Doing anything to prepare for labor?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are all getting so close, I wondered what (if anything) you are doing to prepare your body for labor?? I just bought some Red Raspberry Leaf tea (to tone my uterus) and am drinking a glass a day, I bought some Evening Primrose Oil pills and my midwife said once I'm 38 weeks I can start taking them each night (to help ripen the cervix), I sit in a squat as often during the day as I can, do nightly stretches, drink tons of water.
I haven't done any pereneal massage yet. . .not sure if I oughta make myself do that or not??
Also, for anyone who is also taking EPO pills, my midwife said "you can start taking 3 a night" but the ones that I bought, the doseage says 1 pill, do you think she meant take 3 a night of a pill that I should be taking 1 of? Or do you think she was referring to a brand of pill where they tell you to take 3?? They are 500whatever of EPO, how many do you take??

Anyone doing anything else, share!!
#2 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 07:43 PM

I am drinking 2-3 mugs of Mother to Be Tea (Yogi brand) a day, which is a blend of RRL and nettle and other herbs. I may try to start EPO (will talk to my MW about it tomorrow).

Other than that, just squatting and sitting on the exercise ball as much as I can stand it, and trying to remember to do some Kegels.

I've also been trying to walk as much as I can (which isn't that much with the cold and snow here) and to eat a lot of spicy food. And today I am implementing a "warm bath every night" policy to help me relax and hopefully ease some of my little aches and pains. It was a good excuse to buy some decadent bath treats at Lush

And crocheting a baby blanket which has nothing to do with labor but is essential for giving me something to focus my energies on while I wait for this LO to arrive. I'm curious to hear what other mamas are doing . . .

Mama to my sweet boy born 1/12/09
#3 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm trying to get things done around the house--taking down decorations, sewing diapers, knitting some longies, etc. It helps keep me busy and not think about when labor will happen. Also I'm trying to take naps to stay rested, going to bed early, drinking lots of water. Not doing anything to help bring labor on just yet.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#4 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 PM

I try to remember to drink either Pregnancy Tea (a blend) or RRLT every day. The ball and squats are a good idea, and I should really get some exercise, but I so don't want to!
I moved a bed today, and I might have to rearrange the living room every other day here pretty soon - my mom went into labor a few hours after doing some heavy lifting, so there's something to be said for that method, in theory!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#5 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM

-I recently upped my RRL consumption to 5-6 cups a day (from 3)
-I take 3-4 EPO capsules (yes, the bottle says one, but the bottle isn't trying to ripen your cervix!) every day
-sit on the birth ball, pelvic rocks

The feeling of perineal massage squicks me out, so I'm not gonna do it...
#6 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM

I started oral EPO 500mg twice daily at 34 weeks, at 37 weeks I will do 1 cap 3 times a day...at 38 weeks I may start it vaginally (we'll see how I feel). I try to drink 1 mug of mother to be tea a day, and I take RRL caps daily. I am also taking 1500mg of calcium a day to fend off Pre-E (had it last pg). I am still working out 5 days a week, I do the elliptical 3 days for 35 mins and I do a 20 min prenatal strength training session 2 days a week. From 37 weeks on I may switch to walking instead of the elliptical. I am also trying to take naps as needed to keep rested.

I did not do perineal massage last pg, won't do it this time either. I just let my birth support do that and warm compresses and try to push slowly to allow stretching. I had only a mild internal tear with dd.
#7 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM

DH and I called ourselves the "Bradley flunk-outs" because after the initial first week of doing kegels, pelvic tilts, squatting, etc., we just totally stopped. The only thing I did well in that class was to work really hard at increasing my protein intake when it was sinfully low due to my continuous N/V.

My Mother To Be tea made me sick early in pregnancy so that's out, too. I guess I could try EPO, but I've gotten myself into a pretty zen place about this birth and no longer feel the need to "bring it on". Even DTD isn't giving me the big, bad ctx it used to.

Last night I had so much severe cramping, cervical pain and pressure that I told DH that I think I'm going to have a contractionless labor. Peanut's head is just going to push my cervix open and come popping out at some point!

