Deer Tick Bite and Doxycycline - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What do you guys think I should do?

I got a deer tick bite 9 days ago. I don't have a regular doctor, but I found a local one who saw me that day. They confirmed it was a deer tick.

The doctor said there was a LOW probability of me getting Lyme disease from it as it likely had not attached to me for more than 24 hours. I had a small 1 inch rash that day that went away and then no symptoms. Except a headache and some slightly sore muscles but that could be anything.

The doctor gave me a prescription for Doxyxyxline but said if I didn't get any symptoms I probably didn't need to take the anitibitoic.

But then I talked to many people who said Lyme disease is so bad and unable to get rid of once it takes hold that with any chance of having it I should take antibiotics.
So I am at the end of my 2nd day of it and I feel naseous and gross.

And we have been ttc our first baby for over a year and I am just around the misddle of my cycle and until I knew if I was taking the antibiotics we kept ttc.
SO now here I am- feeling yucky from the antibiotic- because I was finally feeling healthy before this after some other things.
But the risk of getting lyme scares me.
But also I so do not want to be putting this nasty stuff into my body right now.

What shoudl I do? Sufffer through a long dose of this? Take a short dose? Do nothing?
I may have no risk of lyme from his tick and be doing all this for nothing, or I may be preventing a future problem.

So DH and I also decided to stop ( at this point ) ttc while I am on the doxycycline- and that if I had conceived from past few days just stopping as soon as I had any feeling.
Except I do feel grossly naseous but I think that is from these yucky antibiotics.
My body is not digging these at all.
WWYD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'd stick with the doxy - or switch to amox - but doxy is the abx of choice for tick bites because it takes care of Lyme & most of the common co-infections.

If I were you, I'd postpone ttc, take the 4 weeks of doxy, go *completely* sugar free & yeast free, add lots of fermented foods (real raw fermented stuff - unpasteurized like sauerkraut, kefir, raw yogurt, etc) & I'd take a really high quality probiotic but only 2 hours after each abx dose.

Headaches & muscle pain are very common symptoms of Lyme - actually headaches are also commonly caused by Bartonella, a common co-infection that also responds to doxy.

The Lyme bacteria has a 4 week life cycle, so I'd take 4 weeks worth.

The best literature out there is Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines - it explains dosage & efficiency.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Oh, and that's dangerously wrong info - Lyme can absolutely be transmitted in less than 24 hours & this is a very high time for transmission (the fall) as the ticks have been feeding all season & have moved on to deer by now. The bonus is that they're easier to spot than the pesky nymphs, but the chance of them carrying Lyme is much higher.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I think there is so much confusion about Lyme disease. I talked to a natropathic doctor and she said there are a lot of differening views on it.
For example, I brought the tick in a jar to the docs and they confirmed it was a deer tick, but the natropath said they could have actually sent the tick into a lab and tested it fot lyme. But These docs didn't know that.

This doxycycline feels like poison in my body. In theory I totally want to do the preventative antibiotic- but in practice it makes me feel sick and gross.

Any more opinions appreciated.
#5 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds was bitten by a deer tick earlier this summer. My DH and I did tons of research and found that Dr. Burrascano's materials were the best. Our son's doctor agreed after doing his own intensive research and prescribed the 4 weeks worth of abx.

Lyme isn't something you want to take chances with. I know of two people recently diagnosed and their lives have been pure misery because of it. One is currently undergoing his 4th month of daily IV abx treatment. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely do the preventative abx.

Good luck.
#6 of 11 Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I think there is so much confusion about Lyme disease. I talked to a natropathic doctor and she said there are a lot of differening views on it.
For example, I brought the tick in a jar to the docs and they confirmed it was a deer tick, but the natropath said they could have actually sent the tick into a lab and tested it fot lyme. But These docs didn't know that.
Yes, there are certain labs thattest ticks, but they need to be alive & I don't know of any that test for co-infections. I forgot to list mycoplasma as a common co-infection up there.

