36 week home visit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was today. This means I can officially have my baby at home at any time. It went so well. I made tostadas for lunch with the midwife. Only the main midwife ended up coming. The assistant and apprentice weren't able to make it. I have gained 3 lbs in the 3 weeks, since my last appt. Which puts my total up to 18lbs. I wasn't spilling protein and by blood pressure was normal (with DS#1 I was put in the hospital on bed rest at this appt.) My GBS test was done and is hopefully negative. She let me skip the vaginal exam because I could tell her what I was. I had checked myself the other day and I am only 20% effaced, 1 1/2 cm and can't even feel station because the baby is too high. Looks like the baby is waiting until January to come. I now start going every week.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#2 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM

I can't believe its that time already! I will have my home visit next week! I'm not sure if I'm going to get checked or not. Part of me is curious, since this baby is much lower that DD was, and I've had a lot of BH, I'm mostly curious to see if I will change at all before labor, which I really didn't until I went into labor with DD. But...... then again, I hate VEs. So, we'll see. I don't feel like I will go early thought, I'm thinking mid jan.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#3 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM

I have my home visit a week from tomorrow. : She's brining the birth kit and the accessory kit for my birth pool. I'm not planning on being checked unless the MW really wants to. From what I understand, it's rather abritrary. The baby is pretty low though. At my last appointment the MW asked if I felt like it was going to come right out (sometime I do!). When I that sometimes I thought I could feel the head bouncing off my hip bone, she said "Um, acutally I think that's the shoulder. The head is already further down that that." : I really need this baby to stay put until January.
#4 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't want a VE either. I figured if I did it myself beforehand she wouldn't care to. She even let me do the GBS test myself when I went to pee in the cup. There are some advantages to the fact that my midwife is also the one that trained me.

#5 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 PM

My home visit is this Thursday! We have the birth kit and pool ready, although we haven't done a test run of the pool yet. I have a bin of towels and sheets set aside, and we have the mattress covers ready to put on. There's still a bunch of stuff we need to get/do, but being a FTM, I'm pretty sure I have at least another month (here's hoping!).

I'm not sure if my MW is planning a VE or a GBS swab, but I'll likely refuse both if she is. Last time I checked myself, I could feel the head low but my cervix was hiding, so I think it's going to be awhile.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#6 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm so happy for you all. How exciting to be planning a homebirth! I am 33 weeks and I wish I had been proactive and planned for one. I'm jealous. With my first I was 21 and I wanted a homebirth and of course dh and my mom said NOOO NOOO NOOO! And I gave in and then with each kid it's just been like it was too late. I love reading homebirth stories. They're always beautiful! Can't wait to here when your little ones get here!
#7 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 12:23 AM

I had mine already, even though I'm not 36 weeks yet (my first was a 37 weeker, and so the mw wanted to do the visit a bit early just in case).

My mw doesn't even want to do a VE- I told her early on that I was against them (I blame them for certain problems I had with my first birth) and she responded that she didn't believe in them unless the mom asked. She feels they don't tell you much, and they cause more problems than they're good for. She doesn't do the GBS swab, either. Whee- advantages of being in a quasi-legal state.

I have most of my hb supplies together (the home visit was a good motivation/deadline for that, though they didn't ask me about it when they came) but not all of them. I need to get on that.
#8 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM

So exciting! My home visit should be right at Christmas. Though I have to have a hospital birth, my MWs visit to get familiar with the directions, the home and family members. I my MWs group so much!
#9 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM

I have home visit this Friday. I'm spending all week doing laundry (we've been washer-less for the last month, so I'm a bit behind) and gettting the rest of my birth kit items together.

The GBS is optional for me, but the reason I'm doing it is that if I were to transfer to the hospital for some reason, they would automatically assume that I'm positive and administer antibiotics. So I'd rather know for sure should that situation arise. I don't think she'll want to do a VE, but I have to admit that I'm curious as to what's going on down there!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#10 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM

I'm sorry, but what is a home visit?

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#11 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM

My mw do one visit at your home around 36/37 weeks (slightly earlier, in my case). This is so that a) they've been there and are less likely to get lost on the big day (this is good because BOTH the mw got lost getting to my house for the home visit), b) they know what your house is like and have an idea where the pool will be, what's available, etc. c) they know you have your supplies and materials gathered and at your house. In my case, a birth kit was part of the expense, and they brought it at the home visit to put with the rest of my more mundane birth supplies.
#12 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
I'm sorry, but what is a home visit?
It's basically a prenatal appointment that's happening at my house instead of at the MW's. She'll check to make sure the house is suitable for homebirth and make sure she knows where we live! She'll also help us identify what to set up and where (birth pool, supplies, etc).
#13 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM

My midwife has been coming to my hone for prenatals for the last 4 weeks and will continue to do so until babe is born. It's been awesome.

My official "home visit" is in 2 weeks and she'll bring the other midwife and assistant at that point.

Guess I should get in gear and order my birth kit.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#14 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Ohhh ok. My midwife has come to my house for all the appointments, which I just assumed was the norm. That's why "home visit" to me sounded like what I do every time and didn't get the excitement over it.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#15 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM

My midwife doesn't do all visits at home because they are based out of a busy birth center, so I have most of my appts, and will have PP appts there. The MWs that are only home birth midwives that I know do all home visits.

I'm back in forth on the VE, its really is for curiosities sake only, since I know it has nothing to do with how soon I will go into labor, I'm just fascinated with how different this pregnancy has been vs my 1st. I'm sure I'll end up not doing it.... blah

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#16 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Oh, I learned something new. My midwife hasn't talked about a home visit at all. I have a check-up at her office next week when I'm 36 weeks.

Actually she hasn't talked much about anything and never has done or talked about doing an internal exam. She never offered a glucose test (fine with me.) And she hasn't said anything about a GBS test either. I don't think I want one, but wouldn't oppose it either.

I really like her, but I sure don;t know what the plan is, and never think of the questions I'm wanting to ask her while I'm there. I've just been reall easy going, as has she. I quess I just trust her. But maybe I'll bring a list of questions with me next time.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#17 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

My MW has an office behind her house and most of the appts are held there. I don't have an office, so I do all my client's prenatals at their houses.

#18 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM

My MW's office is in her home. It's about a 45 minute drive from my house. I see her in the evenings so that's after my 45 minute commute home. It makes for a very long evening. It wasn't bad when it was monthly but these weekly visits are starting to take a toll! I pick up DD from daycare, swing by the house to pick up DH, then we drive through somewhere for dinner (not healthy but our only option with all the driving) and eat in the car on the way there. That's almost 2 hours in the car for me! Having her come to me will seem just heavenly! Of course, it's all totally worth it.

My MW is pretty laid back too. We do most of the recommended screenings though. I'm a nurse so the importance of all the tests have been drilled into me and I just don't feel right about not doing them. I found out my GBS screen came back negative. : I always feel like I should have more questions than I do. We pretty much see eye to eye on most things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page