Tmj - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have had TMJ since i was a child. at first, i would get clicking on both sides of my jaw when i opened my mouth very wide. then after that it was just on the left side, and has been for many years. mostly i felt that it never caused me any problems. we still cosleep with ds1 (he'll be 4 soon) and he has started doing a lot of tossing and turning all night long. a couple of nights ago he ended up kicking me on the left side of my jaw, directly on the joint, VERY hard. i didn't have any problems the next day, but then yesterday i woke up and my whole jaw was sore, as if i had been grinding my teeth all night long, and i had a headache. my jaw was so sore that it was uncomfortable/painful to talk or eat. i was very tired and kept yawning (not a good idea) and i've noticed that the left side of my jaw no longer clicks but the right side now does and it's very painful. did ds1 do this?! i'm wondering if i will now need to go to a cranial sacral therapist for this. i have a headache today too.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM

I have TMJ. I'm guessing the kick to the jaw aggravated the problem. I'm not sure what did it anymore (possibly a pop on the chin from kickboxing?) but a few years ago I started to have bad headaches and jaw pain. I just went to my family doctor and she grabbed my lower jaw an sort of popped everything back into place. And it felt good. I'm not familiar with cranial sacral therapy but I think a chiro would be a good bet.

ETA - I should say that the jaw manipulation didn't fix the tmj, I still click and such. It just made the headaches and "extra" jaw pain go away.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 AM

nnodnar, that would be wonderful to have the headaches go away. My TMJ started about 10 years ago, when my jaw locked one day. Ever since then, it has bothered me. A few years ago I was doing Pilates (the Winsor one) and the strain of my neck caused my jaw to lock for several MONTHS!! I went to a chiro, and after about a month, I could open my jaw, but it was still painful. Now I have a tooth problem on one of my front teeth, which causes me to take bites wierd. It has caused my TMJ to get so bad that I have partial hearing loss in my right ear and constant jaw and head aches. Sometimes it's almost unbearable. I know that I could go to my dentist for a bite guard/correcter thing, but between getting my front tooth replaced (I have a very fragile crown right now) and getting the guard, I would have to spend around $2000, which I really don't have and can't afford.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I feel like I can sympathize with you, cause I'm going through something similar.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

oh vioburn, that's rough! maybe look into finding a craniosacral therapist? i have heard they can treat TMJ and the like. i hope you can find a path to healing soon!

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 10-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioburn View Post
nnodnar, that would be wonderful to have the headaches go away. My TMJ started about 10 years ago, when my jaw locked one day. Ever since then, it has bothered me. A few years ago I was doing Pilates (the Winsor one) and the strain of my neck caused my jaw to lock for several MONTHS!! I went to a chiro, and after about a month, I could open my jaw, but it was still painful. Now I have a tooth problem on one of my front teeth, which causes me to take bites wierd. It has caused my TMJ to get so bad that I have partial hearing loss in my right ear and constant jaw and head aches. Sometimes it's almost unbearable. I know that I could go to my dentist for a bite guard/correcter thing, but between getting my front tooth replaced (I have a very fragile crown right now) and getting the guard, I would have to spend around $2000, which I really don't have and can't afford.
Oh my gosh that's terrible! My sympathies. I'm lucky in that my jaw's only ever locked for a few minutes at a time and I've been able to sort of wiggle it back into place on my own. Now it only ever really bother's me if I'm silly and chew gum (why can't I learn!) or eat a bunch of something really chewy (like toffee).

User Tag List