Anyone being induced? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what your experience has been if you have been induced, OR, are you going to do it this time around?

I wasn't induced with dd's 1 & 2, but I'm thinking about scheduling it this time around just to make sure I get to the hospital on time and to make sure dh is around and the kiddos are taken care of. DD#2 came in 4 hours, including trip to hospital. This little guy is due Jan 30. I'm nervous that this one might come faster, since I've been told that the labor usually gets faster with each child. The hospital is a good 45 minutes away, assuming we don't hit rush hour traffic or crazy weather (we're near Chicago and it's been very icy and snowy here). If I knew that the little guy would come on his due date (Friday) it would be so much easier!

I'm not crazy about inducing, and I'd only do it a couple of days before the EDD, but I'm nervous about the alternative of leaving so much to chance. Any thoughts?

Libby
#2 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I highly doubt you will find much support here for induction for anything but true medical issues. There are too many risk factors (for me) to even think about it! I was late with DS and my Dr, knew I would not go for it. I did end up with pit and would never do that again!

There are always things that come up. Kids sick, someone can't come help and on and on. Things work out the way they are suppose to so I would really think about it long and hard before considering it a truly valid reason to induce!
#3 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Theres a posibility of me being induced...Ive been in some form of labour for two weeks now, and my blood pressure is rising and im super ill...Im really hoping to avoid it though...so hopefully I have some progress by mon(my next midwives apt)

The ob i got refered to is OBSESSED w me geting induced next week...his reasoning is b/c my labour w ds was clocked at 2 h 15 min. and the weather reason(canada eh!)....I say those are stupid reasons considering I am trying to have another hb(ds wasnt planned hb due to strep b positive..but when your labour is 2h and 15 min. yeah you pretty much have no choice..and i couldnt have been happier!)

Id really think about it..frm what i hear inductions pretty painful, and stressful on you and baby...im scared of epidurals so thats one of my big reasons not to get induced...pain scares me!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 PM

ITA with scsigrl. It would be really convenient for me to just schedule my birth (there'd be no induction, it would be straight to the cesarean, which so many inductions lead to anyway) so I could have help when the baby comes, but the risks are just too high.

Just have your stuff packed and ready. You'll make it just fine, don't worry.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#5 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM

I can't speak from experience but my mom was induced with my sister and she's always said of 4 it was her most painfully intense labor. Which sounds pretty horrible to me. The idea of sitting there on an IV going "Ok, here they come, get ready for labor." Sounds awful to me. BUT: I feel you on the other hand, because I have been snowed in for over a week and also live a good solid 40 minutes or more with weather/traffic from the hospital. And I have two little ones too. So I'm totally seeing what you're worried about, that out of control feeling sucks. I'm due Jan. 28th and am just trying to let go. Because I can't control it. So, sorry I don't have advice for you, but I do understand. Take care, and I hope you sort it out.
#6 of 27 Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 PM

I was induced with my first and it was such an experience that I am planning a homebirth for this baby. I was induced at 37w exactly for pre-e/toxemia.
I had cervidil and was 2cm before and after that. My water was broken and pitocin was started the next am at like 5am. I labored all day before breaking down for the epidural at I believe 1 or 2pm, and I was not even 4cm at that point. The contractions were long, hard and close together (thanks to the pitocin). After my epidural, I was able to relax and sleep, and I felt kinda pushy at like 6pm, started pushing at 6:30pm. I was lucky and could still feel my legs and the urge to push. I pushed for 3.5+ hours, my dd was finally born at 9:50pm (she was sunny side up).
I now know how lucky I was to have a vaginal birth after all that. I was told that most 1st time mothers who had epis with posterior babes end up with a section. Or that the babies get stressed after such a long pushing phase and get taken by emergency C.
I didn't feel that lucky though, my baby ended up with a 'epidural fever' (only her temp at birth was elevated, every other one was normal) which required a mandatory 48 hour stay in the NICU for her (and a IV, a septic workup, ect), so no rooming in for us and she was given bottles of formula w/o my permission cause she was jaundiced. I complained, but they told me that they would do what they had to do no matter what I said. I was lucky that my dd didn't develop nipple confusion and I was able to get her off the formula supps after I got her home.
The whole overall experience was horrible. I would NEVER induce for non medical reasons. JMO
#7 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 AM

I've been induced with all 4 of mine. In fact, I'm sure my doctor will be asking me on Monday (40 and 5) when I want to be induced this time around. She asked me with S at my appt at 41 weeks and I chose to wait 2 more days because I still had a ton of family stuff to get done.

