Early to bed support thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did great the first night and felt great with a much clearer head the following day. But, I’ve been doing horribly ever since. Last night I went to bed at a reasonable time, 11:30, but was up most of the night – I kept running through my mind all the things I need to do. Today I am starting a time-line list so I can get my ‘stuff’ on paper and out of my head. I’m not giving up and plan to get in bed earlier tonight. (Although anything prior to 1:00 is an improvement 10:30 or 11:00 is my goal.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done badly all week. Sometimes partly due to outside circumstances (the kids haven't been sleeping well and just as I start to wrap things up to go lie down to sleep, one wakes and wants us to be in with them til they fall asleep again), but mostly it's my own fault. My willpower is going through a low spell (too much caffeine, too--soda is my enabler, in a bad bad way).
#33 of 51 Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM

OK, my goal is to head to bed in an hour -- I have some precious time with the boys asleep and an unwatched West Wing dvd next to me -- do you think I can stop at just one episode? Oh, my. Let's hope.

Dang, I need those glasses from the low blue light website.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#34 of 51 Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 AM

I'm still up and will be for a while - but at least I'm getting tons done! :

I'll get back on track tomorrow - really.
#35 of 51 Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM

That's funny. I was wiped out yesterday so I went to lie down really early, but then I started reading and somehow it was just as late as usual (11pm-ish) when I finally decided I had to turn out my light. So I got _nothing_ done. :
#36 of 51 Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM

I had the weirdest night of sleep. I was lying down by 10:15, after watching just one episode of West Wing (I still am amazed I had the willpower), but I couldn't sleep. When I finally did start sleeping, it was such a light sleep that I felt like I was awake. I would wake up, and not be sure whether I had been asleep or not. I would feel very, very awake. Finally I started remembering dreams, so I knew that I had definitely been sleeping -- even though I didn't feel like it! Odd.

I had been drinking milk right before bed, and I remember taking honey and thinking "Oh, milk and honey...!" I've never done that before, combined milk and honey before bed. And I also took a folic acid supplement by itself about an hour before bed, which I've never done ever before.

Whatever caused it, it was odd. I only started sleeping more deeply toward the morning.

Good morning everyone!

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#37 of 51 Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 AM

well last night i was in bed by 10:10 and probably done journaling by 1045. my biggest barrier to early to bed is tv. if i can avoid the tv and not do to much on the computer then i feel like i accomplished an early to bed. tonight i am motivated to get onh the computer and do some job stuff so i am not sure about early to bed, but we will see.
#38 of 51 Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 AM

This is the first time I have posted on this thread..but I have been doing early to bed for a week now. My story is, I am never in bed before 12am, up at 6am, feeling like crap every day for a loooooooong time. Even when I did go to bed at 12am, I would sometimes wake at 3am, go back to bed at 4, then up at 6, so it was minimal sleep. I started last Friday...
I went to bed at 8pm as I was really tired. I woke up at 1am, but willed myself back to sleep instead of watching TV. It worked, and I slept til 7am, getting the most sleep ever.I felt really groggy on Saturday and thought WTH..I am supposed to feel GREAT after 11hours of sleep!! Then I thought maybe my body is craving more. Saturday night I didnt get to bed until 3am, I had food poisoning, then I was up at 9am(hubby let me sleep in). I went to bed Sunday night at 10pm and was up at 6am, I slept through the night, didnt wake once. So a solid 8 hours. I took a two hour nap Monday, and then went to bed Mon night at 9 30 pm, woke at 6. Tuesday I went to bed at 9pm, woke at 3am and couldnt sleep...finally went back to sleep at 5am, was up at 6.: Wed it was 9 30 slept through til 6. And last night it was 10, slept til 6. I feel fantastic! I was feeling like crap the first few days but then I think my body recovered from sleep deprivation and for the first time in YEARS yesterday, I wasnt tired one bit d uring the day!!!!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#39 of 51 Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Wow! My kids went to see dad for the weekend last night, I fell asleep in front of the TV, I remember numbers coming on, but not watching it - Think it comes on at 9? I woke up this morning fully dressed including my bra - ouch underwires grrr. Apparently dp woke up at 12 and we were both zonked on the couch. He got me to bed, which I remember nothing of, and I slept like a rock. I did not wake up once at all! I slept until 8:45, and I think I only woke up the because my radar indicated the bed had been vacated on the other side wow. I usually never sleep very deeply. Anyone got suggestions for turning down the mommy radar? I never sleep well when my kids are home, I've tried fans, I'm taking a decent sized dose of elavil at night which should knock me down, but it just makes me drowsy enough to fall asleep.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#40 of 51 Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
I feel fantastic! I was feeling like crap the first few days but then I think my body recovered from sleep deprivation and for the first time in YEARS yesterday, I wasnt tired one bit d uring the day!!!!
I remember the first time I started getting sleep after ds started sleeping through, it felt like this. Amazing, isn't it?

And I find I am much more sensitive to lost sleep when I've been getting enough. When I haven't been getting enough, my body clicks into some other sort of "survival" mode, and I feel energized at weird times and tired at weird times, and underneath it all I'm deeply exhausted even if I can't feel it. But if I've been getting good sleep, and then lose some, I feel the impact of it right away.

