Strep B Positive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have positive results on their strep b test?? I was shooting for a completely natural labor and delivery and have learned that because of this, I'll have to have antibiotics continually pumped into myself and my baby thru labor. I'm really concerned with getting my son's system off to an imbalanced start with the antibiotics in his system. I have had HORRIBLE responses to antibiotics that took me years to get under control. I also am not vaxxing, and the idea of putting antibios in him and compromising his natural immune system creates another concern.

I'm curious if there's anything else I can do other than antibiotics, or if it must be, is there a way to build by baby's system back up with probiotics or something directly or thru my breastmilk? My doctor said that since it won't be days of antibiotics, they won't do the damage they could do. Does anyone know if there's truth to that?

I really wanted to keep my lil baby's system pristine and clean of all foreign substances. This one's a blow for me. Ideas, thoughts, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM

You could ask your doc if you could do a hibiclens (chlorhexidine) douche every 4 hours during labor instead of abx - there's a study showing that to be equally effective at preventing GBS infection in newborns and more effective at preventing e.coli infections.

You could also ask to retest every week until you get rid of it... there are a ton of natural protocols online for getting rid of GBS - hibiclens, colloidal silver, garlic orally and vaginally, echinacea, vitamin C, grapefruit seed extract, probiotics, etc. Do a google search and search here on MDC.

I finally decided to take the test yesterday, but probably won't get my results until Friday - fortunately, if I'm +, my MW only wants me to have abx if I have PROM or a fever, otherwise we'd probably do hibiclens.

Oh, you can also ask for an intramuscular injection every four hours instead of an IV, or for a heplock, so you're not tethered. Regardless, I don't think it's a continuous drip, but a bag that lasts about 20 minutes every four hours. *Correct me if I'm wrong, ladies!*

Good luck!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#3 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Good luck with the hibiclens *grumpy* I did the hibiclens regimen for two weeks before my appointment and I just found out today that I'm GBS+

I'm flat out refusing antibiotics. The risk is .5%-1% for GBS disease and while that sucks, so did having my labor shut down from the antibiotics with my daughter. I'm not going through that again. But it means a 48 hour hold in most hospitals, for observation of the baby. I'm not looking forward to that, but better that and a vaginal birth than another cesarean, where the risks are FAR higher of my baby being sick, injured or dying in the first month.

I'm in a pretty bad mood from it, I'm sorry if that shows.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#4 of 24 Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 AM

More info in this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1014306

I'm doing oral abx (4 doses of amoxicyllin, however you spell it, in labor), immune boosting supplements and probiotics, and hibiclens rinse both now in hope of a GBS- and in labor if still +.
#5 of 24 Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 AM

I was going to post the same link as quietserena.

Also look in the Homebirth and UC forum

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#6 of 24 Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm not actually in this DDC, but I got bored in mine since my baby hasn't been born yet.

I just found out on Monday that I'm positive, and we're not doing anything. I'm having a HB, and my MW has never ever had an infection in over 1600 babies. I'm glad I know, though, just in case of a transfer. I'd rather "know" instead of being treated as "positive" without knowing.

At any rate, our intention is to do nothing. If my water broke significantly early, and I'm talking several days - we might consider antibiotics. Or, if I had a fever, we would. Of course, if I ended up at a hospital, I'd have to fight about antibiotics - but apparently, you "can" refuse. However, if I were in a hospital, I think I'd actually want the antibiotics because they would help protect my baby from the hospital germs.

I'm confused by the idea of "continuous" though. It's something that is done every 4 hours, and you don't have to be hooked up to an IV in between. My MW can do them.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 24 Old 12-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
However, if I were in a hospital, I think I'd actually want the antibiotics because they would help protect my baby from the hospital germs.
Actually, your baby is more likely to develop an antibiotic-resistant infection in the hospital with the antibiotics, thus increasing their risk overall. It's a really crummy decision to have to make.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 24 Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM

My doula just suggested getting to the hospital as late as possible to reduce the number of antibiotic injections.

