Do you want your baby to come early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On another board I'm on it seems like everyone is either getting induced, scheduling an early c-section or just wishing and praying that they're babies are born as early as possible and I just don't get it. So I was hoping to get another perspective here.

I can't be the only one who wants my baby to stay in as long as is healthy, can I? Especially with the new March of Dimes article out about almost term preemies. Now, I don't love being pregnant anymore then anyone else. But I want a good size, healthy baby that can breathe on his or her own. And they're so much easier to take care of on the inside!

If I had a scheduled a repeat c-section with my daughter then she would've been born at least 2 weeks early and probably only 5 lbs or so. Instead I had a VBAC on her due date.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Nope, as crabby as I am being pregnant at this point, I don't want this baby to come early.

I am feeling pressure by mainstream friends and family. People want to take out that 'unpredictable' element to birthing babies. I know it's not exactly convenient but I'm not willing to risk all sorts of thing just so this baby would fit into someone's schedule.

There are some natural things that spur labor on, like castor oil and several herbs whose names escape me at the moment. Those things aren't guaranteed to start labor though...
Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM

I am quiet miserable and dreading the next 10 weeks.

But I would NEVER want baby to come before she is ready.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM

I have had a baby in the NICU with breathing problems and I know there is no worse H*LL on earth!! There is no way I would induce or section early!

however, I wouldn't mind going into labor naturally before 40 weeks (39 would be good).

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM

I don't want her to come before she's ready BUT if she's ready early...heck ya I'd take her early
Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM

I would never wish for a pre-term birth. Smack-dab at 37 weeks, though... that's a different story.

That said, I am planning a natural homebirth so I won't be doing anything aside from walking, sex, etc. to stimulate labor. I have no intention of inducing with drugs. I would consider cohoshes, etc. under the advice of my MW, but can't think of any reason to go there until at least my due date.

Basically I definitely want my baby to be done cooking before s/he arrives - but that doesn't mean I don't hope "done cooking" = 37 weeks!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Umm, no. We're having guests until I'm 39 weeks, and there's no way I want to birth at home with 5 extra people in the house! I've told this baby s/he has to wait until January, but as soon as it reaches the 1st, s/he's free to make an entrance whenever s/he wants!

BUT, I've been measuring smallish (2 cm behind) and I just have a feeling that this baby is going to take longer than 40 weeks to bake. I'm pretty sure I'll be here mid-January complaining that I'm going to be pregnant forever!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 PM

Nope. I'm exhausted and having problems keeping up with my really fast DS right now, but I hope this baby stays as long as possible. Besides, the exhaustion won't disappear once the baby is born.

Now being done work early is a completely different story

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM

ALL of my babies were late and induced (between 41-42 weeks). So I have never had a pre-term baby. I'll bet if I'd had one though I would not be wishing to have mine early. I don't want mine "early" per say, but yes, once I hit 37 weeks I will be wishing and hoping for him to come any day.

I'm a terrible pregnant person. It takes a huge toll on my body and I suffer lots of health issues...top that off with always being late and it can be just plain miserable for me. Maybe it is a bit selfish, although 37 weeks is considered safe and term....but I'll be hoping for an "earlier" baby this time. I would never wish him to be born before he was term though, nor would I schedule an induction or c-section at an early date.

This will be our first homebirth and I am slight worried I won't go into labor on my own. I mean I'm sure I would at some point...but since I was late with all the others and the OB's always induced me I'm kind of convinced my body can't do it on it's own.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM

I hope this baby waits until after Christmas...anytime after that would be fine with me. I'm due the 8th. Most of my others have arrived near their due dates, so I expect the same with this one.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
Umm, no. We're having guests until I'm 39 weeks, and there's no way I want to birth at home with 5 extra people in the house! I've told this baby s/he has to wait until January, but as soon as it reaches the 1st, s/he's free to make an entrance whenever s/he wants!
I'd recommend you practice saying: "Ok, everybody out. Nice having you! But now I'm going to have my baby and don't need more witnesses."

(ok, i'm just teasing, you know that right?)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 PM

I'm due Dec 24, so I'm hoping to go late. Ideally Jan 1 (and not just to I'm officially in the right DDC!)

I really really don't want a baby on Dec 23. It would suck to be away, but even worse to hurry home.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 PM

I am *so* hoping to go early. My first was a 37-weeker (full term at 37 weeks!) so that's not a completely stupid hope.

