Do you want your baby to come early? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping as early as possible and still be able to come home w/ me and be healthy etc. I can barely walk sometimes b/c of my SPD and spend a few times a day crying about it b/c I just can't function sometimes and I have 3 other kids to take care of! If baby is not here by 39 wks, we are inducing. Not ideal, but we chose the same w/ Ilana b/c of the SPD and she was born in 3.5hrs and things went well. Evan was my ptl baby that held out till 38 wks, so I' not a 40wk mama more than likely (even Ilana would've been here on her own had I given her another few days). I dilate early and wouldn't mind birthing a few wks early either. It goes against everything I believe deep down, but not being able to function and take care of your family isn't healthy either.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 AM

I never thought I'd say this, but yes, I want baby to come early--like 37 weeks. I don't want to do 42 weeks again, but I'm not just uncomfortable, I'm in pain. I can't breathe, I'm depressed, I'm unable to carry my poor toddler and I can't walk. I wish I felt like I did with Lilly--that it was okay to wait, but I have this overwhelming urge for the baby to finish cooking quickly.

All that said, if I go 42 weeks, that's what I do. I'll be unhappy, doubly so because I don't WANT to be anything but happy and I was enjoying being pregnant so much just two months ago, but my baby will be born when he/she is ready, not when I am.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#33 of 53 Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 AM

well, I believe that babies, like all genetic variations, follow the bell curve--so there is a healthy range of normal. Like pp's said, some people have 37-38 weekers that are totally "cooked". So I don't think a baby born then is automatically going to have probs. So for those of you who have short pregnancies and healthy babies, go for it! Same for those with high-risk and painful complications that will be a relief to have a baby as soon as possible while still being safe for baby--I know you will be looking forward to it being over!

BUT, I seem to be on the other end of the curve. My 42 week 5 day son was perfectly healthy. So. . .I'm not expecting an early baby this time. "Early" for me would be 41 weeks, I would be over the moon about that!

I don't like being pregnant by this time, (PSD, varicose veins, swelling) but I don't like the increased risks inductions bring so that's not an option for me (unless it becomes medically necessary for some reason)

That being said, DH is leaving the country for half the month on Jan. 16, so I really hope to deliver before then for sure (my EDD is end of dec so I'm hoping we'll be safe) and like pp's said, I hope to deliver before 42 weeks, just because that is when everyone LOSES THEIR MINDS and starts calling, coming over, demanding to know what is wrong with you and/or the baby, why you are so irresponsible that you won't just go get your c-sec., etc. etc.

The being 19 days past EDD was way harder mentally than physically, just in my personal experience.
#34 of 53 Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 PM

I'll be having my 2nd c-section, no VBAC for me. I've kinda convinced myself that I'm happy about the 2 weeks early deal. Funny thing is, my DC tend to come 2 weeks early anyway.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#35 of 53 Old 11-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Having had a preemie, I can't imagine wanting a baby to come before they are ready. But then again, I've never experienced the "OMG I am soo pregnant" feeling. That's my goal this pregnancy....to get to that uncomfortable-ready-to-have-this-baby feeling!!! (Oh and no NICU stay and a VBAC. I've got high hopes!)
#36 of 53 Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 AM

If Christmas wasn't at my 39 week mark I might say that I'd like 39-40 weeks...but as it stands I'm hoping for 40-41 weeks. That was when DS arrived, so it also seems most natural in my mind. I will be shocked if we have an early exit...I actually have to remind myself that it *is* possible since I'm so convinced that he'll be like DS.

It's strange to me how many women say "I have a feeling he/she will come early"...especially on their first baby!! Many people seem to think it'll happen early. I won't even tell people a due date and it irritates them. I just say "first week of January" and they usually nod and ask "what day?"... Weird. I think "due week" is much better!!
#37 of 53 Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainh View Post
If Christmas wasn't at my 39 week mark I might say that I'd like 39-40 weeks...but as it stands I'm hoping for 40-41 weeks. That was when DS arrived, so it also seems most natural in my mind. I will be shocked if we have an early exit...I actually have to remind myself that it *is* possible since I'm so convinced that he'll be like DS.

It's strange to me how many women say "I have a feeling he/she will come early"...especially on their first baby!! Many people seem to think it'll happen early. I won't even tell people a due date and it irritates them. I just say "first week of January" and they usually nod and ask "what day?"... Weird. I think "due week" is much better!!
I tell people, "any time between Christmas and Groundhog's day" when they ask my due date (unless they have a need to know the exact EDD, which most people do not!).

Also, Christmas birthdays are not always awful. I guess many people hate them, but my husband loves his. I think the key is not letting the birthday be swallowed by the holiday, and making sure to have some time and ritual that is special to that child.
#38 of 53 Old 11-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelg View Post
Oh, and I'll come right out and say it: A baby before the new year would also be great... for our taxes!

Our babe is due on Jan 7, so I wouldn't mind baby coming out at 38.85 weeks, just in time to be our precious little deduction. LOL.

~Mylah~ constantly amazed mom to one beautiful boy, Bodhi, born Jan 2009.
#39 of 53 Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 PM

Can I change my answer?...

Please, please, please come early baby! Not before your ready, but how about 37-38 weeks?

I am sooo uncomfortable! In terrible pain at and after work! My work is very physical and I my job is to get others out of pain--I'm not a great example right now!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#40 of 53 Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM

As much as I want to meet this baby... No, I don't want to go early. For one, dp won't be back on R&R till 2 days after my EDD. For two, I believe in letting babies "bake" for as long as they need to. That said, I may take some castor oil and try to induce myself if the ob gets too antsy and wants to pump some cytotec into me like last time...

