Help! Super Dry Fingertips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the last couple years I have been getting these super dry fingertips during the winter. I taught Kg (until the arrival of DS this past summer) and so I was washing my hands A LOT (messy projects, germs, etc.). Sometime during the winter the tips would get very dry, like sandpaper. It's a very annoying sensation when they touch anything that's not completely smooth - touching fabric is just awful. It's like my fingertips are the rougher side of a velcro closure and they catch on things that aren't smooth.

Now, with a baby, I am washing my hands all the time, too, and this year the dry fingertips have started before winter has even arrived. I try moisturizing throughout the day (after hand washing whenever possible). I'm even using Lansinoh frequently on them. But nothing seems to be helping.

It's driving me crazy! Any suggestions? Is there some sorta "home spa" type treatment that could help?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 8 Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 AM

I get really really dry hands too, I care for kids in my home and I'm washing my hands all day long. You may want to try different soaps, some are harsher than others. Also, I gave up regular lotion. It is mostly alcohol, which is drying, so using it is a vicious cycle. Lansinoh is great - put it on at night and then wear cotton gloves to bed. Also, try shea butter. My favorite new "lotion" is Skin Food by Weleda. Spendy but worth it!

When my hands get really bad and the kids have really runny noses, I wear latex type gloves and just wash my hands with the gloves on.

Please share if you figure out something that really works!!
#3 of 8 Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

I forgot - make sure you are hydrating/lubricating your body too! Drink lots of water and be sure to get enough oils (flax or fish). Also, there are some dietary things that can affect dryness, citrus fruits for sure, I can't remember the others right now.

Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been putting my lanolin on at least 6 times a day and we started using a humidifier in the bedroom at night...and I'm pleased to say that I'm seeing an improvement.

DH thinks it's funny that I'm using "nipple cream" on my fingers...

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM

I get the dry fingertips as well. It sounds simple but I notice if I'm in a hurry and don't take the time to thoroughly dry my hands after washing, they get much more dry and chapped.
#6 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM

I have very dry hands as well. My dermatologist suggest a cheap alternative is to use Vaseline Creamy soon after washing them. I also heard aobut wearing gloves and socks to keep the moisture in but I hate wearing them. Water is good. I'm always forgetting to drink enough of it during the day.
#7 of 8 Old 05-25-2014, 01:43 AM

i have the exact same problem except its all the time still don't know how to get rid of it

#8 of 8 Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Increasing my water intake makes a huge difference for me. I often don't feel as thirsty in the winter and have to remind myself to drink. When it's really bad I use a quart jar for my drinking glass so I only have to remember to drink 2 or 3 quarts instead of a bunch of glasses. Lanolin helps me too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page