A virus *like* Whooping Cough??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children, DS1 mostly, have been very sick for the last 3 weeks. What started out as a cold/mild asthma, turned into violent coughing and gagging, gasping for air which ended in vomitting!
We treated mostly at home with homeopathic asthma drops and ventolin, which worked mildly. He developed a secondary sinus infection and went on antibiotics. The Dr says this is just a virus that is common and will go away soon. She said "it's just like whooping cough or croup".
Now, I have had a great deal of respect for this Dr before, but this time I am questioning her. This may be a milder case of Whooping Cough in the fact he hasn't been hospitalized, but the symptoms sound exactly what I have read online (whoopingcough.net is a great source!) He has missed 3 weeks of school due to this.
DD (#3) has the same thing, she is unimmunized. Her case seems comparable in severity. Vomitting her milk after nursing every night due to these violent coughing fits. Both of them have had these fits for 3 weeks + now, and are on the medn, but no were near better, and some days are ebtter than others.
I don't want to expose anyone, but if it's jsut a virus "like" whooping cough it's not as dangerous? Also, my ds2 is coming down with something now. If it's Whooping Cough, this would be stage 1, and he should be kept away from people, because this is the frist stage. He will end up missing 3 weeks of school too. I also read it's very beneficial to get antibiotics in the first 2 weeks of the illness to lessen the severity greatly, but if the Dr doesn't beleive it to be Whooping Cough, what do I do? By the time the test results come back it will be too late for the antibiotics to be effective.

Sorry this is so long winded. It's just been a long month and I am not sure of the right plan of action. Ds3 hasn't gotten it yet and would like to prevent that if poss. We are also moving Internationally in 6 weeks so would like everyone to be healthy before we get exposed to the winter viruses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I know known several families that have had viruses were they coughed and coughed for weeks but it wasn't pertussis. If you really want to know then I would insist that they test your DS2 since he is the most recent one. When DH had pertussis, he was told over and over again that it wasn't, only it was. The antibiotics do nothing to lessen the severity, they only kill the toxin that prevents you from transmitting it to others.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM

dh and I had it and I had several practitioners wondering if it was pertussis. It's not, but it's DAMNED close. I have kept it under control with homeopathy. If I slack it comes back full force and it's BAD. Vomiting from coughing, thick horrid phlegm, eating makes it worse, wheezing and a little whoop at the end. Yup, it's going around!

The weird thing is my kids don't have it-they're fine and we've had it for weeks. I have been giving them their remedies prophylactically...maybe that's what did it. It's no fun though.
#4 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 PM

ughhh! We have the same thing! We got it 2 weeks ago and usually after a week of some fabulous nurturing/warm tubs/broth & teas we are doing better, except today I feel just as bad as I did day 3!

I feel achy in the back and neck and TONS of mucous and a deep raspy cough that can catch me in spasms. The kids seem to be recovering better than me but they are still sick too.

(hi firefaery )
#5 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM

I know you! Dammit, you better get better! I'll bring my remedies with me if needed though. I'll also send some love! In fact, call me if you need to. This one sucks, and it figures this is what dh has on top of everything else. Good thing he's got a good wife.
#6 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 PM

dang right he has such a fabulous wife

I will call you tomorrow b/c I could use some remedies.
#7 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is going around in the US also? I live in SE Asia! UGH. Wish I could join you guys in all your wonderful remedies and loving support!

Yeah, I have a homeopathic asthma tincture and it's amazing stuff! It doesn't stop the fits but lessons them in the older ones. It doesn't work so well for the baby-well-she's 2, though.
What else do you have up your sleeve that works?
So, this is "just like whooping cough", but not exactly? What *is* it then? It's aweful, that's for sure.
Luckily I haven't gotten it, but have some sort of virus. One day sore throat next day throat is fine but real stuffy, next day a cough only. Weird.
Man I am so tired from ebing up with my little one coughing so hard she vomits. When does it end? Poor thing must have such a headache! At least she will have strong abs in the end!
#8 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM

I am blessed to have a couple of doctor friends and so far as I know this is EVERYWHERE but noone has named it. It is *just* like pertussis, but....not. We use homeopathy. It appears that this starts out in a decidedly phosphorous way and if you can catch it at the beginning, clinically that appears to work beautifully. The problem is that most of us (ahem) thought it was just a cough and didn't bother *treating* it. Aconite isn't a good choice with this one cause it creeps up on ya. Dh was having alot of wheezing and nausea because the coughing fits were so bad and he is doing great on Nux Vomica (1M) and Tuberculinum. After repping I took Pertussinum(200C) and Kali B (30C) for maintenance. When he was having trouble moving air I did mustard packs, garlic poultices and used hydrotherapy. I also put liquid oxygen in his water. He is dealing right now with probable Addison's and is immunocompromised so he is taking a heck of alot longer to get over this. I have a residual cough, but I'm fine. The right remedy did change things basically overnight.