There is a lot of confusion out there, but just about every source agrees that antibiotic treatment is the safest course if it's caught early. If you let it go, there's the risk of chronic Lyme & IV rocephin, blech.

**Oh, and this is HUGE - you may very well be experiencing a Herx reaction as the doxy kills off the bacteria & they release their toxins. Your ND should be aware of herbs that assist in elimination of those toxins.

#7 of 11 Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Yes, there are certain labs thattest ticks, but they need to be alive & I don't know of any that test for co-infections. I forgot to list mycoplasma as a common co-infection up there.

There is a lot of confusion out there, but just about every source agrees that antibiotic treatment is the safest course if it's caught early. If you let it go, there's the risk of chronic Lyme & IV rocephin, blech.

**Oh, and this is HUGE - you may very well be experiencing a Herx reaction as the doxy kills off the bacteria & they release their toxins. Your ND should be aware of herbs that assist in elimination of those toxins.

Can you please explain more about his reaction thing? All I was told was to take a form of acidopholis to help rebuild the healthy bacteriain the gut.

Okay- so both of you, I think, are saying to go through with the preventative antibiotic even if it makes me feel sick because it is better than the alternative?

Also- I took a week of thinking about it before I started on the antibiotic on the 8th day. I hope ( if I do follow through with the treatment) that this was still early enough?

Also- I have had slight confusion about the proper dosage to take of doxycycline. Anyone had experience with this? I just looked at the sight you recommended. Lots of good info there.
#8 of 11 Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 AM

Click on the link I posted above - Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines - he explains the Herx reaction & lists specific doses according to weight. If I were you, I'd print out the whole thing (33 pages, I believe) & take it to your doctor. You & your doctor can figure out the proper dosage according to Burrascano's recommendations.

You don't want to take your probiotic at the same time as your abx - both can interfere with one another, so wait 2 hours after taking your abx to take the probiotic. I've have good results with Culturelle - it'll be in the cooler section of a good health food store & should be kept in the fridge.

It's very important to clean up your diet *now.* Both yeast AND Lyme feed on sugar, so eliminate sugar & yeast from your diet while on the abx & for a couple weeks following treatment. I'd stay on the probiotics for a couple of weeks after the abx are done as well.

#9 of 11 Old 10-18-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

The other side of this whole thing- I just copied this from a different website:

"With the exception of pregnant women and people with severe arthritis or heart problems, most people who have been exposed to ticks but do not have symptoms are not given antibiotics. Even in parts of the country where Lyme disease is known to occur often, the risk of getting Lyme disease is too small to warrant treatment before symptoms appear."
from this site http://health.yahoo.com/infectiousdi...--hw74158.html

This is something other people have told me- that I can get a deer tick bite but not have it be lyme, so I should wait to treat and see.
I kindof wonder about this too.
#10 of 11 Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[quote]Okay- so both of you, I think, are saying to go through with the preventative antibiotic even if it makes me feel sick because it is better than the alternative?

Also, Lyme can be passed from mother to baby while in utero and through breastmilk. Since you are ttc, you really want to make sure you aren't infected. This, IMO, is another good reason for doing the preventative abx.

I second the recommendation of Culturell--it really helps with the side effects of the abx on your digestive system.
#11 of 11 Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
The other side of this whole thing- I just copied this from a different website:

"With the exception of pregnant women and people with severe arthritis or heart problems, most people who have been exposed to ticks but do not have symptoms are not given antibiotics. Even in parts of the country where Lyme disease is known to occur often, the risk of getting Lyme disease is too small to warrant treatment before symptoms appear."
from this site http://health.yahoo.com/infectiousdi...--hw74158.html

This is something other people have told me- that I can get a deer tick bite but not have it be lyme, so I should wait to treat and see.
I kindof wonder about this too.
Bull honkey. A headache & sore muscles *are* symptoms of Lyme disease & the fact that since you've started treatment you're symptoms have worsened screams Herx reaction to me.

It's your call mama, but Lyme is a horrible, horrible disease to be stuck with for life. And the pp is correct, it can absolutely be passed to the fetus.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page