Noise and light sensitivity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas~ Can anyone shed some light on what might be at the root of a seeming intense sensitivity to noises and bright lights?
Aidan hs been nearly panicking at the sound of vehicles, logging trucks especially, on the road. He either dashes to a hiding place or jumps into my lap and burrows his little head, covering his ears. Sometimes he says 'hid me Mama'. The road is pretty far from the house, we live out in the woods with lots of green space around us. Things are generally quiet out here. He hasn't been afraid in the past....I'm not even sure it's fear, he just seems to hate the sounds. He also tells us to turn off the water while dishwashing is happening, and yells 'stop makin that noise!' if anyone is clanging a pan or dish in the kitchen. Just 'normal' kitchen sounds. I am puzzled!
As far as the light is concerned, he stays in the shade outside. He sometimes says 'let's go in the shade so the sun won't get us' . Hm!

I did happen on magnesium deficiency in reading about these things so far, but I am almost positive his mag is inline or even above needs a bit. We're supplementing for gut healing and tooth remineralization. Long list there....

anyone have any ideas?

TIA!!!
#2 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM

There are several things that can cause sensitivity to light and or sound. It can be a minor neurological issue which wouldn't be suprising if there is gut damage. Nutrients would make a huge difference in that case....so can stimulating the trigeminal nerve. I know that when I get overwhelmed that is hugely helpful.

What makes you think his mag stores are fine? I'm not saying they aren't, but that is kinda rare! Even subclinical deficiencies tend to take awhile to correct. That said I wouldn't be looking at magnesium as a sole cause regardless.

FWIW as you work to create balance, heal the gut and remineralize teeth I would venture to guess that things could make a rapid turnaround. Do you have a practitioner you are working with that you could ask?

I will also put in a final plug for homeopathy....that has made a HUGE difference for me with the light and sound issue.
#3 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
There are several things that can cause sensitivity to light and or sound. It can be a minor neurological issue which wouldn't be suprising if there is gut damage. Nutrients would make a huge difference in that case....so can stimulating the trigeminal nerve. I know that when I get overwhelmed that is hugely helpful.

What makes you think his mag stores are fine? I'm not saying they aren't, but that is kinda rare! Even subclinical deficiencies tend to take awhile to correct. That said I wouldn't be looking at magnesium as a sole cause regardless.

FWIW as you work to create balance, heal the gut and remineralize teeth I would venture to guess that things could make a rapid turnaround. Do you have a practitioner you are working with that you could ask?

I will also put in a final plug for homeopathy....that has made a HUGE difference for me with the light and sound issue.
Hi Firefaery! thank you so much for replying so quickly, I was hoping you'd sing out.

I am not positive about his mag stores, just a general feeling that we offer a good variance across the board, along with two supps; cal mag and trace mineral liquid. I agree that mag is probably not at the root of the challenge.

We have definitely been seeing great improvement on the gut and remin issues. No eczema/cradlecap, and food sensitivities seem to be diminishing alot, cravings, etc....We do have an appt with our ND on Wednesday to recap supps and dosages, changes and the like. I will ask her about the mag thing.

Another thing I am wondering about on that count is the fact that I have mercury issues to deal with. Still nursing heavily , and researching how to clean house on that one. I have fair general knowledge and am good at research, but coallating all I learn and read is killer! lol Remembering it is another speed bump. I know it is all related and down to the gut.

I LOVE homeopathy and have had fantastic success with that modality on many things, for both my children and myself. Today, Aidan looks like Belladona, definitely, so I am going to try that for him. I have also been giving Bachs RR for the panics when logging trucks go by. Poor guy.

Thank you for your help! More reading!
#4 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM

I have to run, but two quick things....when a deficiency is present cal and mag should not be given together. They compete and calcium gets first shot. Until the playing filed is leveled I would absolutely without question give them separately. I would keep up with the cal/mag and do a separate mag at night, personally.

Also for flowers, I would think about mimulus and aspen for him. You may get even better success if you add them to the RR. Both are fear remedies and neither are in RR. Dunno, something to think about.

Mercury is detoxed through both methylation and sulfation (primarily) pathways. It takes an incredible amount of cobalt to detoxify. Most of us are deficient to begin with and the body uses up all it has converting it to detox the metals. You will never clear them until you can actively detox (a ways away) but have you done a metal test to determine nutrient levels to assess the body's ability at this point? That could give you some great info. You could target things very effectively if you knew and it is a inexpensive and accurate test.

I'm glad you are doing so well!
#5 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM

I was extremely noise sensitive when my thyroid levels were off. I had overactive thyroid (Graves disease). I also had unknown food allergies at the time. Since finding out about my allergens, when I accidentally am exposed to allergens I find that I become more sensitive to noise again until it gets out of my system, and also sometimes (but more rarely) sensitive to light--just depends on what I am exposed to.

I trust you will figure things out for your DS.
#6 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

I just want to quickly chime in that my DD was like this, but grew out of it and now, at 4, while she still doesn't like loud noises, doesn't freak out and go ballistic at, say, the car engine or lawn mower. She was always a HS child and will likely always be. She went through a sunlight hating phase as well.

Just to throw it out there, I've heard mamas who did a lot of fish oil during pregnancy (such as myself) correlate sensory sensitivity to that. Just a thought, nothing scientific.
#7 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
I was extremely noise sensitive when my thyroid levels were off. I had overactive thyroid (Graves disease). I also had unknown food allergies at the time. Since finding out about my allergens, when I accidentally am exposed to allergens I find that I become more sensitive to noise again until it gets out of my system, and also sometimes (but more rarely) sensitive to light--just depends on what I am exposed to.

I trust you will figure things out for your DS.
thank you for your insight WildIris! Interesting thing to watch for Aidan, while it seems we have been eliminating his allergens slowly and surely, it is certainly possible that new things might be cropping up...another sidenote to the food journal for sure.
I had my thyroid checked within the last year as part of my process in treating myself while helping Aidan, so I think I am ok there, test showed normal. I get hypersensitive to light and noise during my menstrual days, with migraine in the picture.
#8 of 9 Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
I just want to quickly chime in that my DD was like this, but grew out of it and now, at 4, while she still doesn't like loud noises, doesn't freak out and go ballistic at, say, the car engine or lawn mower. She was always a HS child and will likely always be. She went through a sunlight hating phase as well.

Just to throw it out there, I've heard mamas who did a lot of fish oil during pregnancy (such as myself) correlate sensory sensitivity to that. Just a thought, nothing scientific.
thank you for chiming in Rain! This reminds me to check dosage on his hvclo, and mine. Aidan has always been a little sensitive to noises, or really aware of them anyway. Lately it just seems to be way off of his chart. I can't even say the word vacuum right now without his running to hide in another room.
#9 of 9 Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 AM

That being the case I'd be thinking not so much about thyroid, but about iodine deficiency. Something to think about.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page