So I had the 34 week US...6#9 oz? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went... they said lo is 6 pounds 9 oz, give or take a pound either way. 5 pounds 9 oz sounds right to me, but 6 or 7 pounds seems big at 34 weeks. Considering ds was 7 pounds 8 oz, and dd was 8 pounds 9 oz. It was a tech in training, then when the "real" tech started double checking everything, she said something like 38 weeks based on head and belly measurements and the trainee tech says "Uh, she's only 34 weeks" and the real tech says "You have gestational diabetes?" Uh, no. But then of course when I was asking if the weight estimate was very off for 34 weeks they wouldn't say anything. Oh you need to talk to your OB. Well, of course the office is closed due to serious snow storms right now. Great, I'm not scheduled to go back til next week. Everything I read online seems to say average weight at 34 weeks is 5 pounds, which would mean baby gaining 3 pounds more in 6 weeks, for a total of 8. Or in my case total of 9 pounds 9 oz. which would be fine. I don't know. Sorry I'm rambling. Just thought i'd share.

On another note, I am eating ice cubes like crazy: weird, huh? Anybody else? I did with dd too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:36 AM

I had an u/s at 36 weeks, and they said baby was measuring at 38 weeks, and weighed approx 7lbs, 3oz. I don't know, I'm not putting too much stock into it, and I'm definitely not going to worry about it. If its a big baby then thats even better!

I'm sure its nothing to worry about, although I know its hard not to worry when you're pregnant!!
#3 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 AM

I had to have a follow-up U/S at a high-risk clinic at 32 weeks and both the tech and the OB who did the consult put DD at 5 lbs 9 oz then, which puts her over 9 lbs at 40 weeks. They asked how big DS was at birth and when I told them 8.5, they said DD's estimated size seems completely normal. I'm totally fine with it. I am, however, chewing ice like crazy. Driving DH nuts. I think it's a low iron thing.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#4 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Oz View Post
I had to have a follow-up U/S at a high-risk clinic at 32 weeks and both the tech and the OB who did the consult put DD at 5 lbs 9 oz then, which puts her over 9 lbs at 40 weeks. They asked how big DS was at birth and when I told them 8.5, they said DD's estimated size seems completely normal. I'm totally fine with it. I am, however, chewing ice like crazy. Driving DH nuts. I think it's a low iron thing.
Oh good, I knew I wasn't the only one with the ice. Oh I forgot the good thing about the US, adorable profile of his little face: and I know he isn't breech!
#5 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM

those estimates are pretty unreliable. my mw told me with my dd that she was measuring at 8lbs5oz at my 37 week appointment. i was FLIPPING out. i mean, that is potentially a 10 lb babe. she was born two days later weighing 7lbs.2oz. anyway, this same thing seemed to have happened to a lot of women i know.

i love me some ice too, though my iron is okay. i just love ice.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#6 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM

The day before my 1st DS was born they told me he was 7# 14 oz. He was 6# 14oz.

As for the ice thing, me too. Plus I've been having the craving for something gravelly. I am anemic and need to take my iron pills.

ETA: Plus I've been having a craving for snow

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#7 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
The day before my 1st DS was born they told me he was 7# 14 oz. He was 6# 14oz.

As for the ice thing, me too. Plus I've been having the craving for something gravelly. I am anemic and need to take my iron pills.

ETA: Plus I've been having a craving for snow
Oh, yeah I'm eating snow by the cup! It's awesome, I am snowed in but won't be running out of snow to eat for a long time!
#8 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowAndColtsMama View Post
Oh, yeah I'm eating snow by the cup! It's awesome, I am snowed in but won't be running out of snow to eat for a long time!
It's snowing here now I wish some snow would land on my windowsill.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#9 of 10 Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
It's snowing here now I wish some snow would land on my windowsill.
I just wish we could get snow. But it is not likely when temperatures are at 73 degrees. But yea a cold front is coming tomorrow. It is supposed to be back in the 50's.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#10 of 10 Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I just came across your post via the new posts list.
I just wanted to mention that my DD was born at 35 weeks & she weighed 6lbs 12 oz. I went on to have 3 full term babies that were all in the 9-10 1/2 pound range so it made sense that she was already so big at 35 weeks. But then again, as others have said, those darn ultrasounds can be SO off! I can't tell you how many women I've known that have gone off & had c-sections just because the u/s showed a "big baby" but they turned out to be a normal 7 or 8 pounds. I wouldn't personally be concerned at all by your u/s.

Also, I eat ice my entire 3rd trimesters of every pregnancy. By the bowlful.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page