use soap "in* her vulva but did with this soap and it worked pretty fast. i dont use it usually b/c it is actually just regular soap with SLS and other stuff we dont like but with lactic acid in it also. now i use an oliveoil soap from kiss my face.
#11 of 13 Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for asking! The cream we have been using (California Baby rash cream) has worked *really* well! It has been about 3 weeks since I started using it, and the adhesions have almost completely separated/healed. I have put almost no pressure on the area at all (just enough to make sure the cream is in the crevices)

I have also been blowdrying her vulva after baths on low temp (which seems very silly every time, but it seems important to keep the area from being too wet).

Thanks again for all the advice!

Mpp

#12 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

i saw this thread was bumped, so I came to post an update.

After using the California Baby cream for 2 mos (and usually only once a day), Dd's adhesions have completely gone away. The adhesion over her vaginal area went first, and just yesterday I noticed that the inner labia are completely separated.

I am SO happy that I did not pursue any sort of surgery or estrogen cream.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page