The Thyroid Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Hypo due to Hashi's here. I was diagnosed after an ER visit due to dehydration (gut issues) and I never would have guessed as I've spent most of my life fearing diabetes.

I went through the u/s of nodules, FNA biopsy, and now another u/s in three months because endo wants to see if the nodules are shrinking. I take 100mcg Synthroid daily and my TSH is below 3 now when it was 53 at first.

The depression and anxiety is still awful for me. I take scrips but I am wanting to get off of them in the next nine months (sooner rather than later) and try a more natural way again. I also have rage issues, it's "nice" to see other people with similar problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM

I am Hypo. I got diagnosed a couple of months ago. Seems like it kicked in for me after pregnancy. I had a son last September 30th who died a week after birth... as if I did not have enough going on with grieving for him I got striked with the darn hypothyroidsm and I feel like a dog most days. I went to the midwive (practices with a OBGYN) and they started me on synthroid but I need to go back and I *KNOW* my dose needs to be upped because I still feel horrible. Tired all the time, fogged up, cold, and I have gained a bunch of weight. I was in tip top shape during my pregnancy and lost all my weight the day my son was born but now I am heavier than I was at 9 mo. with him I really feel horrendous. I think I am going to find a good endo to manage my thyroid issues as I dont think my midwife obgyn is good enough for this. Other than for this they are great though I rather just go with someone that deals with this all the time. Anyway... I am rambling... probably a thyroid symptom My periods are irregular and that is what made me go get bloodwork and how we found out. I am hoping to get pregnant again soon but I need to get back to fit first and make sure that i have the hypothyroidsm under controls. Fun Fun!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Did anyones lymph nodes swell and shrink depending on your levels? I am hyper and my thyroid is enlarged, and I also have some enlarged nodes like I am fighting off something. NAK or I would say more!
~Angela~
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Update~I was tested and found to be hypothyroid. Whew! I was pretty sure that was what was wrong, but it's always scary having the symptoms I was having and not knowing for sure. I've been started on a low dose of generic Synthroid and go back in a few weeks to be retested and have my dose adjusted. But I am already feeling fabulous! I'm not 100%, but I'm certainly miles closer than I was just a couple of weeks ago. I just wish I hadn't kept putting off being tested until I got so sick.

If you think you're having thyoid problems........GET TESTED!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM

Another hypo here. I had hashimotos with antibodies. My initial TSH was 249. Yup that's two hundred forty nine. I was really tired and really cold all the time. My thinking was also pretty foggy in the few months before I got a diagnosis- I felt like I couldn't focus on anything, which was really scary. I just thought my symptoms were because I was working nights, a lot of overtime, going to school during the day, and just plain worn out from it all. Synthroid has been like a little drop of heaven for me.

Does anyone here take Armour thyroid? I have read some of Mary Shomon's stuff on thyroid and she seems to be a big advocate of armour type replacements. I've felt quite good on generic synthroid (150 mcg right now- my last TSH was 0.57- yay!), so haven't really investigated any other treatment. I'd love to hear any experiences with with the more natural armour type products.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 PM
EBG

Could I be hypo?
I am always cold, especially feet, losing a ton of hair, and I have rage issues...
Is there anyone here who is trying to treat it without meds? Like special diet, supplements and sea salt?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:06 PM

Another borderline case here, looking for herbal/nutritional thyroid support tips. Has anybody tried an herbal formula or individual herbs that have helped? I've often seen bladderwrack (a seaweed, for extra iodine), but most other herbs are aimed at specific symptoms rather than systemic support.