I supplemented/am supplementing with a really good broad spectrum B and zinc (both of which get used up quickly in illness.) Dh is on 150 mg of zinc daily in divided doses, but that is ALOT. I wouldn't do that much if you don't know what you are doing. For a week or so I feel like 80mg in divided doses is enough for an adult, but that shouldn't be taken for the long haul.

I am not an herb person in illness (funny since I am an herbalist!) because I like other modalities, but herbs can work really well for this cough. Prunus, elecampane, lobelia, usnea, hyssop, lomatia and the like are all decent choices and you can see what resonates with you.
#9 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had what sounds like this several weeks ago. Hit me hard and I had coughing fits that lasted forever (almost vomiting) and I actually had bruising on my chest (either side of my sternum) from the coughing!

I tried OTC stuff and some hydrocodone syrup from an earlier sinus infection dh had in April. That syrup knocked me out and I was woozy from its effects for 2 days (and still coughing!).

I went to the store and bought some Hyland's Cough Syrup For Children. It's orange blossom honey-based and has homeopathics in it, too.

WOW!!! It quieted the cough better than the narcotics (and, faster, too)!

I did end up going to see the doctor, after 3 weeks of the coughing (I just couldn't stand it anymore ). He is a wonderful doctor, not pill-happy. But, he agreed, sometimes it IS time to hit with the antibiotics. He said I'd given it my best shot going naturally, but felt I needed the big guns. So, I got an RX for some. He also stressed the need for acidophellis (sp?) and told me to take plenty of that, as well.

He asked if the Hylands' was working or did I want something stronger? He'd prefer if I kept with the Hyland's! I said no to the stronger stuff, I loved my honey syrup.

I finally felt better after a week on the antibiotics. Boy, that was a cough I don't want to have again. If it comes, I WILL see the doc right away and start the Hyland's right away, too!
#10 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM

ours was viral, not bacterial.
#11 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM

I find it hilarious that I came here to peruse the health and healing threads, and who do I find but my wwow sisters!

I was going to say up your vitamin c and see if it helps. You can check online to find exact doses, but you can take a helluva lot of vitamin c... I think I specifically read about people using it for whooping cough some time ago.
#12 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Yup, Levy references Pauling's numbers for vitamin C and dealing with infectious diseases. i don't love using it supplementally, but I just told flowers on the phone that she could try that too! Nice you see you here, m'dear. :
#13 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

OK guys, you have given wonderful support and advice, but, I am going to lose my mind!!!
DD (23mo) is coughing so much, and I am not getting any sleep! I don't know much about homeopathics to do something on my own, unless it's premade at the Health Food Store. Same with herbs. Oh-I wish I knew more of what I was doing.
I am so close to getting her antibiotics, and I HATE ANITIOBIOTICS! I was really hoping she would last as long as poss without having them! But I put ds (10yo) on them out of desperation as well, and he got better.
This is how desperate I am (it might affect me more due to my own illnesses-adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid, and the fact it's been going on since the 3rd wk of Sept.)
I don't know what I am even asking for, maybe just talking me out of the antibiotics? I am so tired!
#14 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM

okay, you don't need to know a ton to treat acutely. Honestly I would just look at the major cough remedies and chose the one that is the closest fit. It's not going to hurt anything and it certainly could help. You can start with spongia tosta which is for spastic coughs with thick mucus. Spongia is generally better for warm liquids and I know this cough for me was totally aggravated by cold food/beverages. I'm so sorry this sucks so much. Poor little bean. Have you tried using any essential oils in a carrier on her chest to help break things up? Rosemary is really great for respiratory stuff. You can even boil the leaves on the stove and stand over it so that she can breathe it in. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties as well.

I don't like to stop the body's efforts to expel things, but you could try a herbal cough tincture if that feels right to you. Using garlic poultices will act as both antibacterial and antivirals as well as breaking up mucus. I hope things get better for you soon!
#15 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have Thyme oil and Eucolyptus that I put in the infuser at night and also in her bath or dabbed on her shirt. I am in Asia, and although it's very developed and has almost everything you need, it lacks some basic things too.
Will look for the spongia, as this is what her cough is like. Will also look for the hylands cough remedy someone mentioned. I am getting to the point where I cant really put forth the enerrgy to do all the natural things.
Am going to my dr today(an appt i had for myself) and will bring her along. He often has lots of good tricks up his sleeve. I am just too exhausted to do it anymore.
you guys have been so helpful! Will keep you updated on how she's doing. I just feel so bad for her, everything must hurt from cough so violently.
#16 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM

can I go off topic for a second? Something in your post caught my eye and I really want to address it. Natural healing DOES take more effort. And by that I mean it takes more attention. It takes less effort in terms of the body most times, but in terms of caring for it, it is more effort, hands down.