I'm not sure what I'll choose. There might be an option on Jan 31 which would be very col, but DH turns 40 on Jan 7th and is really wanting to wait until then. If the baby looks good, I'll probably wait until then (and worry about a 9+ pound baby!) On the other hand, I'm uncomfortable enough to want to be done.

M was 41 and 5: cytotec induction overnight and then pitocin. Epidural and born OP with a hand by her face after 2 1/2 hours of pushing. I was very comfortable because of the epidural.

E was 40 and 1 (my water broke on its own, but no contractions after 10 hours): one dose of cytotec and then pitocin. My epidural only worked on the left half of me so I was uncomfortable, but only pushed an hour. She was OP, but finally turned on her and then came blasting out.

C was 41 weeks: just a couple of doses of cytotec. She was also OP before she turned and again and hour of pushing. No epidural because she had been running nearly bradycardic (heart tones in then 110's) for the last few weeks of pregnancy. I worried that an epidural would drop her heart rate lower and end up with a c/s. The doctor did use the vacuum for a couple of pushes to help bring her lower.

E was 41 and 3: AROM, but no contractions for almost 4 hours so then pitocin. I tried toughing it out without an epidural, but the pitocin made it so much more intense that in the end I went for the epidural. I pushed for about 20 minutes and the doctor turned her as she was initially OP.

This time I'm really trying to convince my body to go into spontaneous labor. I would like to do that once!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#8 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 03:10 AM

I would not induce for anything short of medical necessity. Even babies born at term can be premature - I don't think it's fair to evict the baby (out of convenience) before the baby and your body decide it's time. If I were you, I'd do my best to get a plan in place to get your children to a caregiver quickly - or arrange for someone to meet you at the hospital - and have a bag packed. I can't imagine you will have a 45 minute labor, so if you are worried about going fast, be prepared to leave as soon as you feel labor starting. I'm sure you will have plenty of time. Good luck!
#9 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbabymakes4 View Post
I now know how lucky I was to have a vaginal birth after all that. I was told that most 1st time mothers who had epis with posterior babes end up with a section.

I had a similar experience. I was induced for PIH and polyhydramnios. I labored on the pit with no meds for only about 9 hours before I got an epi. My ctx were 3.5 minutes long and 15 seconds apart. I didn't get the epi for the pain-I got the epi because I was so exhausted I couldn't move any more and I needed a break from the ctx. I can tell you that those pit ctx were INTENSE. Fortunately my hospital had walking epis and I could still get out of bed after the epi and when it wore off near the end I didn't let them top me off.

My DD was posterior and born sunny side up with 2 nuchal hands. My OB said it was the first time he'd ever seen a FTM deliver vaginally in those circumstances and he's been in "the business" for 30 years.

FTR, I was 38+6 when I was induced.

I would say that if you don't have medical reasons, don't do it! We can't always control every aspect of life but things have a way of working out.
#10 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
I didn't get the epi for the pain-I got the epi because I was so exhausted I couldn't move any more and I needed a break from the ctx. I can tell you that those pit ctx were INTENSE.
I wasn't induced exactly, but I had pit. It was like being in transition for eight hours. I would never do it again unless I had no choice.
#11 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM

I sympathize with you OP, because I was thinking of having my membranes stripped. My first labor was 2 1/2 hours, and we live in an area where snow and ice could definitely make our 30 minute ride to the hospital longer and scarier. My husband works 24 hour shifts, 30 min away from home, and may not always be able to jump into his car and leave work immediately if I call.

It turned out I was GBS +, so my midwife no longer felt comfortable stripping my membranes. Plus, deep down, I really just want my body to do what it wants, when it wants, for the best outcome. I'm still nervous about getting to the hospital on time and all of that, and also desperately want to be done being pregnant, but I'm trying to be zen about it. We also pray every night that the baby will come at a good time...

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#12 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM

My first two were inductions due to postdates (44 weeks and 42.5 weeks). I had unmedicated pitocin labors and you couldn't pay me to do that again. This one will be born at home whnever he/she is ready. It does make me a little nervous not knowing - I also have two little ones at home and work 2 jobs. It would be so convenient for me to know when this one is coming (due Jan. 10th) but pitocin labor is not worth it in my opinion. Personally, the thought of having another pitocin induced labor makes me sick to my stomach.