Also, those of you who adjusted your dosages during pregnancy, did you need more or less Synthroid pregnant? What about postpartum? Was it always a reduction after having a baby?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney

Also, those of you who adjusted your dosages during pregnancy, did you need more or less Synthroid pregnant? What about postpartum? Was it always a reduction after having a baby?
I've had my dose stay the same and also need to be increased both during pregnancy and postpartum. I had different needs during each of my pregnancies. I made sure the OB office did a TSH panel during each trimester. And with my first, my endo insisted I come in and have him check it, too. After my first, I was able to rely on the OB tests and monitor it myself. This last pregnancy was the only time I needed to increase my dose. Thyroid meds should always be taken seperately from prenatal vitamins (and food) to maximize absorption.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 PM

I've been doing some research and I'd like to know how many of you mama's with thyroid problems have had your tonsils taken out.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant
I've been doing some research and I'd like to know how many of you mama's with thyroid problems have had your tonsils taken out.
Is there a connection?
I got mine taken out when I was 8. I'm not sure if I'm Hypo but I think so...
My mother still has them and she is definitely hypothyroid.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Well apparently if you have no tonsils your thyroid takes over the job of your tonsils and your thyroid "forgets" how to do it's original purpose.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 PM

So do those of you who are hypo have a problem with weight gain? I've gained 18 lbs in just over 2 months and it's getting depressing
Old 09-03-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Mine were taken out at five years old.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 PM

I still have my tonsils. Hashimotos/Hypo thyroid runs in my family. It goes back 3 generations that I am aware of.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 PM

I still have my tonsils but struggle with a huge thyroid and am hypo

afro.jpg
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM

How long did it take some of you to feel "better"? I'm hypo..diagnosed in Jan..was better but a little down again...Dr is testing hormone balances too. I am sick of this.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
Also, those of you who adjusted your dosages during pregnancy, did you need more or less Synthroid pregnant?
My pregnancy dose has increased from 100 to 112 to 150. I'm currently at 30 weeks and my last tsh at 27ish weeks was 0.57.

To the person that asked about tonsillectomy- mine were removed in early childhood. I have often wondered how that has affected my immune system.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Here is a good link to try!
http://www.ithyroid.com/
I am a little hyper with antibodies. Im not taking medication and just treating it with food and supps.
~Angela~
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM

My WAPF leader just recommended Stephen Langer's book on using dessicated thyroid supplements. Has anyone read this?

Solved: The Riddle of Illness
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...592631-6806458
Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 AM

I started suffering the effects of hyperthyroidism about 8 months or so after giving birth to my daughter. In hindsight, man, I should've known that excessive pooping, eating 80 meals a day, losing weight, high pulse rate, inability to sleep, wasn't normal! I've never had my tonsils removed, but my thyroid was also related to loss of pigment in parts of my skin (vitiligo) which is only currently being restored (gee, I'm sunning myself and probably getting skin cancer to help restore pigment in some of my vitiligo-ed areas). I don't have any history of it in my family....after getting diagnosed in May of 2005, I apparently had a very quick turn around and have been off meds since December of 2006. Most likely (but not positive) it has to do with the postpartum, but who knows? We'd like to get pregnant again, and I think I know what to recognize if my thyroid flares up again, but dang, its a scary scary thing!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi All. I am hypo, and after some recent tests, my ND is supsecting autimmunue--Hashimoto? I have read quite a bit on thyroid but it would be helpful to hear from a "lay person" the difference between hypo and hypo with Hashi.

Thank you!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
So do those of you who are hypo have a problem with weight gain?
So far I haven't had issues with weight gain.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas
...it would be helpful to hear from a "lay person" the difference between hypo and hypo with Hashi.
Hypo is just an underactive thryoid. Hypo with Hashi is where your body is actually attacking the thyroid and you'll have thyroid antibodies in your blood.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM

subbing, just too damned depressed to write out the whole story right now.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 AM

OMG, I killed the thread!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:38 AM

subbing
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM

I am hypothyroid, and I've been on Armour thyroid medication for 10 years now. Armour is a natural form of thyroid extract taken from a pig's thyroid. If anyone is concerned about using synthetic thyroid medications, I would ask your doctor about Armour. Before being diagnosed with it I felt like I had fibromyalgia. Every joint in my body ached, I was very tired all the time, and just felt run down. Now that I'm taking Armour, I feel so much better!!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM

Has anyone here tried bio-identical thyroid hormone? I'm on Armour now but would like to switch and don't want to take a synthetic hormone. If you've taken a compounded formula, I'd love to hear about your experience!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM

User Tag List