Heart Disease, Diabetes, Organ Failure - PLEASE Help! - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Heart Disease, Diabetes, Organ Failure - PLEASE Help!
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 10:55 AM 10-19-2008
I need help, Mamas. My Dad, 65, is a wreck. He's been a type 2 diabetic for some time now but recently developed an infection (3 weeks ago today) which he thinks may have stemmed from eating raw oysters which led to a bladder infection (maybe hep. A.) This led to diabetic ketoacidosis which landed him in the ICU & he now needs insulin probably for life.

He came home from the hospital last Sunday (a week ago today) & collapsed coming up the front steps - couldn't hold himself upright, couldn't speak, his lips turned blue. I called 911 & we checked his sugars which were only 229 (high for you or me, but not crazy high for an insulin dependent diabetic) so it wasn't the sugar that caused the symptoms.

He refused to go back to the hospital but deteriorated rapidly over the following 2 days & by Wednesday, his sugar was down to 24 & he collapsed again, unable to get up.

He has been back in the ICU for a few days now & we've found that he suffered quite a major heart attack within 1-6 days of being admitted (my feeling is, it happened the day he came home from the hospital & again when he collapsed on Wednesday.)

Now he's dealing with multi system organ failure. His kidneys aren't doing well but his liver is really bad - which makes me wonder about those oysters & the possible Hep. A. I saw him last night, but didn't process everything until I got home, so didn't think to ask if they'd tested him for Hep. A.

He's having a heart catheterization this week to find out how serious & where the damage is to his heart - it's pretty significant from what his symptoms display.

He also has a significant amount of blood in his urine so he saw a urologist yesterday & had a u/s of his gall bladder - we'll find out about that hopefully today.

I have copies of all of his result numbers - his Troponin on the day of his last admission was 9.26 - which points to a significant heart attack.
His liver function test results were:

AST/SGOT - 3756 on admission & down to 2051 as of yesterday (norm range is 15-37!!)
ALT/SGPT - 6506 on admission & down to 1191 as of yesterday (norm range is 30-65!!)
Both of these are dropping which is good, it looks like he's been in an acute phase & is coming out of it.

A worrisome number is his BNP which was 2260 on admission, dropped down to 1940 the next day & climbed all the way UP to 3360 yesterday - this is indicative of heart failure which is not going the way we want it to.

*************************

SO, I don't know where to start. I'm a TFer, WAPF kind of person & the diet they have him on makes me cringe (would make anyone here cringe.)

Does anyone know if Celtic sea salt (highest quality sea salt) is really bad for him? I've read about low-sodium diets & how they negatively affect the body, even if its ill - but I'm afraid in this situation to go against mainstream medical advice because the results could be fatal.

My feeling is to get him on CLO, vitamin D, grain free, good fats & good protein, but I don't know if any of these things are *truly* dangerous for a person dealing with damaged heart/kidneys/liver.

Someone else suggested TCM to detoxify his liver - I wonder if I can find a TCM practitioner who will travel.

He's on a statin drug which freaks me out because I think of cholesterol as a protective mechanism of the body. The beta blockers & BP meds plus the Plavix sound necessary at the moment but the statin worries me.

Where do I start??

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 12:20 PM 10-19-2008
What I would do if he were my father:

Get as many raw eggs inside him as you can, and I mean as many, one dozen, two dozen, three dozen..... whatever he will consume.


ETA: this is not a permanent diet for your father, it is designed to stabilize him. Is there anyway you can persuade him to seek alternative help and get him off some of that "medication"? I saw your thread in the TF forum, if I were in your situation I would consult Aajonus Vonderplantiz. Provided your father is willing to at least listen to alternatives. If he believes his doctors know what they are doing, then I don't know what to say to you.
duckmom's Avatar duckmom 03:57 PM 10-19-2008
I couldn't read and not post. I don't have anything to offer except

We use milk thistle for liver detoxing, but with everything else going on here, I have no idea if that's advisable or not.

Hang in there, Mama! I hope you get him stabilized quickly :
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 04:05 PM 10-19-2008
Ugh, his BNP has risen even more to 3748 today - his heart failure is worsening quickly. He has no idea, which might be a good thing.

His total cholesterol is 101 & they have him on a statin drug!! I've read that it should be between 200-250 & anything less than 130 creates major health problems.

Does a statin drug do anything for the heart other than lower cholesterol? (not that that's good for the heart...)
Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 04:51 PM 10-19-2008
At this point, if he is insisting on continuing on this (allopathic) path, I can't see that there is much to be done but hope his body can pull through. All I can say to you is what I would do if it were my father; and that would be to get him off all the drugs, especially the statins and start getting those raw eggs into him now. His body is basically drowning in water and you need to get the kidneys going and him peeing, really, really, peeing. I wish I had more time to explain this to you, but a post on an internet board isn't the the best place for this; but everything ties in, the kidney's, heart and liver. If you are open to what I have to say, email me and I will do my best to explain it all. Sunday's aren't a good day for me to get much time online, and I have to take DS to soccer practice soon, but I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

mbravebird's Avatar mbravebird 05:06 PM 10-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
What I would do if he were my father:

Get as many raw eggs inside him as you can, and I mean as many, one dozen, two dozen, three dozen..... whatever he will consume.


