bandaid stuck to wound -help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I basically cut off the end of my thumb yesterday. There's no "flap" of skin, there's just a hole and it hurts like a sumbiatch. Here's the problem: While I managed to stick on a few layers of bandaids and then vetwrap the darn thing, I tried to change the bandage today (I never really got a chance to clean it or anything) and the bandaid is firmly stuck to the wound.

Just thinking about having to take it off is making me feel faint right now.

Can I leave this bandage on until it falls off on its own or can someone tell me how I can get it off without passing out?
#2 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM

I don't think leaving it on is a good idea. New skin would likely fuse it to your thumb.
I would suggest soaking it off.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#3 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Soaking sounds good to me. OUCH. Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM

Ouch!
Yeah, I agree, you're best bet would probably be to soak it off.
To prvent sticking next time, make sure you use non-stick bandages, and I'd probably put on a thin layer of niosporine or vasaline or something like that, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea with such an open wound.
#5 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Soaking sounds good to me. OUCH. Just thinking about it makes me cringe.
DON'T USE TAP WATER! Spray it with "Wound Wash Saline" that you can buy at a drug store. You can also use the same kind of saline that you can buy for contact lenses, as long as it doesn't have other chemicals in it. Just get the cheap $2 saline.
#6 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

won't saline sting? Can I use boiled tap water as the pp suggested?
#7 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Saline shouldn't sting. I don't think the salt concentration is high enough.
If there's a "hole", you might consider going to see a doctor for some stitches. If you do, chances are they would soak it off for you.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a similar injury (had the tip of my finger surgically reattached) and I was told to soak it with the bandaid still on in a mixture of warm tap water, iodine, and hydrogen peroxide. I will admit, it stung like crazy the first few times but my injury healed with barely a scar in much shorter time than expected. Also, before bandaging it again, give it a few minutes to air dry and then there is a gauze type product called Adaptec (sold at Walgreen's, CVS, etc) that actually kinda looks like plastic wrap and comes in 6" sheets that prevent a wound from sticking to the dressing. It is a bit pricey but you just need to cut a piece to fit your wound and then bandage with gauze and tape over the adaptec. made bandage changes a million times easier!

Hope you are feeling better soon!
#9 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

There's nothing really to stitch back together...I basically sliced off the top 1/8-1/4" of flesh...all gone. :Puke
#10 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
There's nothing really to stitch back together...I basically sliced off the top 1/8-1/4" of flesh...all gone. :Puke
Mine was barely attached - I also lost my fingernail which just added to the fun. Another thing you might consider is to loosely attach a splint with some tape - it will protect the sensitive nerve endings while your finger heals.
#11 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Mama, I have no suggestions for you but I wanted to say that I am so sorry that you injured yourself and that you have the bandage stuck to it. That totally sucks and I hope you get it resolved quickly!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#12 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Actually, I bet saline would feel better than regular tap water... Salt water is soothing... felt great on my fresh tongue peircing.
#13 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
Actually, I bet saline would feel better than regular tap water... Salt water is soothing... felt great on my fresh tongue peircing.
Yep, contact saline solution is isotonic to your body fluids. Water will sting more.

I cut off the tip of one of my fingers (or maybe it was my thumb?) last Christmas after DH got me some new knives. Anyway, whatever it was, it healed up completely fine with just being covered with a band-aid. Although the band-aid never stuck to it...OUCH! Hope it feels better soon.
#14 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Saline will not sting, it is sooo soothing-- it's the same salt concentration as blood, which is why you can get hydrated with it through IV without it burning the heck out of your veins. Tap water will HURT, though! Just stick your thub, bandage and all down in a little cup of saline and wait for the bandaid to soak off.
I have also been lucky enough to slice off the tip of my thumb... back in 1999, and I still have the scar! It didn't take long to get a good scab-over and feel better. You might want to go to the pharmacy and look for a thumb/finger splint-- it's a metal splint with padding on it so you won't be whacking your thumb constantly on stupid things like... your dinner plate. It's hard not to use a thumb

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#15 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my dillema is solved...for now...my sister the nurse told me to get it looked at...I just walked over to a walk-in clinic down the block...
the doctor basically ripped off the bandage...my poor thumb feels so violated... It made a huge mess and hurt like

I have to change this new bandage in 5 days.
#16 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well, my dillema is solved...for now...my sister the nurse told me to get it looked at...I just walked over to a walk-in clinic down the block...
the doctor basically ripped off the bandage...my poor thumb feels so violated... It made a huge mess and hurt like

I have to change this new bandage in 5 days.
I'm sorry the doctor was such a UAV. Every time anyone in my family's had a bandage get stuck on, the doctor has soaked it off if needed. (Yes, my family's a little accident prone.)

#17 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Yuck. Sorry you had to deal with that. It should have been soaked off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page