Natural Pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Hot Mamas,

I am due in the end of January and I am just starting to look for a pediatrician for this little bopper. We just moved to a new area, so I don't have any really solid recommendations from anyone of where to go.

We really want to find a pediatrician with more natural leanings. Unfortunately finding any kind of holistic or naturopath dr in this area is impossible. We even have to travel about an hour to meet with the only homebirth midwife in the vicinity.

Anyway, We are starting to schedule office consults with the drs and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of questions that we can ask to try to tip us off on whether or not the dr will support our more natural inclinations with regards to health (ie not prescribing on a whim etc.)

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Find a D.O. or a Family Practitioner. They're almost always more laid back and preventative-focused than a Ped.

Have you researched vaccinations yet? I'd make that a priority so that I could find a like-minded health care provider.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Great! thanks I will look into family practitioners and DOs.

Sigh, Yes I have started the immense project of vaccine research. Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of our recent relocation is that we moved to NJ which from what I understand requires all the vaccines unless you opt out for religious reasons. So it's basically an all or nothing situation, which seems so ridiculous and counter productive to me.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 PM

We opt out in Florida of a couple of vaccines for "religious reasons." The authorities have no right to ask you what those religious reasons are, what your religion is, etc. If you don't want to vaccinate, or want to vaccinate selectively, choose the religious reasons exemption.

I also asked my ped about extended breastfeeding as a gauge. (She nursed hers for 18 mos - mine is still going strong at 3.5 and she hasn't said anything negative about it).
Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 PM

I'll second a FP or a DO but, I should warn that even though DOs are often more alternatively trained, not all are. I learned *that* the hard way. I'd recommend staying away from large and hospital based practices. A lof of those docs are right out of school and still have fresh medical school memories.. sometimes the older docs are more likely to go with the 'wait and see' approach instead of 'blast everything with abx' approach.

Breastfeeding support is something that I've used as a gauge myself. My FP has a BF support group that meets in her office. I though that was pretty cool. Although, she can be quite medically oriented. She spent years as an ER doc an that leaves a mark.

One other thing to consider is whether there's a nurse practitioner in the office. Sometimes, but not all, the NPs are more holistically oriented but there's really no way of knowing unless you ask. It's often way easier to see an NP that day than it is to see a doc.

What you could do is go over to the tribes area and get recommendations from people who live where you do.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM

My midwife's #1 choice for baby doctors (a female family practice doc) isn't taking new patients, so I'm on the hunt for a doctor as well. There is a D.O. who works with the local rural clinic as well as the Native American tribal clinic who is homebirth friendly and has offered to work with my MW (a CPM) to order ultrasounds, vitamin K shots, etc. that she wouldn't normally have access to. I'm going to see if he'll take us on... if not, I'm going to give another D.O. who is new to one of the local practices a try.

We intend to at least delayed vax, so I'd like to find somebody who isn't going to give me a hard time every time I see them. Information is fine, repeated lectures or scare tactics are not.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I'll second a FP or a DO but, I should warn that even though DOs are often more alternatively trained, not all are.
I agree! And it can very hard to search and interview doctors. How about asking people in a Le Leche League or a local chiropractor for a recommendation. As a chiropractor, I know my local docs who are anti-vaccine or at least supportive in your choices. Just an idea.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Old 11-15-2008, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Health and Healing

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM

User Tag List