Acidopholus for 7 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alec (7.5 months) is on antibiotics for an ear infection. I know that he needs acidopholus to help prevent diarrhea, but I don't know how much. I opened one of my capsules, dipped my finger in and let him suck it off. I did that 4 or 5 times and will do it each time he takes the antibiotics. Does that sound right? Should I have special baby acidopholus or is it okay to use the regular?

Also, will it help prevent any thrush? I know if *I* were on abx it would, but could him being on abx cause thrush in the first place? I'm deathly afraid of thrush, so anything I can do to prevent it, I'm gonna do!

Thanks!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 02:59 PM

Hi, There's a really similar thread just a couple down from yours. It may have the answers you're looking for! Good luck
#3 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, I just noticed that thread. Too funny. Nobody said whether it's okay to open a regular capsule and give baby that acidopholus. Do you know if that's okay or do I need the infant kind?

#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 10:29 PM

Could you try "Yo Baby" an Organic yougart made by Stonyfield Farms. (Of course I didn't note your state location, so you may not even have a store that sells that!) At any rate, I know yougart has great live active cultures that are good for the body. Our chiropractor told us when dd had her 1st ear infection that we could add acidopholus to some yougart for her. I don't know if your ds is eating solids, and if so what kind, but this may help!

I tend to live by "A yougart a day keeps cankers away."
When my 7-year old ds was 9 months old, he had his first canker, we started giving a yougart, and he hasn't had one since! (Knock on wood!)
#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

We do have YoBaby at stores here (Dallas), but Alec has dairy protein intolerance. If I have dairy and he gets it in breastmilk he screams 24/7, throws up, and sleeps even less than he normally does. So, we won't be doing any yogurt . Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#6 of 7 Old 04-07-2002, 11:37 PM

Bummer you can't use YoBaby-ds loves it. I know they make Soy Yogurt, but have never looked to see if they fortify w/probiotics, etc...

Yes, our ND gave us a bottle of
HMF: Lactobacillus & Bifidobacterium Culture by INterPlexus

Prob. in the fridge section of a good health food store.

I'm assuming any brand is fine, but I don't know. It did take 2 tries to find one that ds liked.

We have him 1/2 capsule 2x/day.
#7 of 7 Old 04-08-2002, 01:41 AM

I'm really picky, but I like Probiotics, which is a whole range of intestinal flora bacteria. I use one that is free of common allergens - dairy, corn, wheat etc. As mentioned before, should be in the refrigerated section of a health food/type store. But read the label! Some manufactured for use in infants have corn syrup solids. I'm not convinced that my DS didn't get sensitized to corn when he had to be on antibiotics at day 12 because of a bladder infection and I gave him some infant Probiotics grown on that stuff.

Barbara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page