Sprained ankle: aids for healing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've sprained my ankle, once again. I'm hoping to get it in good shape by Saturday when I'm in charge of a babywearing booth at a local fair. I know all about rest, ice, compression, and elevation. I've also taken oral arnica and slathered it with arnica gel. I'm hoping there are other things I can do to support the healing in the next few days. Please let me know if you have any recommendations!

Thanks for any help!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arnica is for muscle and tissue trauma and may help but a better remedy would probably be ruta which is for the connective tissue (tendons and ligaments as well as fascia) which are more involved in sprains.

I would think about a castor oil pack on the ankle and in terms of rubbing something on it I'd probably ditch the arnica gel for some Zheng gu Shui. It's a bone setting linament and very deep action.
#3 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Ill have to send my dh out to WF to see what they have.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Being someone who has sprained/twisted her ankles tens of times I have found that staying immobile keeps it sore longer. I find that trying to move it & walk around on it (especially when the sprain is mild) helps me keep my range of motion in it & helps me get back onto full time a lot faster.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

RICE- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Hope you feel better soon.. I've had one too many sprained ankles, among other things
#6 of 17 Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 PM

i use arnica for all sorts of sprains, strains, bumps, bruises..it works wonders (never heard of ruta, and i know heaps about herbal remedies..going to check that out!) i also suggest, like the others elevation, ice..but also giving it some gentle exercise. the only other thing that i swear by is traumeel..there is a tincture as well as a cream.and also rescue cream by bach. both homeopathic type remedies.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 17 Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM

ruta isn't herbal, it's homeopathic.
#8 of 17 Old 10-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
ruta isn't herbal, it's homeopathic.
good to know.:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 17 Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 PM

i looked it up and wow! i cant believe i have never heard of it! i use a lot of homeopathic remedies, but ive never seen or heard of ruta till now. i will definitely be getting some for my first aid box! i have a friend who it sounds like it would really help. thanks for the info.

eta: its homeopathic rue! rue is my daughters name. cool!

Quote:

#10 of 17 Old 10-03-2008, 02:12 PM

How about if I sprained my ankle in July and it still hurts. The orthopedist said it was a bad sprain and to wear a brace (I finally saw doc. at beginning of Sept. when I got tired of the constant swelling pain) all day/every day and do 12 sessions of PT. When it first happened, I stayed off it for a day, iced lots, and rubbed Traumeel on it twice a day (and oral arnica as well). It went down, but by the end of the day it's still swollen. And I still can't really balance on that foot (like to dry off after shower). And I definitely can't sit on it (I like to sit on my feet at the computer -- horrible posture). And if DH hits it by accident while we're sleeping, I wake up yelping in pain. Why does it take so long sometimes? Would the ruta or the Zheng gu Shui do anything at this late date? I'm actually doing the brace every other day so that I'm still getting some exercise on it. I don't want to lose functionality. So far PT has never done anything for me. Should I try it? Or go to a naturopath?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM

I second the castor oil pack idea. I've seen sort of miraculous results with castor oil packs, or even just a cotton cloth soaked in castor oil and wrapped around your ankle while you sleep (wrapped in plastic too). A full castor oil pack uses heat in addition.

Really good bone broth, or even just store-bought broth with gelatin added, should help too. But homemade bone broth will help the most with connective tissue.

So good to know about the Ruta and Zeng gu shui.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#12 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
How about if I sprained my ankle in July and it still hurts. The orthopedist said it was a bad sprain and to wear a brace (I finally saw doc. at beginning of Sept. when I got tired of the constant swelling pain) all day/every day and do 12 sessions of PT. When it first happened, I stayed off it for a day, iced lots, and rubbed Traumeel on it twice a day (and oral arnica as well). It went down, but by the end of the day it's still swollen. And I still can't really balance on that foot (like to dry off after shower). And I definitely can't sit on it (I like to sit on my feet at the computer -- horrible posture). And if DH hits it by accident while we're sleeping, I wake up yelping in pain. Why does it take so long sometimes? Would the ruta or the Zheng gu Shui do anything at this late date? I'm actually doing the brace every other day so that I'm still getting some exercise on it. I don't want to lose functionality. So far PT has never done anything for me. Should I try it? Or go to a naturopath?
It's up to you. I would personally do the ruta , but my only caution is that you do have to keep up with it. I find that if someone takes it (often alternating with arnica if there is tissue pain) several times a day around day two or three they start noticing a difference. However I'd say make sure even when it feels better to keep up with it.

Zheng gu shui should still help, and if it were my ankle you bet your bottom dollar I'd be doing it. If I couldn't I would certainly use the castor oil packs.

Know for your own info that sprains take longer to heal than breaks. I'm not suprised it still hurts and I *personally* wouldn't worry about it. If you feel as though something isn't right you can see someone, but I don't think it's out of the range of normal.
#13 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i looked it up and wow! i cant believe i have never heard of it! i use a lot of homeopathic remedies, but ive never seen or heard of ruta till now. i will definitely be getting some for my first aid box! i have a friend who it sounds like it would really help. thanks for the info.

eta: its homeopathic rue! rue is my daughters name. cool!
wanna hear something funny? I just peeked at your blog and we: share the same pink paisley rachel ashwell comforter, both have our septums pierced and both have kids with VERY different names. Made me chuckle. Oh, and reading further....didja know that I am a flower essence practitioner (3 ranges), teach Bach flower essences and am currently working on my doctorate in homeopathy? Fun to find kindred spirits on the 'net.
#14 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
wanna hear something funny? I just peeked at your blog and we: share the same pink paisley rachel ashwell comforter, both have our septums pierced and both have kids with VERY different names. Made me chuckle. Oh, and reading further....didja know that I am a flower essence practitioner (3 ranges), teach Bach flower essences and am currently working on my doctorate in homeopathy? Fun to find kindred spirits on the 'net.
: i did know that you are a flower remedy practitioner, i read back in the other BFR thread.. you know SO much. i aspire to be a classically trained homeopath one day, as well as a BFR practitioner. im kind of self teaching til i can go to school. when my kids get bigger, when i have the funds...i have heaps of books out on loan and homeopathic remedies and BFR's as well as remedies made by a local woman (universal flower essences) its in my blood and spirit i swear. i just cant get enough. honestly i dont think ive ever felt this passinate about anything in my life, except for my children..and really they are my inspiration
but i did train for 2 years in jin shin do acupressure, so i have some holistic training
its rad to "meet" you! i agree, finding a kindred spirit is a wonderful thing.

Quote:

#15 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM

sorry to hijack your thread!

Quote:

#16 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 PM

This isn't as sophisticated as a homeopathic or herbal remedy, but I always soaked my ankle in epsom salt when I sprained it. I really seemed to help take the swelling out.

Good luck!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#17 of 17 Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM

here is a great site about it.
I sprained mine last year and drs said Rest. ice, elevation, etc...
no help. with 3 kids at the time, and 8 mo preggy- I had to move, so I discovered that movement is essential- to keep blood flowing and strengthen the muscles that would otherwise remain immobile during the typical "healing" time.
Try and write the alphabet with your toe & foot (in the air) every 20 mins. worked wonders!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page