Leaky gut/speech delay resources? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone share resources that talk about leaky gut, milk allergies, and speech delays? Also, easy-to-implement strategies for taking a baby off of dairy? Thanks.
#2 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM

have you checked out the Healing the Gut sticky in H&H yet? Lots of good resources there.
#3 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/mmr.htm

Quote:
Wakefield found that the MMR vaccine increases the permeability of the bowel, causing "leaky gut syndrome."
#4 of 13 Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM

The folks in the Allergies sub-forum under Health & Healing are great with leaky gut and working around allergens (I'm using allergens in the broadest sense, any food that causes a negative reaction, not just anaphalactic-type reactions). We're gfcf and although it was a lot of work initially, it's become a whole lot easier over time.

ETA: Oh, and I think Kenneth Bock's book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics, is a good read. It discusses the overlap of gut health and toxins and the various ways these can manifest in different kids (my kids are mostly affected by the toxin part of that, and the two of them manifest in very different ways, so I guess it speaks to me because it describes our situation so well).
#5 of 13 Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Since the OP is seeking info regarding leaky gut & interventions I'm moving to H&H.
#6 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 AM

it's actually relatively easy to "take a baby off dairy". Since you control all the food that goes into him, stop giving it to him. Sounds simplistic but that's the way it has to be done. You can look for subs but some are better than others. And if it's an intolerance, then soy often goes with it, so it's best not to sub all your dairy with soy. You can do coconut milk yogurt (I make a batch almost every week or two) for good probiotics. Do bone broth for healing. If you're still nursing, you need to stay off it too. Look for hidden ingredients. But definitely go over to Allergies. There's tons of information there. Do you know for sure it's dairy or is it just a gut feeling or have you been doing a food journal, elimination, etc?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 AM

Can you give us some more information? Is your LO drinking milk-based formula, or actually drinking cow's milk? You're not asking about speech delays for the babe in your sig, are you (that's not even 1yo yet)? That seems really early to worry about speech delays.

I agree with kj- come on over to the allergy forum. Lots and lots of dairy-free moms there!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#8 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

A bit more info, since I posted rather quickly. This is not for my son -- he eats mama's milk and is very verbal!

This is for my 2.5 year old niece who is showing signs of speech delays/speech problems. She had some dairy sensitivities as a baby (my sister had to stop eating *any* dairy while breastfeeding). My sister is hesitant to see the connection between milk/speech, which is why I asked for simple-to-implement tips/strategies. She gives her glass upon glass of chocolate milk, for pete's sake!! I've suggested chocolate almond milk, but she hasn't bought it yet. I also suspect this is a classic MMR reaction to her gut, making her dairy sensitivity even worse. The allergy forum -- I'll check it out now. I just want to present really valid, easy information my sister can start using today. Thanks.
#9 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Personally, I'm doubtful of the whole "outgrowing" intolerances thing. One thing with kids who are intolerant from the get-go (mine was a projectile vomiter whenever I ingested milk) is you think they outgrow it because they change symptoms. Mine went from a vomiter, to a night time screamer to a bedwetter, to a leg pain in the middle of the night screamer.... I keep thinking he's healed, then he gets it back. Takes me a little while to figure out the connection, take him off dairy, and oh look, whatever the symptom was, it disappears again. Some people go from colic to eczema to something else. Speech delays could be from fluid in the ears which can be from milk intolerance (or another intolerance, but dairy is likely if she was already milk intolerant at one point).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 13 Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know if I should advise my sister to cut out just milk, or should she take my niece off all dairy (butter, ice cream, cheese, etc.)? Does this also include items that are made with butter (cookies, cakes, etc.)? How soon could she potentially see an improvement?
#11 of 13 Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Ideally your sister would remove all dairy products until she felt your niece was no longer having symptoms at all. At that point she could do trials of butter, yogurt, cheese, etc to see what is tolerated and what isn't.

As far as the connection with a speech delay - I think it really depends on exactly what's causing the delay. For example - in the case of my 12 month old - she was a projectile vomitter from about 2 weeks old (as soon as she was nursing enough to actually vomit). As a result she developed reflux pain and would arch incessantly - as the OT we consulted explained - to get away from the pain. The arching led to her having "high tone" in which her muscles were not balanced well which led to her having an uncoordinated tongue movement and suck which led to difficulty nursing. She gradually improved to the point where she can now nurse effectively although unconventionally - she still arches during a let down so my nipple is stretched as far as it will go. But now she has been slow to progress on solids, has difficulty getting into a quaduped position (all 4s) so crawling is also unconventional, and I fully expect delayed speech. In this case the answer in addition to getting rid of the food intolerances causing the reflux, is playing with her an positions that encourage more normal muscle tone. A different baby whose speech delay is similarly connected to the food intolerance may have a totally different path of getting there, yk? So this probably doesn't give you anything useful. But I found it incredibly helpful to consult with other people. This convoluted story above I never would have figured out on my own. It took consulting with LC's, OT's, ST's, chiropractors, and MD's, and all the smart Mamas on MDC to figure this out.

If your niece is having a speech delay at 2 1/2 I would strongly advocate for an EI eval, if she isn't already getting services.

HTH's -

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#12 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- good ideas. She is getting therapy services -- but it shocks me that the therapist hasn't suggested leaky gut or any modified diet. I brought it up to my sister and she is interested but not entirely convinced it's worth trying.
#13 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 04:28 PM

I just don't think food intolerances are given much consideration in modern western medicine. I have a good friend whose little boy had horrible reflux from birth - age 2. He had severe speech delays along with sensory integration issues that made it hard to get him to eat. And he was a carbaholic. He's now 4 and much better, but at the time his mama would have done anything to help him - she was desperate for ideas and I never thought to suggest food intolerances. Apparently no-one else did either because I recently asked her (we were talking about my dd and another friend's baby who has food sensitivities leading to reflux) if she tried eliminating foods from her son's diet. She said it never occured to her to try it. Of all the people she took that baby to no one ever even mentioned the possibility.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page