Laundry detergent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first, and I've been fortunate to receive tons of hand-me-downs and new clothes, not to mention new and slightly used CD's. It's all been piling up next to the dressers we built for the baby, waiting to be sorted, washed, and put away.

I think it's laundry time. Do I use special sensitive skin detergent/fabric softener for little one's skin? I have a front loading HE washer. I currently use Method detergent and Seventh Generation fabric softener.

Seems like such a silly question...

I did order some Charlie's from Amazon for all the diapering laundry, but it hasn't come yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

I make and use my own using this recipie. Works great on all our laundry including diapers. It is low to no suds so works in HE machines.
#3 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM

I'm no expert, since I'm waiting for my first too...
I just washed all our baby clothes and blankets in Seventh Generation Free & Clear, with no fabric softener or dryer sheets. I imagine most Seventh Gen products are mild enough for baby, but you may want to go unscented. Not sure about Method.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#4 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I use Charlie's Soap and vinegar as softener in my front loader HE. I've also used Tide Free and Clear HE too with no problems...my son and I both tend to the sensitive side so I'm expecting the same with #2. And as long as the detergent is rinsed thoroughly we don't have a problem....even with Charlie's which I found some really bad online reviews (rashes, etc). The biggest thing I've found is I use WAY less detergent in my machine than recommended....I look for small suds during the wash cycle and NO suds during the rinse...and if I still see suds, I rinse some more (and use less detergent next time). It has taken me a couple of months to get the amount down for each size load.
#5 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM

We really like Ecover and used it for DS when he was born but it's pretty $$. . .it was kind of a first baby thing.

I like Allen's laundry powder or the BioKleen powder for cloth diapers and poopie onesie blowouts.

I'm allergic to Tide Free, personally.

Stay away from the Wintree they sell at Costco it smells like a&& and when mixed with cloth diapers it creates an unholy smell

The other Costco "natural" detergent they sell is okay compromise for us--smells ok, not too terrible for the environment, works well and doesn't cost an arm and leg.
#6 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM

I use our regular detergent (Free & Clear, the same one I use for diapers too). With DS, I realized that his skin was up around my clothes and sheets without a reaction so I gave up on the special baby detergent.

I would skip the fabric softener though, that might have too much perfume in it.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#7 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozMama View Post
I make and use my own using this recipie. Works great on all our laundry including diapers. It is low to no suds so works in HE machines.
Thanks so much for that link - I am so trying this after reading the cost info, which is exactly what I was wondering about before deciding to spend the time making my own - 1cent/wash is as close to free as you can get THANK YOU, WOW - is all I can say!

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#8 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM

I just use our regular detergent. I only use about 1 or 2 tablespoons per load for our front loader, so the detergent residue is almost nil (our clothes never smell like the detergent).

I think you're fine using whatever you regularly use -- if you want to be extra cautious, do an extra rinse with vinegar. But I've never had an issue with any of my LOs and we all have very sensitive skin.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 PM

I use a brand that is safe for babies and CD's. www.simplycleanok.com

Be sure you get the hypoallergenic kind though. Her regular detergent has color and scent to it, so you wouldn't want that. I get the hypoallergenic which has no colors or scents and then I add an Essential Oil Blend off her list. Of course you could even leave out the EO, but I love a good clean smell without the chemicals. She is super great and is a WAHM which I love supporting. Oh, and the detergent works great!! Better than when I made my own, and used Seventh Generation.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#10 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We use Soap Nuts. http://www.maggiespureland.com/index.html
No need for fabric softener or dryer sheets, totally safe, hypoallergenic and biodegradable. It's a really good value for the money too.
#11 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM

I used a sensitive detergent (Purex) but eventually I realized that she was still touching our clothes constantly, after all, so was still in contact with our detergent and the other stuff just didn't work as well, so we quit using the gentle stuff, except on diapers (where it does matter).

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#12 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM

I use Sun (yes, the really really cheap stuff) and even scented it's not a problem. I use it because it's derived from plant material and it's cheap and widely available. i add oxy clean and borax or washing soda as needed.

I hated Charlies, we all broke out from it.
#13 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM

I wash everything in Charlie's Soap. It works great! Once I knew I liked it, I bought the 5 gallon bucket. It does 1,280 loads for $0.11 per load!

I don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. If you want to use a fabric softener, try putting some distilled white vinegar in the downy ball or the fabric softener compartment of your washer if you have one. Vinegar actually works pretty well but I think it can be a little harsh on elastic. DH has a super sonic sense of smell when it comes to vingear so I just go without.

I can't say enough good things about Charlie's Soap. My DH is an auto mechanic and his favorite hobby is riding dirt bikes. I wash all his work and play clothes with Charlies at they always comes out clean.

If I have some stains that need pre-treating, I typically use Bac-Out. It's great for food stains like blue berries, pomagranate, and poop!
#14 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 AM

It's funny - I hated Charlie's Soap. Maybe it's because we have well water and a water softener, but (and this may be TMI), my panties were never very clean, and even failed the sniff test after washing!!!!!! I'm going to try the homemade one, I think, and the 7th Gen free and clear - if you get it from Frontier or Vitacost.com it's more reasonanble.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page