Fever - how high do you let it go? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 11-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
I need to jump in here with a question.. My son is 18 months and has a fever- 103 under the armpit. He's clearly uncomfortable- right now he's nursing and seems okay, sometimes he's inconsolably crying, and sometimes he's just whining. I did give him tylenol last night to try to help everyone sleep, and it didn't help much so i'm hesitant to give it again. for those of you who don't medicate, do you give anything else? when he's done nursing i'll see how he feels and i may try the bath.. i'm just nervous about what may be causing this..
Has he been vaccinated recently? If you choose vaccinations, never rule out an adverse reaction
#32 of 35 Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM
luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
And for very very young ones (under a year or so old) extremely high fevers can lead to a mess of problems, like brain injury.
When my uncle was under a year old he had an extended high grade fever due to meningitis. The end result was he never developed mentally past the age of two.

High fevers put me on alert.

My daughter just had her first fever last night. When it woke her (and I) up in the middle of the night at 102.8, I medicated. She was clearly very uncomfortable. I've been watching her closely since and it has continued to come down without further medication. If at any point her fever was 104 or above and did not respond to medication I'd be getting the doc on the phone. While I agree that most low~mid grade fevers are helping the body I do plan on medicating when she is clearly uncomfortable or the fever reaches 104~5(ish).

-luv
#33 of 35 Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
When my uncle was under a year old he had an extended high grade fever due to meningitis. The end result was he never developed mentally past the age of two.

So sorry about your uncle

But the damage was due to the meningitis, not the fever alone.

-Angela
#34 of 35 Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
So sorry about your uncle

But the damage was due to the meningitis, not the fever alone.

-Angela
That is exactly what I was going to say. I am very sorry your family had to deal with this, but it wasn't a result of fever. The meningitis was the issue. Fever is an alert that the body is working. It will not damage in and of itself. I don't think that anyone on this thread has said to ignore a fever, just that if it's presenting on it's OWN it's best to let it do it's job. In your uncle's case, it wasn't presenting alone. I would be very suprised if anyone here said not to treat meningitis. We may have different ways of doing it, but I *think* we all would.

Again, I'm very sorry.
#35 of 35 Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, it's been fantastic to read through all the replies

In DH's family (full of doctors and people who believe everything the doctor says) there is such a paranoia about fever.
When someone (anyone) is sick, the first thing that is asked is "do they have a fever?" and then 'How high" and then "is it responding to medication?"

Tepid baths and washclothes and herbal teas would be met with complete disbelief and mutterings of our child being abused.

So, I was wanting to hear other people's experiences just to feel a little more confident about not rushing to give a paracetamol suppository.

I am tempted to not use a thermometer and just go on how my child looks/feels.... but I don't see DH being comfortable with this - in the near future anyway. (we are working out our differences.... who ever thought it would be easy to share responsibility for your child's health when there are such differences in medical philosophy - but I digress)

I have read that febrile fevers, while very scary, do not cause convulsive disorders.

Anyway, for me it is still all theoretical. But thank you all for sharing :

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page