I know that having to do the rubs, the oils, the remedies, the food and teas etc. takes time, but I really believe that is a huge part of healing. We are so used to as a society popping pills and going on our business that it can feel very annoying or inconvenient to pay the kind of attention that natural healing takes. However healing TAKES attention. Part of what you are doing is showing the person or yourself that they matter and are loved enough to warrant that attention and it also introduces the human aspect. We know that people get better just by being touched, so the act of touching someone to administer healing is extremely powerful.

I know if can be alot and I'm not looking to judge anything. I just wanted to make that observation for two reasons. 1. to validate you-it DOES take energy! and 2. to let you know that what you are doing is extremely powerful on many levels. Please believe that. I'm not saying don't give meds if that's what feels right. I'm not there and cannot walk your path. I am saying that no matter what be present and conscious during this time. She will understand and it is quite a gift.
#17 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
can I go off topic for a second? Something in your post caught my eye and I really want to address it. Natural healing DOES take more effort. And by that I mean it takes more attention. It takes less effort in terms of the body most times, but in terms of caring for it, it is more effort, hands down.

I know that having to do the rubs, the oils, the remedies, the food and teas etc. takes time, but I really believe that is a huge part of healing. We are so used to as a society popping pills and going on our business that it can feel very annoying or inconvenient to pay the kind of attention that natural healing takes. However healing TAKES attention. Part of what you are doing is showing the person or yourself that they matter and are loved enough to warrant that attention and it also introduces the human aspect. We know that people get better just by being touched, so the act of touching someone to administer healing is extremely powerful.

I know if can be alot and I'm not looking to judge anything. I just wanted to make that observation for two reasons. 1. to validate you-it DOES take energy! and 2. to let you know that what you are doing is extremely powerful on many levels. Please believe that. I'm not saying don't give meds if that's what feels right. I'm not there and cannot walk your path. I am saying that no matter what be present and conscious during this time. She will understand and it is quite a gift.
WOW! You hit it spot on! The validation was exactly what I needed, and the fact you still explained how important it all is made it so worth everything. I know it's worth it, and is the best, but sometimes I feel like it takes so long and maybe isn't the best, especially when I am the only one who beleives this is the right way. DH would just rather do Antibiotics and get it over with. But our body's are amazing and can do amazing things given the right help and tools.
Truthfully, due to exhaustion, I was getting impatient and intolerant with her at night, not supportive *ashamed*. But, after hearing your encouragement and validation, I felt renewed and like I can continue on for a while longer. Thank you so much! (((((hugs)))))

She isn't doing any better, and at times I feel like she's getting worse. Tomorrow I find out my test results for Mycoplasma. Dr wants to treat the whole family if it's positive. Not sure what I will do yet. I did get the Hyland's Cough and Cold syrup today, they didn't have the Cough and honey syrup, bummer. So, hopefully this will help a little. Poor baby, she is so tired and I bet achey.
Thanks for all the support!
#18 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 AM

Great thread. I am on week three of this horrible virus. It sucks. Thankfully, my DSs have not gotten it.
#19 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM

Well, my kids have seemed to kick it before me. I did start a regiment of emergen-C, Zinc and have been doing warm baths with essential oils at night (which feels really good!) and I do feel better. I know exactly what you were saying firefaery-about how its still there but somehow mellows out a bit.

Getting ready for a big trip tomorrow and I feel like I will be in pretty good shape. I am a full two weeks into this today.

Thanks for all the great advice firefaery!!!!!
#20 of 20 Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM

We are in Utah and also seem to have this virus. My poor kids can't stop coughing it is awful. They sound like they have whooping cough we have not been tested but my older is almost completely vaxed and my 3 year old little sister who has it also that I baby sit is also vaxed my 2 year old had her first round and nothing else. I would think at least one of the older vaxed kids would not have gotten it plus my nephews, mil, sil, bil, all have it also. But my husband has not caught it so far and the most I have gotten is a soar throat, fever, headache.
I took my daughter in to the doc in the beginning and they strep tested her and said it was positive gave her ab (I know) I should have not used them they didn't really seem to help her compared to what the other kids have gone through anyways and they all still got sick so what was the point? That was her first time and last time with them.
Anyways my friend swears by using silver I asked the doctor about using it and he warned against it saying not to ingest it as it is a metal. Anyone have any opinions on this? I am sending hubby to go get the Vit C.

TIA

User Tag List