But, kid will show up when kid shows up. I'm certainly not hoping for the baby to show up before they're ready.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 PM

I certainly don't want the baby to come before she's ready, BUT I wish she'd be ready early! I've only had "late" babies, so I'm trying not to even let my mind go there!....
It sure would be nice to have his baby between Christmas and New Years!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM

Well, I have an expiration date of 40 weeks and 3 days. If no baby by then I will have a repeat c/s. I have no wish to get that far. It would make me feel better to know that baby was here and safe long before we ever get to that point. I had healthy 38 week twins, and a healthy 41 weeker. So, yeah, I am hoping this little girl is ready before 40 weeks.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 AM

Nope. I'm looking forward to my full term baby. I've loved pregnancy and can tell I'm gonna miss it when it's gone. I'm ready to embrace when my cub comes, but I don't wanna rush through any of the process to get there.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 AM

Not early - but please please before 42 weeks. I don't want to hit that mark again. Even with wonderful mws the SHTF at 42.... especially with a VBAC.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 AM

I remember feeling quite done with enjoying pregnancy at about 38 weeks with dd. She was born at 39 weeks. That was just right. Not hoping to go early, though, but certainly hoping more in the 38-39 weeks than 41-42.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 AM

I'm a FTM, and a student. I'm due right between semesters, so a little early would be ok - but only if I go into labor on my own after I hit 37 weeks. Unless there was something really wrong I would not be induced! I want this baby as healthy as possible when it decides to show up!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 AM

Oh, and I'll come right out and say it: A baby before the new year would also be great... for our taxes!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:43 AM

Not me. This was a surprise pregnancy and I am so not ready for it yet. I am slowly getting there. It has been 10 years since I had a baby and I am a little nervous about starting all over again.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 AM

Baby is so much easier on the inside! No way do I want to do some intervention to make her come early!

I was induced with DD at 40 weeks, 3 days for no good reason. No way will I allow that again!

My EDD has been Dec. 28, Jan. 2 and Jan. 4. Whatever. Late Dec./Early Jan. I'm hoping for after the holidays.

I love being PG, though! This one has gone by so quickly! How is it possible I only have (give or take) 7 weeks left? I admit, I'm still mostly petrified about having a newborn with my high needs/spirited/LOUD toddler!

DH is going out of town for a weekend (unavoidable) mid January. So I really do want her to come by/around her due date and not 2 weeks late. If I go a week over, we'll start talking natural induction techniques.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:07 AM

For me "early" would be "before 42w1d" so yes, early would be nice. Provided that "early" begins after 37 weeks.

Anyway I'd just be thrilled to go into labor on my own, period. Around 39-40 weeks would be icing.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Probably don't know what I am saying, but I'd rather he come late at this point. I have so much to do and I haven't and probably won't have time to focus on getting ready. I wish I could just zap everything away and focus on the little guy coming. I am dying to wash diapers and clothes and set everything up.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 11-19-2008, 01:43 PM

Not early... but praying praying and more praying that she doesn't decide to hang out too far past the due date. I know the due date isn't an expiration date or anything... but I'm ready. lol Anytime after 37 weeks and before 42 weeks will make me happy happy.

I do not want to induce at all, so am praying mostly that she comes within a reasonable time so I don't get the induction talk.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 PM

I'm hoping to make it to my due date (Jan 3) or go a little later. A January birthday just sounds fun to me! But I'm sure we'll be happy whenever s/he arrives.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM

As long as he comes out healthy I'll be happy. I do hope he waits until at least 38 weeks since Christmas is week 37 and I would like for his birthday to be a little bit away from the holiday.

Kate, 38, happily married to Ryan, 38, since 1991. 16+ years of infertility ended with "Surprise" Xander, born via c-section due to footling breech 01/09. Miscarriage at 6 weeks 12/09.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM

NO! I am really uncomfortable but I dont want her to come early. DS was 5 weeks PM and it was not good. Besides, I want her to come AFTER the holiday crazies.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:34 PM

I hope she comes after the first of the year....anytime after January 2nd (EDD Jan 11th), mostly because I have to work on the 2nd in order to have my health benefits covered by the company. Other than that, I'm fine with whenever but do not want to have to induce....so after the 2nd and before 42 weeks would be WONDERFUL.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 11-19-2008, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't want mine to be here before she's ready.. but I'll take 2 weeks before like my dd. Especially since I'm trying for a VBAC and the stupid backup doctor to my midwives doesn't allow a VBAC candidate to go past 41 weeks. : I just asked my midwife last appt. to lie and push back my due date a couple days.

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)

User Tag List