WWYD - ND holding test results hostage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll try to make this short.

I took Isabella to a naturopath for some ongoing problems. I also saw her too. Turns out she is really terrible with follow through. She'd make a recommendation, promise she was going to "look into" something for me and then never do it & never get back to me. She'd take two weeks to mail me something that should have taken 2 days.

Against my better judgement I decided to order a stool test through her for Isabella to confirm a previous test result. She sent me the kit with the order that had me paying her rather than the lab. I called the lab and asked what the best way to get a detailed receipt for the insurance company would be. They told me that I should pay them directly & they would send me the detailed receipt. Knowing how bad the ND was at follow through I decided to do that just to make sure I'd get the receipt.

Well the ND had marked up the test a bit. An amount I assumed would cover the followup where we got the results. I fully expected to pay it. However, I think she thought I was trying to get away with not paying the extra. In effect, cheating her out of some money.

At any rate, after trying to get her to schedule a followup for at least 3 weeks after the results came in I finally called the lab that did the test to try to get results from them. They wouldn't give them to me directly. Only to a new provider if the old provider agreed. So I got a new provider. As requested by old provider, new provider had to make a formal request in writing to get the results. I personally mailed this priority mail & know she got it the next day. It's now been another 2 weeks (it's now almost 2 months post test) and old provider *still* has not sent new provider the results. My new provider called old provider Friday but nothing yet.

WWYD? I really want these results and consider her actions to be unconscionable considering she's a health care provider. The lab refuses to do anything else. Unfortunately she's not listed with the BBB or else I'd file a complaint with them. I'm thinking that I can complain to the licensing board but I'm sure that will take a long time and I just want the results asap.

Any other suggestions?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 AM

I have no advice... just wanted to send some hugs and say that sucks.

I can't believe she's doing that. And I also can't believe that the lab won't just give you your results! I mean they're YOUR results!! Seems ridiculous that they will only release them to a doctor.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 AM

That is crazy!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 AM

Like you don't have enough on your plate. :
No advice but I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully your ex-ND will grow up soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 AM

Can you call the office and ask to speak to another one of the doctors (assuming this person isn't in a single practice)? Perhaps if you can tell another person of equal footing in the office you can get someone to help you.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#6 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

She is in single practice. I had thought there was another doctor in the practice but I've never seen nor heard from her. No receptionist either.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#7 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 01:17 PM

I would personally place a call to the state medical licensing board in the morning.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#8 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 PM

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!

I would leave a message or send a fax to her that you could be sure she would get Monday morning saying that if she hasn't released the results to be available to your new provider by 3pm Monday you are going to file a report with the applicable licensing board. Then follow through with it.

Let us know how it turns out for you!
I hope Isabella is doing ok!

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#9 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
I would personally place a call to the state medical licensing board in the morning.
Agreed, she cannot legally withold your results. They are yours and you paid for them.

Many labs will take money directly but will not release to someone who isn't a doc or holds an account with them. Depending on the lab it may have nothing to do with them. Your new provider, if she/he is a licensed practitioner should be able to get the results. The lab *may* require that they have an account with them, but that's free and easy to set up.

Is your new practitioner a doctor?

Is theh old one saying you didn't pay for the test and therefore don't get the results?
#10 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM

How far away is she? I would threaten her with the call to the licensing board, but I would also show up on her doorstep. Then there is no excuse. Your results are YOURS.
#11 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

So here's a little more background.

After she initially ordered the test she sent me a collection kit with order form. That form had me pay her directly. I changed the form & paid for the test myself so I could get the detailed receipt. I think she was pissed that I did that and maybe thought I was trying to cheat her out of the "extra" fee she tacked on. I was expecting to pay that fee when I got the results.

Anyhow, the new provider is a chiropractor. I tried calling Metametrix directly to get the results and they tried calling my old provider to get permission. They will only release the records to my new doctor if the old doctor gives the OK. Well old doctor said there were unresolved billing issues & she wouldn't give permission. We cleared up those issues and my new provider sent a request via priority mail asking for the results (old doc insisted on having a written request mailed to her office). That was two weeks ago. I then followed up with an email and new provider called her on Friday. As far as I know she still hasn't ponied up.

Her hours at her office are so erratic I wouldn't know when to show up. I just don't have the time to drive half an hour to get no results.

I am going to call Metemetrix again tomorrow and I'll leave her a message that I'm going to call the licensing board if she doesn't get off her ass. This is totally ridiculous.

P.S. This business of only releasing records to doctors is BS. If I'm paying, I should have access one way or the other.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#12 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
How far away is she? I would threaten her with the call to the licensing board, but I would also show up on her doorstep. Then there is no excuse. Your results are YOURS.
I was gonna say, I would go to her office and stay there until she changed her mind.
#13 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 11:04 PM

I hate to ask, but have you paid the mark up for the test yet?
Off topic, but I've never heard of a doctor marking up the cost of a test before. Is this fairly standard practice?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 11:06 PM

yup. Quite standard. You are paying (in theory) for them to then interpret the results. However it's like anything in the practice. When they sell you supplements you aren't paying wholesale. This is no different.
#15 of 15 Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I had no problem with the extra fee. I expected that when we had the followup appointment she'd just charge me the fee. The problem with paying her directly is that I'd *never* get a receipt to turn into the insurance company. I asked Metametrix how I could get a receipt and they said I had to pay for the test. And given how lame my provider was before the test I knew I'd never get a receipt from her that included the codes. Have I mentioned she's lame?

Her office is half an hour away. Too far to stalk.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page