Tinea versicolor- natural treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In case you don't know what this is, here is a pic of it I found online.

I had this as a teen and it came back during my pregnancy. I treated it successfully before w/ Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo. I am afraid to use it again b/c I'm nursing DD and I don't want the chemicals to absorb into my skin.

I've read a few things to try, TTO and calendula cream... acidophilus... anyone treated theirs' successfully using all natural (and safe for a breastfeeding mom) remedies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM

Ds was dx with this at 3 months. I didn't have much luck with natural things. Not saying they don't work, but they didn't for us. (Maybe we didn't keep at it enough.) We used chlortrimazol, which our family doc prescribed. It did help a lot initially.

I'm not convinced it's gone entirely, but we've moved on to dealing with food allergies and eczema.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM

My brother is using this and has seen good results so far:

http://www.jason-natural.com/products/dandruff.php

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM

Its a fungus, so antifungals work pretty well. Depending on where it is you could apply tea tree oil (you wouldn't want your baby to come in contact with the oil, though), but probably the best thing is rinse it with apple cider vinegar several times a day. It can take over a month of regular treatment for it to go away, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to see results.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. i will try the apple cider vinegar and maybe the jason shampoo.

User Tag List