Help! Need some advice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh! End of my rope right now. I called out of work yesterday because I was so ridiculously tired I couldn't take it... I slept nearly the whole day, so my body obviously needed it.

I've been having contractions like crazy still... nothing that turns regular though.

I've been up since 3 am with them coming every 15 minutes or so... I doubt it's the real thing yet because this is what has been happening.

But I cannot picture sitting at work with these... they have become way more intense and pinchy and just plain hurt and they are draining me... hence the all day sleeping yesterday.

I'm afraid if I keep pushing and the real labor does come I won't have enough energy to get through it.

But I don't like the idea of calling off of work two days in a row without a really good reason... And DH wants me to go into today and is upset that I'm not. But he simply doesn't understand... I'm really worried about running myself to thin... I can't even describe how painfully tired I am, like my body is screaming at me to rest.

But same token... if baby doesn't come soon... I can't start my short term yet cause then I will lose time from when baby comes. This is so incredibly ridiculous I don't know what to do.

I don't want to put me or baby in bad situation physically though... ugh! Stupid crappy benefits.

What would you do? Push through it to go to work and be in pain? Or stay home, listen to your body and rest?

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM

Are you at risk of losing your job if you don't go in? If not, then personally I'd take the day off again. You might just need a lot of rest, fluids, etc. Take care of yourself. With the weekend coming up (do you work weekends?) you can get a solid stretch of rest hopefully and if labor doesn't start, you can go back on Monday after a good amount of rest.

With my first, I had prodromal contractions for 5 days before being induced (I was approaching 42 weeks, though). I remember those contractions - uncomfortable, irritating, tiring. I was also overexerting myself at the time - it was Christmas and I was pushing myself for stupid reasons.

Take care of yourself and tell your DH you'll ask for his input when he has experienced a full term pregnancy (okay, just kidding there...but you know what I mean).

#3 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Listen to your body! You'll end up with a difficult birth if you don't. There's nothing to feel guilty about. You have to take care of yourself and your baby.

Edit:
As I re-read my post--it doesn't come off sounding supportive--which is how I meant it!

My personality is to push throught things often to my detriment. If my DH would tell me things like I was telling you above--I wouldn't be so apt to push-push. They just don't understand! I feel miserable if I'm at work in pain, and miserable if I'm at home in less pain but feeling guilt. It's a no-win situation!

Hugs

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#4 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 12:53 PM

i have you in my thoughts, this isn't a easy decision.

are you drinking enough water? RRL tea?
#5 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM

I know how you feel. I was hoping to work till the end of the year, but, my job is so physical, Im on my feet 8-10 hours on those days, I felt like I spent all yesterday having different cramps and contractions. Then I was so tired I almost couldn't move. I don't want to go into labor at work, but sometimes, I'll pic up a dog I think isn't as heavy, or a dog will pull me just right that I feel really strained. DH probably wouldn't say anything if i stopped, I'm hoping honestly just to get through the 2 days next week and I may call it quits, we just are struggling financially, and the baby isn't here yet. its hard to know what the right thing is to do, I'm trying to listen to my body, but at the same time, trying to keep afloat financially till the last possible moment.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#6 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM

I know I would try to push through - but at the cost of my body, sanity and etc..

So - rest, relax for an extra day & now the weekend and see how things progress

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#7 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 12:02 AM

Take the day off if you can. It's so ridiculous how the whole work system goes in the US You should be able to take time off before you birth, too.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone.

I called and talked to my boss and he was so wonderful!! He told me to rest. lol He said I have every legitimate reason for not being at work right now and he understands. He said if I felt up to it I could work from home, so I have been keeping up on my responsibilities from the comfort of home in my PJ's! :

And taking naps here and there as I need to... feeling better. I really needed these days of not going into the office and I'm feeling really lucky for having such an understanding boss and the ability to work from home so I'm not losing all my pay anyway. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#9 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
And taking naps here and there as I need to... feeling better. I really needed these days of not going into the office and I'm feeling really lucky for having such an understanding boss and the ability to work from home so I'm not losing all my pay anyway. lol
That's really awesome!!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#10 of 12 Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
What would you do? Push through it to go to work and be in pain? Or stay home, listen to your body and rest?
You asked the wrong question here. I would push it too much and try to go to work. Then I would feel like crap the whole time. The question is what should you do? I'm glad that everything worked out with talking to your boss.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#11 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM

A friend of mine described something like this with her last. She went to a chiropractor, and he said it was her hips, that the baby was trying to fit through but things were really out of alignment. I guess he did an adjustment, she got instant releif, and baby was born 4 hours later!

May be a stretch, but if you have a chiropractor, it might be worth a try! Even if baby doesn't come right away, maybe it can realign your body so things aren't so uncomfortable!

As for your question, I vote to trust your body too!

Good luck!

Christy
#12 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 AM

Listen to your body.

Also, what's your company's sick time policy?

I mean, i know I have 5 days left to take by the end of the year, so I'm taking them, you know? Are you a use it or lose it company like mine? If so, that may be enough reason for him to back off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page