Cystic acne/ingrown hair and hormones - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been experiencing an ever-worsening problem of cystic acne and infection around ingrown hairs. It SEEMS to correspond with hormonal cycles, and the dermatologists I've seen just kind of shrug and say I need birth control pills or oral antibiotics, after topicals did not work. I am nearly 40 years old and never had acne problems before even as a teen.

I tried a one-month dose of antibiotics even though I avoid them as much as possible, and they didn't even touch the problem.

I get cystic lumps on my neck, chest, back.. I get ingrown hairs along my bikini line and thighs and I get some horrible kind of acne thing on my scalp, and nothing - tea tree oil, goldenseal, antibiotic creams, neem, aloe, zit medicine - does anything.

I eat a healthy diet and am gluten free. I use no chemicals, natural products for hair and skin. (Chagrin Valley soap and shampoo bars, mineral makeup, shea and coconut oil.)

I will go back to a dermatologist as soon as I can get (afford?) some health care, but fighting these infections everywhere is starting to freak me out! Has anyone dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm sorry that you're dealing with this, i get cysts sometimes and they s-u-c-k. the only thing that has cleared me up was pregnancy! not necessarily an acceptable treatment option, i know. is there any way that you could get a second opinion? if it seems to be related to your hormonal cycles, bc pills really could help. it sounds like you don't want them, though. i hope someone else can chime in with some better advice.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

User Tag List