Vitamin C vs SA?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is giving straight Sodium Ascorbate better than vitamin c in it's regular form?? If so can you give SA to infants? [I] think I read in the archives here one lady who said you can mix the SA powder with breastmilk and give it to infants in a dropper. Was wondering if anybody here knows much about SA. I know lots of people say to mega dose with SA for pertussus, but that it has to be SA and not plain old Vit C. was wondering why that is?? Isn't SA just buffered Vitamin C?? I would like to be giving my son who is sick with a cold extra C for immune boosting purposes but am not sure if I should get striaght SA or just go out and get some baby Vit C drops. Also how much to give??Also there are other Vitamin C mineral salts so why is the sodium ascorbate the best one instead of potassium or calcium or any of the others??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#2 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SA and Vit C are the same exact thing chemically. Their bioavailability are the same. There is also Calcium Ascorbate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Zinc Ascorbate, Potassium Ascorbate.

Here is a link. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html

I did a lot of research into Vit C after I was accused of shaking my daughter who was damaged by vaccines. Dr. C.A.B. Clemetson and Dr. Archie Kalekirinos were proponents of administering large to exteremly large doses of Vit C pre and post vaccination. Linus Pauling (sp?) and Hess also wrote alot about it.
#3 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have done a bit of reading from what i understand SA is coupled with mineral salts (sodium) and so it is buffered so may be gentler on the GI system. Asorbic Acid is the form of C in many supplement and what I think i have been taking and what is in my baby's multi vitamin drops and this is not buffered. Other than this difference is there any? Is SA better for another reason?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 5 Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 PM

I've read that our bodies need sodium to use the vitamin C and SA has the perfect amount of sodium in it for our bodies to use the Vit C.

Kinda how more Vit D equals better calcium absorption..

I dont know where I read it, I was googling SA.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 PM

Ascorbic acid (the chemical name for vitamin C) is chemically unstable. It starts to break down after exposure to air, moisture and white light. Sodium Ascorbate, a sodium salt of Ascorbic Acid, is much safer and hence more bioavailable.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page