Last time I was positive, but I couldn't remember what abx I was allergic to and so they gave me something that was "less effective". DS's white count was up so they monitored him and gave him antibiotics, I believe (it was all a blur!). My impression is that if you're positive they will just keep a closer eye on baby and watch for signs of infection if you don't get all the abx (or if you refuse them).
#9 of 24 Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!! After researching this site and following the leads, DH and I have decided NOT to get the antibios. I had planned on looking more into the hibicleanse, but I woke up this morning to my water breaking, so looks like we're just going to go with the flow! I'm a little concerned that my water broke so quickly, and I've actually not even had a "noteworthy" contraction until just now--which is 5 hours after my water broke, but I'm thinking positively that it won't be long now. Plus I'm full term (37wks 3 days) and will be monitoring for a fever.

DH and I are just relaxing and getting last minute things ready before we go to the hospital just before I'm ready to push.

Thanks so much for your help, ladies! I really thought I'd have to give those antibios to my baby! I don't know what I wouldve done this pregnancy if it weren't for this site!!!! Also, since my nurse/doctor was so horribly either misinformed or dishonest with me (real disappointment), I've decided to pay for insurance even tho I have free insurance so I can find my baby a holistic pediatrician so I don't have to be almost steered down the wrong road again. Even tho I knew it ahead of time, it really bothered me how I couldn't trust my care provider and how much "misinformation" I was given when told I had a positive test.
#10 of 24 Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
great labor vibes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#11 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Just found that I am GBS positive. I'm kind of freaked out about it especially now that I have read up on the effects of it on the baby. I didn't have this with my other two preganancies. Kind of scary. Reading the other posts has calmed me down somewhat. You ladies seem a lot more informed about alternative options than I am. I'm going to give them a try.

Is anyone going to do the antibiotics at the hospital? Also, someone mentioned that the risk is .5-1% for the baby if you are GBS positive. Is there anyplace to confirm that data? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere. All I see is the scary statistics that say that even WITH the antibiotics there is a risk, depending on how much GBS is in the mother.

Any additional info is much appreciated!!

Libby
#12 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delighted.mama View Post
Is anyone going to do the antibiotics at the hospital? Also, someone mentioned that the risk is .5-1% for the baby if you are GBS positive. Is there anyplace to confirm that data? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere. All I see is the scary statistics that say that even WITH the antibiotics there is a risk, depending on how much GBS is in the mother.
Libby
I am going to take the antibiotics during delivery. At my hospital untreated= a trip to the NICU since they have no way to determine which baby will become sick.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#13 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Good luck ladies, just be careful, those birthing in hospitals, that they don't give you a lot of hell after birth, wanting to do too many tests etc, and at all costs, try to keep them from taking them the NICU, we joke it the baby holding place, seems like once they go there for observation, they ALWAYS end up there for extra days for things that are normal and end up being nothing. Its a shame you have to balance the risks of antibiotics vs longer stay, possible exposure to hospital bugs etc.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#14 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM

I am not a part of this ddc, but the thread title popped up and got my attention. I had a homebirth a few months ago, and I was GBS+. I did the hibiclense rinse every four hours, and then we just watched my temp and the baby's temp. One thing to know about the rinse is that it temporarily washes away the colonized bacteria that are in or near your vaginal or rectal area. It needs to be repeated every four hours during labor especially if you water has broken. It will not permanently wash away GBS. So, if you rinse and then have the GBS test done, you will run the risk of getting a false negative.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#15 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM

I tested positive less than 4 hours before DS was born (which is significant because GBS is active in 4 week phases, so just b/c you test positive at 36 weeks, you could be at the end of that phase and actually be negative by birth, but most docs don't retest you and just assume you're still positive). My labor was too quick to have the abx to be effective (we still got them, but he was born less than 4 hours after the bag was emptied) and we both had horrible thrush issues for over a month after birth. Despite the fact that he was premature, only weighed 5 1/2 lbs, didn't get the abx in time, and I absolutely WAS positive when he was born, he was fine. We're UCing this time and it doesn't even matter to me. Obviously I'll watch the baby closely after birth and take him/her in if there's any signs of infection, but I seriously doubt that'll be the case.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#16 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM

I am strep B positive also. I am having a homebirth. I have chosen to do the hibiclens and increasing my probiotics. The idea behind the hibiclens and probiotics is that they will decrease the colony-not necessarily rid your body of strep B.
#17 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
However, if I were in a hospital, I think I'd actually want the antibiotics because they would help protect my baby from the hospital germs.
There is speculation that it's being in the hospital at all that results in more infections, not necessarily the strep.