Think long and hard about your decision - babies have a way of knowing when to come.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#13 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 PM

I was induced a week after my edd with DS and I will NEVER do that again unless medically necessary. DS was also posterior, the pain was beyond levels I could even comprehend, making an epi almost a no-brainer, except that it didn't work so I was in excruciating pain and hooked up to all sorts of things making any movement/repositioning impossible. I luckily (from what I've read) only pushed for an hour, however DS was in big-time distress and inhaled lots of fluid on the way out. He had an Apgar of 2 and needed resuscitation from the NICU team (he was completely limp, not breathing, HR of 50 and turning gray). I have the pictures of his first minutes like this and they still make me cry. I also live about an hour from the hospital (although no inclement weather here) and have a toddler to worry about what to do with, but no way will I risk going through such a horrid birth again.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#14 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 12:58 PM

My goodness, what is it with the OP babies in this DDC? My first was OP as well, hence 3 1/2 hours of pushing, but I still didn't take the EPI. I was more afraid of the needle than the pain.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#15 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM

It sounds to me that inducing before labor begins on it's own and you're more likely to have a baby that's not quite in the right position just yet. Although my mw thinks this baby is posterior, too.
#16 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 02:48 PM

I've been induced with my first three children for going postdates, they were also all posterior. Guess it goes hand and hand with some people.. My first was right at 43 weeks, the other two were 42 weeks. I had them without pain meds/epidural but I agree having pitocin does make the contractions a lot stronger and closer together. I went on to have my last baby a day before he was due 100% natural and prefer that any day over the inductions. I'm due tomorrow and looking forward to homebirthing this little guy on HIS time. I will not be getting induced, I don't care if I go to 45 weeks!

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#17 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 08:49 PM

I will probably be induced w/ this baby at around 39 wks, assuming I am progressing well etc. I was given pit w/ Ilana at 39 wks and she was born 3.5hrs later. I went in at 4cm and 0 station and contracting lightly on my own. My DH generally heads back to work before I'm even out of L&D and my MIL is about the only one who can watch the kids and she works full time. IF baby comes before that (a possibility, Evan did) we'll deal w/ it, but it works out better for us to plan things. It goes against everything I believe in, but you do what you have to do.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#18 of 27 Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, it definitely makes me rethink it. Like I said, it is not something that I even contemplated with 1 & &2, for all the reasons everyone articulated. Maybe the best thing to do is to have a tentative plan and take it from there. With DD#2, I feel like I almost "willed" her to come on her due date because it was on a Saturday and dh was home, etc. Hmm....something to think about. I have about 4 more weeks to do it. Something about "choosing" the birthday for baby doesn't sit well with me, not to mention all the risks that can be associated with it. I'll need to give it a little more thought as the date approaches.
#19 of 27 Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 AM

I was induced both of my previous pregnancies.

#1 - DS - was 34 weeks and I had severe pre-e. I was really sick, on mag sulfate, and just out of it. Labor was induced with cervadil the night before to soften my cervix, then pitocin the day of. I got an epidural so that they could turn up the pit and things would be ready for a c-section if needed. DS was born 2.5 hours from the start of the pit. Thankfully the epidural worked, but it was extremely intense by 3cm when I got it!

#2 - DD- was 39.5 weeks and induced due to pih. Labor had been starting and stopping for a week, my bp was on the rise and crossed 140/90 consistently, and I was startign to spill protein so with my history and her being at term we decided inducing was best for both of us. I was already 4cm, they started me on very little pit, and labor was 1.5 hours total. It really wasn't painful, I was able to easily relax through contractions to 8cm before it became intense at all. I had a spinal at that point as I was completely mentally unprepared to handle pitocin induced labor wihtout an epidural, and I knew it was then or never. In hindsight I think I would have been fine, and wouldn't choose one again if in the same situation.

#3 has been a rough pregnancy - but I expect the possibility of another induction. Although I would love to go into labor naturally, we have had questions on her growth, placental issues, and my progress towards pih again. As of a week ago I thought we would have a diagnosis of IUGR by Friday, in which case I wanted to be induced as soon as she was term. We got great news of growth instead, so I feel better about watching her closely for distress and seeing how she does for now. So we will see!

