Post-Pneumonia Healing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How do I go about getting a vitamin D blood test?

And he's under 50 lbs. They weighed him at hospital intake and he was only 42.5 lbs, although I think he's put on a little weight since then.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just wanted to add that you should be getting as much probiotic into him as he'll take (two hours apart from abx)! Also, the elderberry syrup we use is called "Eldertussin", its an Herbs for Kids product, and it tastes really, really good. The grown ups in our house use it too. Anyway, when you run out of what you've got, maybe you could see if your hfs stocks it. It's got elderberry, echinacea, wild cherry bark, horehound and chamomile in it. I think I'd keep him on it all winter, actually.
Poor little thing. Do take care of yourself too!

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

There are 2 HFS in my general area- one is more expensive but has a better selection of herbs and stuff; the other has better prices, less selection in the HFS specific stuff, but carries kosher meats and a wider variety of general foods. In an effort to streamline my shopping trips, I went to the store where I could get most of my foods in one stop and picked up what herbal remedies they carried. I'll try to get to the other store soon and see if they have a better tasting elderberry syrup. I've been taking it as well (since I've been under the weather and I don't want to catch what he has!) so it won't be a problem if I get the tastier stuff for him before this bottle is used up; I can finish that bottle.

Keeping him on the elderberry syrup all winter sounds like a much more effective idea than the vaccines the ped wants to give him!

I still haven't had a chance to get a children's multivitamin. I should see if he can swallow the adult version I purchased for DD2. (nope, the pills rae too big but he took an "adult chewable multivitamin" originally purchased for DD1) The only vitamns he's taken lately is vitamin C (which I finally got him to take today- I mixed together ascorbic acid crystals with baking soda, sugar, orange juice, and water this morning, and I've been giving him a squirt (1 tsp) every few hours. I told him I want him to finish the cup by the end of the day.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aw man! poor little guy!! and you too, take care of yourself mama.

for the elderberry, can you mix w/ honey to make more of a syrup? thats how I get it down my kids.

Onion packs. ugh they are nasty! but work w/ the chest congestion. warm an onion in a wool sock and wrap on chest. better than a mustard plaster for us wheat intolerant persons

in the future you can make your own elderberry tincture - I like to keep it on hand in the winter. google it - tons of recipes. I bought my elderberries from frontier co-op.

I feel for you and him. I just had that over the summer - its an evil bug that landed me in the ER also.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I have onions and I have thin wool dress socks and I have thick cotton socks. Oh, I think I have some thick wool knee socks that shunk in the wash and have the bottoms all worn out but are still thick in the leg part.

Explain this "onion pack" to me- how do I warm an onion in a sock, how do I put it on him, for how long, and why is it nasty?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 AM

i dont know about onion packs, but i make cough syrup by finely chopping an onion an putting it in a jar with a few big dollops of honey. wait an hour or 2 at least, and a liquid forms that you can pour off, spoonful at a time.
its a great cough syrup and it's yummy

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Ok, I have onions and I have thin wool dress socks and I have thick cotton socks. Oh, I think I have some thick wool knee socks that shunk in the wash and have the bottoms all worn out but are still thick in the leg part.

Explain this "onion pack" to me- how do I warm an onion in a sock, how do I put it on him, for how long, and why is it nasty?
its what my parents would do for us when we had chest congestion. I suppose it helps the blood flow and drawing up mucus? I don't know but whatever it does it helps LOL

I think my mom used to warm the onion in the oven (as it was pre-microwave LOL) but now I nuke the onion (not too hot or if it is double wrap the onion), put it in the sock and then put it on the chest wrapping it securely w/ a towel or something to make it tight. We wore it as long as it was warm - I think they would do it at night - which is what i do with my sons.

Its nasty because you end up smelling like cooked onion :
Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I got the better-tasting elderberry syrup. I decided against getting the kind with echinacha added, because I remember reading that echinachea shouldn't be used daily for weeks on end. I'll give that separately on an as-needed basis. I also got more chewable multivitamins and a separate chewable zinc since the multi is low on zinc.

It was very, very nice to go out alone for a couple of hours (including the HFS)- mentally I've been needing a break.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM

I just read all this- how's he doing? DD1 had pneumonia 2 years ago- it's pretty awful.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

He's doing a lot better, but he's nowhere near 100% yet.

I, however, am starting to fall apart.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 AM

Ruth, I just found this thread :
sounds like you are doing all good things for your ds
the elderberry is great, btw "new chapter" make an elderberry lozenge,which ds might prefer, I sent a bunch with dd to camp in the summer, she said they are o.k. Another thing I have done is add it to a little grape juice, somehoe it seems more palatable to my younger kids.

you should really get some SA (sodium ascorbate ) I think NOW makes some, or else we just get it from Bronson lab online. It can be taken while on antibiotics and I would continue with a lower dosage for the rest of the winter, at the first sign of him comming down with a cold increase to bowel tolerence. Start taking some yourself!!!

btw ds (now 14) had pneumonia when he was about 4, thank G-d, it was pretty mild though, we did give him abx for 10 days etc; and he coughed for about 3 months no matter what and then it just went away. when I took him afterwards to my dr. she said it was probably pertussis...who knows , it could have been, many kids with pertussis have pneumonia and don't have the classic whoop so are not dx correctly. just something else to think about.

hope you are o.k.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have powdered ascorbic acid that I've been mixing with sodium bicarbonate (and sugar and OJ and water) to give to DS. I mix up a big cup in the morning and give him a squirt (teaspoonful in oral syringe) throughout the day. Plus he's getting a multivitamin, extra zinc, probiotics, and elderberry syrup.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

The pediatrician gave him a clean bill of health this morning and said he's ready to go back to school, and that we don't need to bring him back again until his next regular checkup unless he gets sick or injured again (which he managed to do 15 minutes after we returned home.) I'm not so sure he's ready to go back to school; the school principal said that DS could come back part-time at first if full days are too much. But at this point, we're done with dealing with the drs for this illness and his activities are up to my discretion.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ruth, good job getting him through this, it sounds grueling. Seriously, good job getting him better.

I can only imagine how stressed out and tired out I'd be feeling if I had to go through something like this.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
The pediatrician gave him a clean bill of health this morning and said he's ready to go back to school, and that we don't need to bring him back again until his next regular checkup unless he gets sick or injured again (which he managed to do 15 minutes after we returned home.) I'm not so sure he's ready to go back to school; the school principal said that DS could come back part-time at first if full days are too much. But at this point, we're done with dealing with the drs for this illness and his activities are up to my discretion.
I see what's going on here! you're just jumping from one thread to another for your DS

glad he's getting over the pneumonia anyway

Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
He's doing a lot better, but he's nowhere near 100% yet.

I, however, am starting to fall apart.
It's so hard to take care of yourself when you are caring for a sick child. Give yourself permission to fall apart a little, let things slide, just what what you have to do get through each day. Somedays I think I have just adopted that motto as my normal life now, and that is ok, because at the end of the day it's all about what allows you to remain sane. And do you have any bubble wrap to wrap that child in before he gives you a heart attack?

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

User Tag List