Mothering has a fascinating article, very helpful. (it talks about the low low risk to the baby)

The other poster was correct that basically, for every 200 women given abx, 1 baby benefits. I would only accept the abx if I had the 3 risk factors mentioned in the article above. ETA: i actually will not take abx. I'd do the cleanse, but not abx. Not taking that risk of interference for nil benefit.

This thread was also helpful.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
we both had horrible thrush issues for over a month after birth
Yeah--be sure to take lots of probiotics even for a few months if you do end up taking antibiotics. With both of my births, I had antibiotics because my water broke and I labored a long time and eventually had C/Ss. Both times we fought thrush for months!

This time my midwife didn't even ask for a Strep B test (or GTT by the way.) She rocks! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do anything about it anyway! I sure hope I don't end up in the hospita again--because it will be a battle over antibiotics.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#19 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM

I just had the test done a few days ago and don't have the results yet...

but my midwife said that unless he was born before 38 weeks (because earlier babies have a higher chance of getting it) than we would just do the hibicleans. She didn't say whether it would be in birth/before birth etc. but if I am positive I'm sure I'll have all the details. If he's born before 38 weeks than we'll discuss whether or not I'd like to use antibiotics.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#20 of 24 Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 AM

I was GBS+ with my first baby, and I did the antibiotics in labor. Whatever it was that my midwife used, though, (and I don't remember at all) only had to be administered every eight hours. I only ended up getting one dose of it and we didn't have any ill effects. So that might be another option, too, instead of antibiotics that need to be taken every couple of hours. I am GBS+ this time too, but I am leaning toward not getting the antibiotics. It can be a tough choice!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#21 of 24 Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM

For those of you taking probiotics, did you take them before AND after the birth or just before?

Also, do they interfere in any way with regular prenatals? I don't think they do, but I'm not completely sure. I went to the health food store and stocked up on some one-a-day probiotic pills as well as Apple Cider Vinegar and grapeseed liquid. Any suggestions on what you think works best?

Libby
#22 of 24 Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 AM

You should take probiotics every day before and after you birth...take them between meals. BUT if you choose to get abx, take them 2 hours BEFORE you get the abx so they have time to kick in for you. Not sure about the prenatal thing...but if you take your prenatals in the AM then taking your probiotic in the evening should be fine. That is what I do.

As for the GSE and ACV, take them both

I was gbs pos at 36 weeks. At week 40 I found out I was (didn't get results in until then...) and for one week I took a probiotic daily, GSE drops in juice, Vit C every 4 hours (but I never took more than 2 a day), garlic vaginally, yogurt and kefir smoothies daily, and upped my intake of garlic foods and fermented foods. From about 36 weeks on I also drank ACV (a tablespoon or 2) in some water daily, sometimes a few times a day for heartburn and kept it up for the gbs as well the last week because of the benefits for getting a neg gbs result.

I did that for one week only and retested and my result was negative! Not sure if it was what I did or not...but I am glad I did and I had nothing to lose to try, kwim?

Good luck and I hope you get a negative result soon!
#23 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM

well here is my dilema, i am 13 weeks pregnant and the dr found i am GBS positive through a urine test. she said that i don't just have a colonization but an infection and she said if i don't take the antibiotics now that i could get a kidney infection and then it could go to my blood and then to the baby. the antibiotic she wants to give me is ampicillian (sp?) anytime i take an antibiotic, i get a yeast infection. (she said that won't happen as this antibiotic is very speciffically for this infection) this is going to be my 8th baby. this dr is new to me because we recently have moved. my other dr knew me better. anyway this new dr has done a good job of shaking me up. i do deliver my babies c-section-always have. do you ladies have any advice for me?
#24 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM

frisco- that's a tough one What time limit is the dr. giving you? If you have a few weeks I would do what LJ posted plus cranberry juice (helps in the urinary tract), cut out ALL refined foods, and have the dr. retest you. I would also post about your specific situation in the Birth Professionals forum to get advice from MW's and doulas. They have great info on hand that you can read up on.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page