As for what you should do, I think you have to decide. I would really weigh the pros and cons, and maybe ask your partner or someone you trust to help you sort through it all. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Birth by Henci Goer had some anit-medical-intervention type info, so you could look there as one source of cons of induction. I don't think inductions are all horror stories, mine weren't. But they do carry additional risks, so you should be well informed on them and ready to accept the risks and possibility of escalating interventions for whatever reason you choose one. After that you have to trust your instincts I think, and do your best to make your choice keeping in mind what is best for all involved, rather than making a decision out of fear.

Good luck!

Christy
#20 of 27 Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM

I don't think I need to go into the risks that area associated with induction, or why its best to let the baby decide when its ready. I would simply work to make sure, that if you do choose that route, you are really a good candidate for it, before proceeding. Use the bishop score to help you determine that, perhaps seek alternative methods (natural remedies, or ask about Foley induction) that you can try to avoid pitocin if possible. For a 3rd time mom, who's body is actually ready, a jump start may be all you need. Would the Dr be open to starting Pit them turning it off if your labor progresses with out it, etc.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#21 of 27 Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbabymakes4 View Post
It sounds to me that inducing before labor begins on it's own and you're more likely to have a baby that's not quite in the right position just yet. Although my mw thinks this baby is posterior, too.
I wish it were that, OP babies are present all all phases, early or late. There is a lot we can do with out lifestyles to help, in labor, getting in a childs pose type of position, or hands and knees, let gravity help, for a baby that is low and OP, sometimes, being on all 4s then dropping your chest to the floor, or on a pillow, and swaying your hips can help bring them out enough to spin with gravity. But poor positioning is a major reason for labors stalling, or progressing very slowly, or for the dreaded title of "failure to progress" that is probably far from the truth, but being unable to change to various positions aggravates the problem.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#22 of 27 Old 12-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
Use the bishop score to help you determine that, perhaps seek alternative methods (natural remedies, or ask about Foley induction) that you can try to avoid pitocin if possible.
They started my induction with a Foley, and it was no fun. Took six hours just to get to 4 cm, couldn't get up, move around or anything. Then once it came out, ctx stopped completely, making Pit an inevitability. I don't remember my bishop score, but I remember it was favorable. Inductions can suck

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#23 of 27 Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM

I was induced with Pitocin for my first. 40 weeks, 3 days, no medicl reason:"It's easier to get a bed at the hospital if we schedule it" OB says. Grrr. Totallu bullied into it and it sucked.

I will NOT go through that ever again. I'll try everything else first. I'll drink castor oil while having sex on a bumpy car ride after eating spicy food first.
#24 of 27 Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delighted.mama View Post
With DD#2, I feel like I almost "willed" her to come on her due date because it was on a Saturday and dh was home, etc. Hmm....something to think about.
I feel like I did that with both of mine. Each time there was a day that worked best for certain reasons (one being avoiding an induction) and both started just when it needed to. I'm popping in from the Feb DDC, and haven't really "picked" a time for this one, but I'm hoping that, if needed, this method will help us avoid an induction and nasty weather. Hoping, but not counting on it!
#25 of 27 Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

That happened w/ Evan too! AJ had an appt that we had waited mos for on Dec 6th, I was worried I wouldn't get to take him (this was after going into ptl on Nov 3) and we'd have to reschedule. We left there by 4 and I had my first ctxs in the parking lot! I started real labor at 6:30 that night and Evan was born 12 hrs later.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#26 of 27 Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

I was induced with my first because he was a week over due and was starting to have problems. They used gel friday night then 8am on Sat they started the pictin. Light contractions started about 9am but nothing real heavy until noon when my water broke up high and I had a slow leak. My full water broke at 5pm and Travis was born a little before 10pm. I only started feeling like pushing at 9pm so I didn't even push for an hour and I was fine "donw below" no stiches ect..

This time round I'm having tons of pain issues with the gallbladder and I have ulceratice colitis. I've been having ctrx for weeks so next week if I've started to open OB will talk about being induced. I'm doing everything I can to get there myself. If I'm induced it will only be a week early and I hope he/she comes on her own before but I can not stand this pain much longer.
#27 of 27 Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 PM

I hope not!!!!!

I'm due today. My BP has jumped twice in 2 days, so we're heading to L&D tonight for bloodwork and a NST and an OB consult. No protein in my urine, so at least that's good. She said I'm 2cm and favourable. She did a membrane sweep, which brought baby's head more solid into my pelvis. I desperately hope that if the bloodwork is okay, the OB will be agreeable with letting me have a few more days for things to start on their own. I REALLY don't want an induction.

Wish me luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page