ETA: this is not a permanent diet for your father, it is designed to stabilize him. Is there anyway you can persuade him to seek alternative help and get him off some of that "medication"? I saw your thread in the TF forum, if I were in your situation I would consult Aajonus Vonderplantiz. Provided your father is willing to at least listen to alternatives. If he believes his doctors know what they are doing, then I don't know what to say to you.
I thought of Aajonus V. when I read your father's story, too. I've just read his one book, but I know that he brought his son back from the brink of death by using foods as medicines, and taking him off the things they had him on that he saw as uneccessary. If you're looking that way A.V. is the person to consult.

My memory is that he felt raw butter and unheated honey (not raw, but instead unheated) was vital for his son's recovery -- but his son wasn't diabetic.

Hope you get some guidance soon, and a way through.
Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 05:13 PM 10-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
I thought of Aajonus V. when I read your father's story, too. I've just read his one book, but I know that he brought his son back from the brink of death by using foods as medicines, and taking him off the things they had him on that he saw as uneccessary. If you're looking that way A.V. is the person to consult.

My memory is that he felt raw butter and unheated honey (not raw, but instead unheated) was vital for his son's recovery -- but his son wasn't diabetic.

Hope you get some guidance soon, and a way through.
Here I am still on when I should be getting DS ready to leave for soccer. A.V.'s son was in a car accident. I am almost certain that A would say exactly what I suggested -- raw eggs in this particular "emergency" situation.
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 05:25 PM 10-19-2008
Yes, he is drowning in water - they just put him on a diuretic today. I don't think that he would argue with the staff to get off of the statin or any other med if I told him that he should. If I got a holistic-minded MD in there, he might be swayed. He's scared, understandably so & would probably be to afraid to come off of those drugs.

I'm going to try to get a holistic doctor to review his results & see if there's any way I can get him to see him. I'm going to need *a lot* of luck...
supakitty's Avatar supakitty 05:35 PM 10-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
At this point, if he is insisting on continuing on this (allopathic) path, I can't see that there is much to be done but hope his body can pull through. All I can say to you is what I would do if it were my father; and that would be to get him off all the drugs, especially the statins and start getting those raw eggs into him now. His body is basically drowning in water and you need to get the kidneys going and him peeing, really, really, peeing. I wish I had more time to explain this to you, but a post on an internet board isn't the the best place for this; but everything ties in, the kidney's, heart and liver. If you are open to what I have to say, email me and I will do my best to explain it all. Sunday's aren't a good day for me to get much time online, and I have to take DS to soccer practice soon, but I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Do you think that albumin will accomplish diuresis better than a traditional diuretic? I understand the physiology but why would this be superior to something like Lasix?

-Laura
sbgrace's Avatar sbgrace 06:04 PM 10-19-2008


Traditionally in kidney failure they don't want to over-do protein and so put stress on the kidneys. I mention because if his heart muscle is being damaged (I'd say it is) this puts stress on his kidneys too. I'm not saying that the right move isn't egg/protein food. I don't know. I'm just telling you that protein is filtered throught the kidneys.

What I do know is that statins seem to deplete co-q-10. So do diabetes and heart failure. And low co-q-10 damages your muscles--heart can be first. It actually damages your mitochondrial cells and mitochondrial cells are what keep all of us alive once you get down to the basics. Liver and brain are big energy users (along with heart and skeletal muscle) so could be affected. So anyone on statins should be no a high dose of a high quality co-q-10 supplement. My son has a disorder in his mitochondria and the recommended form from his geneticist (and every other that I know) is from this company. http://www.epic4health.com/

If you google co-q-10 deficiency you'll get lots of information. You can google statins +co-q-10 too. This would be a must if he were my dad and I had run it by the doctors. A typical adult can safely take up to 1600 mg. a day though it would be in divided doses.
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ease_treatment

Co-q-10 can help repair his heart and it can help with diabetes as well.

Fat is processed through the liver and you need co-q-10 to process fat.

What diet do they have him on? Can you keep the same ratios of things and recommendations but use whole foods, soaked grains, etc.? I know from my son that sometimes principals (such as high fat) that are good in general aren't good in specific situations or for certain individuals. For your dad his liver function, kidney function, and diabetes are all things that I think you have to keep in mind when thinking about diet recommendations.
Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 08:42 PM 10-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by supakitty View Post
Do you think that albumin will accomplish diuresis better than a traditional diuretic? I understand the physiology but why would this be superior to something like Lasix?

-Laura
IMvHO yes, the raw eggs are superior. They will deliver the albumin and they will nourish the body with one of the most nutrient dense, easily assimilated foods available.
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 10:31 AM 10-20-2008
My mission for today is to try to get him off the statin & on CoQ10.

Did I mention that he has a huge kidney stone - wanna bet it's calcium?

Did I post this article?

The Cause of Heart Disease: High Cholesterol or Excess Calcium?

Thank you Mamas, for all of your suggestions. He is having a lot of trouble with his appetite & even if we got the go ahead for the eggs, he wouldn't be able to eat them. Foods & smells of foods have been making him nauseous.
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 12:32 PM 10-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
So anyone on statins should be no a high dose of a high quality co-q-10 supplement. My son has a disorder in his mitochondria and the recommended form from his geneticist (and every other that I know) is from this company. http://www.epic4health.com/
They carry this at Vitacost - is this the same product? It has a lot of vit E - I wonder if that's okay for him?
Up