vanilla extract for teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds (13 mos) has been teething recently, and he's having a more difficult time with these bigger teeth than he had with his front 8 teeth...so i've been asking about teething remedies (most of the time i'm told baby tylenol or orajel...i'm in a pretty mainstream area) but i'd rather try natural remedies first. anyhoo, a lady this weekend told me to rub vanilla extract on his gums (after somebody suggested whiskey)...any body ever heard of this? i just bought some homeopathic stuff (boirion camilia, herbs for kids gum-omile oil), but the closest place i can find homeopathics is 1/2 hr away and i don't get up there often, so i'm always looking for remedies that i can find closer to home.

so...what are everybody's thoughts on vanilla extract for teething? TIA!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm sure that suggestion was made because most vanilla extracts are in an alcohol base. I would strongly suggest not using that. We used gum-omile oil and all the other natural things for the first 8 teeth but now that we're on to molars we have had to resort to the occasional infant motrin or adult strength orajel at night (on the recommendation of her ND). While I steer clear from these types of things normally, there is a point when true pain relief needs to happen. We use them very sparingly/not often but they have been a necessary evil, if you will, on some nights.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page