Can we not have this conversation AGAIN? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time I run into someone I know that I haven't seen in more than about 5 days, they HAVE to comment about how huge I am.

Now, to be fair, I AM huge. I am a petite woman, and there's nowhere for a baby to go on me but straight, straight out. But, for god's sake, do they think I haven't NOTICED how big I am, that they need to point it out? The baby takes up so much room at this point that I can barely breathe, barely eat, barely move around. People commenting now and again, I wouldn't mind. But it's NOT now and again! It's the #1 topic of conversation I run into! I mean, I have a weekly gathering at my house (so all people who saw me 7 days ago), and 3 of the 6 guests this week felt the need to greet me with "Wow! You look ready to POP!".

Then someone commented on how I'm "sensitive" about it. : I'm not "sensitive", I'm tired of having to respond to that comment over and over and over and over again. For MONTHS, since it started when I was about 5-6 months along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 PM

BTDT! I have been called house, tank, etc. I remember being 28 wks pg w/ AJ when people started assuming I was due any day. To be fair, I was HUGE w/ him, I was working full time, had a lot of water retention in my legs, and enough amniotic fluid for a small country. lol I haven't been that big w/ any of the other babies, but people still feel the need to comment. When you're 5'3" I'm not sure where people think you're going to put a 7.5# baby?

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry to hijack, but I have the opposite problem. Everyone has to tell me how SMALL I am, and how I don't look like I'm ready to have a baby, and are the doctors concerned that my baby isn't big enough, and etc. My first baby was 6lbs, 6 oz at term, and completely healthy. However, the MD's thought I had IUGR with her. This baby probably won't be much bigger, but I'm measuring exactly on target.

It just makes me feel badly when I keep hearing it, and, over time, makes me fearful about my "tiny" baby! I've even cried over it a few times, because it starts to eat at me enough to make me feel really bad! I've had terrible nausea and vomiting throughout the entire 9 months with both pregnancies, I lose weight in the first trimester, etc. Maybe they're trying to be nice, but no mom wants to feel like her baby is going to come out as an unhealthy, scrawny little chicken baby.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM

gah! It never stops.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#5 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM

People are doing this to me too...which I find insane since ive gained all of 20lbs..and w ds I gained 55! The thing that annoys me the most is ive gained 1 pound in 6 weeks and grown 2 cm! and people keep saying ive gotten bigger...seriously..where? where have i gotten bigger?..my fil actually said on sun that i look like im having twins...yeah i think i would know by now!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 6 Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 PM

for all you ladies. People are so rude to pregnant women. I don't really understand why but for some reason it's acceptable socially. :

I've had the 'oh my, you waddle quite a bit' over and over from strangers. Look, I hurt and this is the only way I can make it places. Quit not being nice.

For those 'oh you're huge comments' how about saying something like:
"So, DON'T piss off the large pregnant woman!"

And for mzminty:
"That just means my baby's already practicing ninja hiding skillz!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page