Reflux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had too much acid reflux or heartburn with this pregnancy. The occasional bout was easily handles by chewing some papaya enzyme tablets.

Until...the last two days and nights! I couldn't even sleep for hours last night because everytime I tried to lay down it was so horrible I was choking. Papaya enzmes weren't touching it.

I had a couple of hours during te day today too, that the reflux was so bad that it interrupted my talking. (Not for a second or two like has sometimes happened anyway--but for minutes at a time.)

Ughh! What's a natural, but stronger remedy for reflux than papaya enzymes?

FYI--I have been taking probiotics and digestive enzymes with meals too. I definately don't eat too much at once or too close to bedtime. What I eat seems to have no affect on the reflux.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 07:54 PM

I like to take 100% aloe vera juice. Honestly, I don't know if it's stronger than papaya tablets but it works for me to sooth the burn. It does burn a bit going down but after a few minutes begins to sooth. Also, I've found when the baby is going through a major growth spurt I get bad bad heart burn for a few days and then it subsides. Hopefully, you'll feel better in a few days.
#3 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Chocolate milk sometimes helps me--and bread... stuff that absorbs acid. Right now, I'm not messing with it, I'm taking Tums and trying to keep it from hitting the point where I need Pepcid. Reflux doesn't just hurt, it injures the esophagus

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#4 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Honestly I have tums that I use for the middle of the night, or I go take a few big chugs of DDs whole milk. Being a base it seems to help sooth the throat and cancel the acid a bit, but not as well as a tums.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#5 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM

Sorry, but: Tums. I like to use natural remedies whenever I can, but heartburn/reflux ain't the hill I'm dying for!
#6 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 AM

A magnesium supplement helped me alot (mag citrate is what I take).
#7 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 AM

I've been getting it pretty bad lately, too. I blame it on the relaxin, since what I eat has little to no effect. Tums for me, the only thing that works for this burn!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#8 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM

I swear by my slippery elm and burdock tincture. Gives me long term relief. I may have to take it twice a day.

I have it so bad that I waked up choking. I have to sleep in a reclined position. It sucks. Even milk wont touch it, which is what I have used with all of my other pregnancies.
#9 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 AM

I'm right there with ya. It's absolutely awful. I have little burps all day and half the time bile comes up. Even when I wake up in the morning and haven't had anything to eat!!!

I have still been munching on papaya enzymes and dried papaya but, now I added Nux Vomica to the mix. I am about to take a third does of it but, I suspect the dosage isn't strong enough, it will help a little bit but then wares off. I plan on upping the dosage tomorrow.

For a while I was taking antimonium crudum which is a really good fit for me and was working but, I ran out.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#10 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 PM

A few years ago I had really bad reflux. At that time, I would drink glasses of cold peppermint tea. It would really soothe that burning feeling and after awhile, I quit having it completely. But I believe peppermint is one of those things you have to do in moderation while pregnant.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#11 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
But I believe peppermint is one of those things you have to do in moderation while pregnant.
Really? Boy, I really crave peppermint while I'm pregnant!

#12 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 02:15 PM

I have had constant reflux for the past few months. Someone just suggested a little baking soda mixed in water. It's sort of tough to get down, but the one time I've tried it so far it worked like a charm!

I don't know how good for you it is, but sometimes I feel like my esophagus is going to suffer perminent damage if I don't do anything.
#13 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 PM

My Mw suggested that when I get this (which has only been on a few occasions lately) that it signifies that I'm deficient in cal/mag and some trace minerals so she suggests upping mineral supplements. This seems to help prevent it for me but it doesn't cure once it starts... Horrible horrible feeling...

What does seem to help me is eating small bites at a time and sipping water. I'm not sure if it' sjust preventing the acid from coming up or what.. I tried Tums and they don't help more than a spoonful of rice does so I'd rather have the rice.
#14 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I tried Tums and they don't help more than a spoonful of rice does so I'd rather have the rice.
Yeah, Tums doesn't help me anymore than the papaya enzymes do--so I stick with those.

What's weird is that the reflux was at it's worst when I was taking a Calcium supplement and Ionic Fizz Magnesium with dinner at night. I skipped it a couple of nights and it's been better. Coincidence?

Now I feel signs of leg cramps coming back (which is what prompted the Ca/Mg in the first place) so I took it again tonight. I guess we'll see!

The other weird thing/coincidence(?) is that when I switched from Floradix (iron) to a Black Strap Mollasses iron supplements--I stopped having these nagging headaches that I had had for 6 weeks+. I recently went back to Floradix because my hemoglobin levels were too low. I started getting the headaches again right away. Now, I'm thinking this is NOT coincidence and my body is just WEIRD!

#15 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Could it be that something in the supplements is making your reflux worse? I've got a bottle of Natural Calm Orange and that stuff gives me heartburn just smelling it. But, I can take a pill and no problems.

In my case a huge culprit was homemade fudge. That stuff would give me heartburn just looking at it heh.
#16 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelg View Post
Sorry, but: Tums. I like to use natural remedies whenever I can, but heartburn/reflux ain't the hill I'm dying for!
:

My reflux is so severe that for awhile I had to take prescription meds. Now I'm back down to the Pepcid paired with Tums. I'd rather go all-natural if I could, but I haven't found one thing to touch it. Paired with severe morning sickness (still), I would be upchucking all day if I didn't have something to get rid of it completely. I say, take whatever works.
#17 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 PM

that's tough! some of you ladies are troopers!
#18 of 19 Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks for this thread, I just started getting acid reflux last night and it burns!! I'm scared to death of taking tums because with DS1 I took them fairly often and ended up with a kidney stone from all of the extra calcium.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#19 of 19 Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 PM

You can also try an acid blocker like Zantac or Pepcid (ranitidine and famotidine respectively, I believe). I didn't mention it earlier, because of course it is not a natural remedy. But I like that better than Tums. I'd rather have the single dose of the drug than just eat Tums constantly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page