can croup get better and then worse again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or is this a whole new case?

DD (18 months) has been sick for literally 6 weeks. The poor girl has had some combination of fever/runny nose/sneezing/croupy coughing/wet coughing/dry coughing this entire time. It HAD been getting better for a week or so up until a few days ago. Now we are back to the full blown croup cough, complete with coughing so hard that she vomits. It sounds awful.

Can the same case really last this long? Or is this likely a new infection?

Besides steaming up the shower, taking her outside...is there anything I can do about this? How about prevention? Should I keep her away from kids?

Thank you.

Mindfully mothering DD (4/07) and DS (3/10)
#2 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son's had things last this long, but it seemed like a series of different illnesses. I think he was somewhat rundown and then was more susceptible to the next thing. He's had croup twice, and high doses of sodium ascorbate really seemed to make it milder (compared to how it usually goes, from my reading).
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 AM

With the vomiting after coughing, could it be whooping cough? You can do a search in the vaccination forum for info about it, but I also agree that the most helpful thing is SA. There is a formula somewhere there for how much to give based on weight. I am looking for it now, but I can't find the post, but I think it is 250-375 mg per kg body weight, spread out over a day. And with WC, you'd want to do the upper range. Does anyone else know if that's right? There are quite a few threads in the vaccinations archives about WC, including some on why you don't want abx for it.

Here's another link about using 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in a cool mist humidifier (2 parts water to 1 part peroxide). Read down at the bottom under the subtitle of "Additional support":

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1794&zTYPE=2

Hope your LO is feeling better soon!

ETA: I know somewhere online there is a place where you can hear the WC cough, if you want to listen to it and decide if it is that. But really, it doesn't matter, because I would be doing the same thing whether it was WC or not.
#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 AM

My 2 yr old has croup too. He has fall/winter allergies & we went through the same thing last year too. The allergies start then he battles croup for awhile too. I came here to post the same thing...what to do. I only have a vaporizer & it is hot here tonight so I think we'd all be miserable if I used that. I am going to buy a cool humidifier tomorrow as I've heard that is helpful for croup. Glad to hear about the SA. I will give that a try tomorrow too.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
With the vomiting after coughing, could it be whooping cough? You can do a search in the vaccination forum for info about it, but I also agree that the most helpful thing is SA. There is a formula somewhere there for how much to give based on weight. I am looking for it now, but I can't find the post, but I think it is 250-375 mg per kg body weight, spread out over a day. And with WC, you'd want to do the upper range. Does anyone else know if that's right? There are quite a few threads in the vaccinations archives about WC, including some on why you don't want abx for it.

I think the 250mg/kg body weight (spread over the course of the day) is the typical recommendation for a normal illness, and 375mg/kg is for whooping cough specifically. But my kids both needed more (a lot more) for regular illnesses (haven't done wc yet). A high toxic load from mom can make these numbers completely irrelevant--most kids aren't like mine, but it is possible to be a little above these and IMO it really needs to be adjusted for each individual.
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 PM

My daughter had it pretty bad last year, and they even thought she might have pneumonia so they took x-rays, but she definitely had croup.
They gave her a shot of steroids (sounds scary) but this helped immediately. Her eyes had this sick, tired look when we had brought her in and they had us wait 15 minutes or so after the shot to make sure it was working, and she looked almost normal again by the time we left!

For my oldest they did not do this, I had had to bring her to the ER but she was younger. They gave her the mist to breathe in, and she still had it for a week afterwards.

I don't know if you are breastfeeding but at those ages when my daughters, when they were much younger, I would add in an extra feeding and the cough would disappear before it got that bad, within a day it would be gone.
#7 of 7 Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the helpful responses. I'm pretty sure it's just plain old croup. It seems like the current infection is getting better already. The last one was worse for much longer.

We have never used sodium ascorbate but I will definitely try it. We are still nursing and have even abandoned a very successful nightweaning attempt. I hope it will be as easy the second time around.

I really appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Mindfully mothering DD (4/07) and DS (3/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page