Anyone have any experience with Uterine Fibroid Embolization? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, I had my follow-up with my GYN-OB. I went to here because my stomach has not gone done since the birth of my twins 17 months ago. I told her that I still look about 5 months pregnant. Well, I was diagnosed with Diastasis Recti and I was also ordered to get an ultrasound. Well, the ultrasound found I large fibroid (which I already knew I had) which was now the size of a large grapefruit behind my uterus. She recommended a hysterectomy since my uterus was so large. I am very reluctant to have a hysterectomy because I heard so many bad things associated with the surgery. I asked her about Uterine Fibroid Embolization and was told that my fibroid was too large. She recommended that if didn't want the surgery right now, she could prescribe Zolodex.

I went online and researched my options and a lot of the literature states that my fibroid is not too large for the procedure. I also kind of reluctant to do it because of anesthesia. I had a laser myomectomy about 3 years and I had to have breathing treatments because I had trouble coming out of the anesthesia.

Anyway, has anyone had any experience with UFE for large fibroid? Did you have any complications? Was there any difference in the size of the fibroid after the procedure.

Any responses would be great since I have to make some decisions soon about my treatment. Thanks!

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#2 of 2 Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am an ultrasound tech and have done MANY ultrasounds on patients pre and post fibroid embolization. And from my experience no fibroid is TOO big to be embolized and infact I believe it is the bigger ones that have more success in responding well to the embolization. Definitely get a second opinion on that one! In Canada you would see an Interventional Radiologist to see if you would qualify for the procedure, I'm not sure how it works in the USA. Also, you said your fibroid sits behind your uterus. If a lot of the fibroid is exophytic (hanging outside the uterus) then a myomectomy may be a better option for you. That involves surgery to remove just the fibroid itself. Fibroids tend to grow when you are pregnant because they are hormone greedy (they shrink after menopause). So, if you plan on having any future children this fibroid will only get bigger if left alone.

PS I think suggesting a hysterectomy for a single fibroid is ridiculous unless it is causing you to hemorrhage uncontrollably all the time and lose to much blood each month (which I gather is not the case). Most women don't resort to a hysterectomy until the bleeding gives them no choice. I think you have two much better options at hand!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page