sores on diaper area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
my dd has about 3 sores, all about the size of the end of a q-tip (maybe a tiny bit bigger) They're like blisters (or started as blisters) and are on her outer labia. No other rash anywhere. I know they're painful because if I pick her up and sit her on my hip when she has a wet diaper, she screams We did recently switch detergents for washing diapers, (to planet) but I'm hesitant to believe that's the cause. Since we wash all clothes in it, I'd expect to see a rash in other areas...right? She's also never had a reaction to any kind of soap/detergent and we've used many! Aside from that, her diapers are due to be stripped.. going to get on that after bed time. Could detergent build up cause sores like that? Any ideas what would cause this? It doesn't look like a typical "diaper rash" at all.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It could be impetigo (staph.)

In my experience, it has been hard to combat...my DS has recurring staph infection on his diaper area. I've tried herbal sitz baths, goldenseal, herbal ointments, etc., oral abx, and abx cream. One of the abx creams we used worked but was $100.

Because they are recurring, I have come to the conclusion that it is more an issue of the immune system than it is the bacteria itself.

I've started giving him 2 doses of probiotics per day, echinacea each day, plus giving him daily baths with GSE, washing diapers and towels with GSE and swabbing his diaper area with the GSE mixed with water as well as using the abx cream for the rest of the treatment time.

Once this session of the infection is over, I will continue to wipe his bottom with GSE because he has eczema so I'm hoping it will help keep it cleaner.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
oh ick That sounds like a nightmare having to battle that on a regular basis! Maybe its 'bout time I find a nice ped/nd around here (I just moved) and have it looked at.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 AM

another thing it could be is a yeast rash. ds3 had that several times and it usually started out with a few small blisters and would progress to large sore patches where, at times, there would be large patches of raw, bleeding skin. we had to give him nystatin, both orally and as a cream and cut his diet down to brown rice and carrots before it finally went away.

i hope you solve your DD's mystery rash before it gets worse!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM

I think it sounds like impetigo too and it may not be the immune system per say- there are many bacteria now out there that are hard to treat. My daughter had a blister like that on her face that was so hard to get rid of (it was filled with pus and bleeding when I drained it)- it took about a total of a month to clear up with therapy and then a month later got another on her neck and one on her scalp. We had to go to the doctor and get some topical antibotic ointment and that didn't work and had to use a oral antibotic with the first sore.

This time around with the one on the neck and scalp we tried the Bactroban ointment first and that didn't work so know we are trying the Altabax antiobitic ointment and that is working better. Don't get me wrong, I am not for using antiobitcs first, but impetigo is something that you don't want to spread and have stick around for a long time and using the breastmilk, tea tree oil....is great to start with it just wasn't working as well- altough I still kept using them the whole time.

All the while, we have been using breastmilk, tea tree oil and candulea ointment on them.

The other thing is to keep them cleaned.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is GSE?
This sounds a lot like my folliculitis post (the doctor said it was folliculitis last time - which is staph most of the time). Except my DD's are more on her butt, but also on her labia, and now some on her face. But they are about that size and have a little pustule on them. I used Neosporin on them before bed last night and they do look better today. And more importantly: no new ones.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
When my DD was a few weeks old she developed 2 open sores right on her anus. I tried everything. The doctor prescribed a monistat/cortisone combo and that didnt work either. The sore were there for a couple weeks and showed no sign of healing. The only thing that helped was when i decided to put breast milk on it at every diaper change. I thought hey it worked on her eye infection so why not. It started to heal by the end of a day and in another 3 days it was totally healed.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years

User Tag List