#41 of 51 Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we managed to turn the lights off at 10:00!!! Yay! Not sure if we'll make it tonight, though. Mostly we've been turning in around 10:45-11:00.

I'm still having a lot of waking up at night and being unable to fall back asleep. I wish I could just sleep solid through the night. I feel energized in the middle of the night and completely lethargic and sleepy in the afternoon. What's wrong with this picture?
#42 of 51 Old 10-05-2008, 10:51 PM

I've been lurking on this thread....

My problem is that my energy crashes at night and getting the house tidied up and the kids to bed is SOOO hard. And dh often travels for work or works evening, so I am flying solo about half the time or more. And I do home daycare so I have children arriving about 7:30 am, and my own to get going in the morning.

My default bedtime seems to be 11:48 pm. I need it to be about 10:30, would love it to be around 10, with more time to read and fall asleep at my own pace.

Trying to get my life more organized so I can make this work...
#43 of 51 Old 10-05-2008, 11:07 PM

I just have to chime in and say that I started Zoloft in August for depression/anxiety and it had the side effect of curing my life-long insomnia and getting more sleep has made a world of difference for me! (My nurse practitioner thinks I am naturally a low-serotonin producer and that's why my sleep cycles have been so screwed up since childhood.) I feel about a million times better than before, and even my kids are happier now because I'm happier. I never could fall asleep till well after midnight, and now I get tired and go to bed around 10:30 or 11:00 - still late by some people's standards, but worlds better than 1 or 2 or even 3am like it always had been. (we get up at 7-7:30am for school)

Making more sleep a priority is SOOOOO worth it!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#44 of 51 Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

How's everybody doing?

I didn't manage to turn in earlier than 10:30pm last week.

Hoping for an earlier night this week... :yawning:
#45 of 51 Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM

I've been doing badly on a very consistent basis, turning out the lights around 11:30 most nights. Very frustrated with myself.
#46 of 51 Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
How many hours do other people leave between finishing supper and going to sleep?
That's a good question.... also how much 'alone/me time' do you all want to get?

I feel like after dinner, cleaning up, then putting dd to bed, finishing clean up gets me to 9:30 or 10:00. That's when I can finally sit down and relax.

Often times I don't feel like finishing cleaning up and just sit down at the computer saying, I'll stop and clean up after 15 minutes, but I'll get sucked in.

I'm aiming to be in bed by 10:30 - 11 most nights, dh would prefer 10:00

I'd like to get an hour to do whatever and 30 minutes to wind down.... but I admit I usually go over that because I either get wound up or don't feel tired

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#47 of 51 Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I've been doing badly on a very consistent basis, turning out the lights around 11:30 most nights. Very frustrated with myself.
Me too. I cannot get into bed prior to 1:00am. But tonight is another night...
#48 of 51 Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 PM

I've been getting to bed, but tired enough that I forget to take my pj's off, and I wake up all night cuz I'm all tangled up in them.: Gotta remember, I have slept in nothing for so long, I just can't sleep in pj's of any sort.

#49 of 51 Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone else still working on their bedtime?

The night before last, we got the lights off at 9:25pm! Yay!

Last night was 10pm. Usually it's been somewhere between 10 and 11.

Having bright lights at night definitely makes it harder to get to bed early for me. And if I stay up too late, I definitely get a second wind and then don't want to go the bed. And I really can feel the addictive pull of the artificial light. I sorta wish the electric company would just cut us off every night at a set time.

I'm still pretty frustrated with my middle-of-the-night insomnia. I just lie there in the dark thinking and worrying about stuff for an hour or two, usually at around 3, 4, or 5 AM.
#50 of 51 Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 AM

I was up until 1 am last night, and then all three of my children were up in the night. The two year old did this mysterious tantrum in his sleep about wanting his purple socks (?) and that woke everyone else up. We did the musical beds thing and no one slept well, or enough.

Today I was really cranky and unpleasant.

Dh is away on a business trip, so I'm totally outnumbered tonight. And I have to work in the morning.

Must. Go. To. Bed. Real. Soon. But How?
#51 of 51 Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
Is anyone else still working on their bedtime?

The night before last, we got the lights off at 9:25pm! Yay!

Last night was 10pm. Usually it's been somewhere between 10 and 11.

Having bright lights at night definitely makes it harder to get to bed early for me. And if I stay up too late, I definitely get a second wind and then don't want to go the bed. And I really can feel the addictive pull of the artificial light. I sorta wish the electric company would just cut us off every night at a set time.

I'm still pretty frustrated with my middle-of-the-night insomnia. I just lie there in the dark thinking and worrying about stuff for an hour or two, usually at around 3, 4, or 5 AM.
I am! I have been taking meds earlier and at least just letting the drowsy happen, and if I fall asleep on the couch, at least I fell asleep. I just hate it when dp sleep walks. If the bed is empty, I wake up. Grrr. Last night he did a bunch of weird stuff, like one of his slippers was on the kitchen counter, and the other was under the bed - ? He's compulsive about setting them up so he can just put them on first thing. A bunch of other strange stuff. It's been awhile since he did this, but he's had a few episodes lately. I usually only wake up enough to realize he isn't there, yell for him, and then I'm in that in between space, where you aren't getting rested, but you aren't awake either.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page