sleep remedies for kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-18-2003, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (2.5 yrs) has been having less than peaceful sleep for the last few months- nightmares, waking up crying, etc. Obviously, I care most deeply about figuring out the root causes, and, after trying to figure out what's up for many months, I've decided that she's a really happy kid who is having some sleep disturbances. Yes, they are worse when she has had a hectic day or when she's overheated, but sometimes it's just that she wakes up upset every night. I'm ready to try some herbal relief. I haven't had much luck with homeopathy for her for sleep. I'm thinking about trying Herbs for Kids' Valerian Super Calm or Chamomile Calm. Valerian does wonders for me at night! Any experience with these? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 11-18-2003, 11:34 AM

I haven't tried those, but I have used Lavendar oil and also Cammomile tea to help soothe/calm my kids to sleep.
#3 of 8 Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM

We have used Valerian Super Calm a few times. Good luck helping your little one (and you) get some rest.
-brookely ash
#4 of 8 Old 11-18-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, DD sleeps with us- starts the night in a bed next to ours and climbs in our big bed sometime in the night. She used to sleep soundly in her bed until 5 or 6 am, but lately is getting in with us around 1 or 2. I feel like if she can get back in a more settled sleep pattern, she'll be able to take it from there without herbal help.
#5 of 8 Old 11-18-2003, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Catnip (as in tea) helps to promote drowsiness and is supposed to help prevent nightmares.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 8 Old 11-19-2003, 05:28 PM

Safe and effective remedies for toddlers:

*Calms Forte (homeopathic remedy)
*chamomile tea
*catnip tea
*valerian and/or passionflower tincture
*warm bath w/ lavender oil before bed
*diffuser w/ lavender and/or bergamot oil in bedroom
*massage w/ a few drops of oils listed above in grapeseed or jojoba oil
*homeopathic chamomilla
*Rescue Remedy (flower essence) for anxiety or nervous tension

There is something to be said about the old remedy of "warm milk". Sometimes I make my son a cup of chamomile tea w/ a bit of honey and some organic 1/2 & 1/2 added before bed, and it seems to put him into a very restful, deep sleep.
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2003, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bebe luna
There is something to be said about the old remedy of "warm milk". Sometimes I make my son a cup of chamomile tea w/ a bit of honey and some organic 1/2 & 1/2 added before bed, and it seems to put him into a very restful, deep sleep.
ditto. We call that "night-night tea" around here. It's part of our normal routine and has made a big difference. I've used stevia instead of honey.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 8 Old 12-01-2003, 12:04 PM

I just bought this for myself and my DH : http://www.hmedicine.com/shopping/pr...9/b_king%20bio

b/c of our restless sleep and constant weaking and I decided to give it a try and gave it to my 3 months old son whose sleep is extremely restless. He is very loud during sleeping, moving around, crying yo uname it. Since it is a homeopathicum, it's toally safe for babies so I tried - AMAZING!!!!!!! He now sleeps like a STONE! Even his naps are longer and he is much more rested and HAPPY! And I am happy even more b/c I can get MORE sleep finally!! I am trully amazed!

I'd say - TRY IT!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page