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#41 of 53 Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainh View Post
It's strange to me how many women say "I have a feeling he/she will come early"...especially on their first baby!!
I think this is funny too, I'm a FTM and I think this ones going to be late! I don't know why, and I guess we'll find out, but I think this one will wait till the 2nd week of January. Who knows, its really anyone's guess. I'm hoping baby comes on time though, the sooner it's here the older it will be when I have to start school again - so as long as its not a preemie (NO NICU PLEASE!!!!) - so the sooner it comes the better. But not until after finals are over and I've had time to rest! High hopes I know...
#42 of 53 Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 AM

I'm having twins and my calendar due date is January 9 but the 37 week due date (full term for twins) is December 20. I definitely do NOT want them to come earlier. First of all, anything prior to 37 weeks is "early" with twins even though they're both weighing over 5 pounds with 3.5 weeks to go, so I'm not worried there. But DH got a great job and is working through the 20th so I really need them to come after the 20th. They're not allowed. As if any child has ever listening to the needs of their parents.
#43 of 53 Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 AM

I would love sometime in January. My edd is the 27th, but we have some concerns with pre-e and other stuff. I am open to an early arrival, if that is what is safest given everything going on, I just hope that it isn't earlier than 37wks!

Christy
#44 of 53 Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 PM

As uncomfortable and crabby as I am, I'm hoping to go to about 41 weeks. I'm due 01/05 and I want this kiddo's b-day to be as far away from Christmas as possible. Having a November birthday myself, I know how much it sucks to have a birthday close to Christmas. Everyone is busy and distracted so they forget and, as a kid, I hated getting the dreaded birthday/Christmas combo present.

When I was pg with DD, for some reason I had convinced myself that I would deliver 12 days past my due date. I was so convinced that I'd go late, I didn't believe I was in labor 2 days after my due date until I was having regular contractions for several hours.
#45 of 53 Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 PM

no no no! This baby had better stay in there! I have so much to get done before my due date, including moving this weekend, and then the aftermath of that--settling in. It is getting more and more frustrating to me to hear people's unsolicited opinions about how my baby is coming early because it seems low. It's been low from the beginning and I really wish people would shut up--they don't know what they're talking about! I want this baby to be as healthy as it can be before coming out, which to me means as much time as it needs. Sure, I may be singing a different tune in a few weeks--I'm due 12/29 and like a PP said, I don't tell people my due date either--but for now I think dealing with a bit more discomfort is worth it if it means my baby will be at its healthiest when it comes.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#46 of 53 Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm techincally due Dec. 30 with a working due date of Jan. 2 becuase the MW office was full for Dec. and they could only take me with a Jan due date.

Anyway... I hope baby comes in January becuase of our school cut off dates. A January baby would mean a whole extra year at home with me. A December baby would mean that Sprout would be scheduled to start Junior Kindergarten at age 3.
#47 of 53 Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM

DH and I joke about wanting the baby to come before January 1st for the tax money. lol But honestly I'm good either way. DS was a 35w 5d baby, so anything past that I'm happy with.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#48 of 53 Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm so sick of being nauseated and throwing up, not being able to eat, having terrible heartburn and getting beat up by my baby, that YES, I want him/her to come early. Due date is 1/4, but I wouldn't mind any time after 37 weeks.

Yes, I want baby to be healthy and I want what's best for him/her, and what I want isn't going to change what's going to happen anyway, but this pregnancy has been hellish and I want to feel like a normal person again. I'm seriously about to lose my sanity.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#49 of 53 Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM

A week early would give me an inauguration baby. My midwives are cheering for it too!
#50 of 53 Old 11-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Buckeye View Post
A week early would give me an inauguration baby. My midwives are cheering for it too!
That's what DH's hoping for if I don't have the baby before the first, since my due date is 1/19 lol

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#51 of 53 Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM

I had already answered, and truthfully my answer is the same-- as long as he comes out healthy I'll be happy. But can he please be healthy and ready a little early? My belly is already so sore and uncomfortable and I'll only be 34 weeks tomorrow-- another 6 weeks until my due date!! Goodness, can you even move at 40 weeks?!

Probably not helping that I have a cold and every cough and sneeze pulls my belly.

A December baby would mean a tax deduction which would be nice come tax time but unfortunately for us it would also mean larger health insurance withdrawals from the paycheck at the end of December and dh's raise doesn't come until the paycheck at the end of January. The tax deduction is obviously a lot more money but our December 31st paycheck is already going to be tight because my health insurance rates go up for the new year, adding another dependent in that check will make it a very tight month for us.

Kate, 38, happily married to Ryan, 38, since 1991. 16+ years of infertility ended with "Surprise" Xander, born via c-section due to footling breech 01/09. Miscarriage at 6 weeks 12/09.
#52 of 53 Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 AM

I answered before and I still agree--I'd like baby to come as soon as it's safe. I just don't feel like this baby needs much longer to cook. With DD, I had no sense of urgency like I have with this one. I had a sense of 'baby's coming' that started at 38 weeks--this one started at 32 weeks, so I'm using that as my sense of when baby should come. But I'm hoping baby waits until 37 weeks. I'd like a little baby this time, but not TOO little. I miss how much I loved being pregnant just a little over a month ago. And we could use the tax break, definitely.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#53 of 53 Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Everyone at work has now started crossing their fingers I go on the 30th or 31st for the tax break.

I had my shower this weekend and my cousin actually had the nerve to tell me I should talk to my care provider about scheduling an induction to get the tax break. My other cousin was standing with me and we both just looked at her appalled and said that is incredibly selfish. I really felt for my other cousin becuase her baby boy came early and had to spend time in the NICU so for her to hear of people purposely having babies early for no other reason than to get the tax break really hurts her.

I told Kallie she has my full blessing anytime after 37 weeks. Which is next weekend! :

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page