DD's birth happened so fast (ctx started out at 5 min apart and she was born a little over 2 hours later), and I think this one will, too. It puts me less in the mode of training for a marathon, and more in the mode of waiting for the gunshot that will set me off for the sprint! Of course wouldn't that stink if Peanut pulled a fast one and put me through a 24 hour labor!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#8 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Just wondering... any reason NOT to take EPO? I've never done it before and always been a couple of days "late" with really long labors.

I have been drinking RRL tea (but not enough) and listening to hypnobabies CDs. I also started up acupuncture again a couple of weeks ago and I'm always under chiropractic care to make sure my body is functioning optimally.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#9 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 PM

I've been taking EPO, I have 1000mg tablets, I've been taking them twice, the bottle says I can take them 3 times, so sometimes I do. I should get some RRLtea, I did last time, not sure why I haven't this time. i'm just trying to stay active.

Last night I had so much severe cramping, cervical pain and pressure that I told DH that I think I'm going to have a contractionless labor. Peanut's head is just going to push my cervix open and come popping out at some point!

I can completely relate, that's how I've felt the past few days. Id been feeling really good, but the past two days at work (thank God they are my last for now) I could barely stand, my right hip doesn't want to move and I have terrible public and tail bone pain.

I've been doing some vaginal probiotic, and drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice to make sure its not a UTI or something causing me extra discomfort. Anyone becoming constipated at this point? Out of the blue I'm having some trouble, boy do I feel sexy these days LOL

Just mostly trying to stay active, positive, and enjoy my last days with DD uninterrupted!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#10 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
I can completely relate, that's how I've felt the past few days. Id been feeling really good, but the past two days at work (thank God they are my last for now) I could barely stand, my right hip doesn't want to move and I have terrible public and tail bone pain.

I've been doing some vaginal probiotic, and drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice to make sure its not a UTI or something causing me extra discomfort. Anyone becoming constipated at this point? Out of the blue I'm having some trouble, boy do I feel sexy these days LOL
You might want to try a chiropractor. I had a change in bm's at the same time as onset of hip pain, and one trip to the chiro straightened both out! I have also heard that your hips being out of alignment can slow labor, so it could be one more thing to prep for labor!

As for prepping for labor, mentally so but otherwise just about to start RRL tea. Doubt I will do much else!
#11 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

I'm just trying to get organized. We just assembled dd's new 4 poster bed. CUTE! I should prob. buy some RRL tomorrow if I can find it around here. And I'll maybe get some EPO too. I did both with dd and also blue and black cohosh toward the very end. And then I'm just trying to finish my dipe stash. My first time cloth-diapering. I've got a couple sweaters felting right now in the washer from a thrift store. Then I'll try my hand at soakers. I'm not wanting to make too many tiny ones though. Oh, and I've got to buy a diaper pail. That's it.
#12 of 19 Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM

I am utilizing my DH starting today- he is in for a workout. I also told him he as to get ready for making some oxytocin.... He looked at me like I am completely nuts... I told him he is crazy to not take me up on this deal...

I am also drinking 2 quarts of RRL tea (but it is just 2 bags/2 quarts)/day- I like it iced.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#13 of 19 Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM

My MW started me on 1300mg EPO vaginally at 37 weeks. Plus a Red Raspberry combination pill that I take 3 of three times a day... it has red raspberry, black cohosh, blue cohosh, and some kind of nettle in it.

Drinking tons of water, doing squats and walking around, utilizing DH as often as time allows. lol

Been eating spicy stuff as I can too, but have basically just been paying for it in heartburn. : So I think I'm giving up on that one. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#14 of 19 Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Currently working on my "to do" list, which I am slowly whittling down.

Before I was pregnant I started drinking RRL tea- one cup/day per my herbalist/homeopath's recommendation but, have now upped that to about 3-4 C/day now. The RRL tea is a blend from Traditional Medicinals, a heartburn tea blend, and extra RRL.

I thought about doing the perineal massage but, I'm not convinced that massaging it will make *THAT* much of a difference. Either my skin stretches well naturally or it doesn't. Squating is probably more productive, our ancestors did a lot of it, so I try to do that and rolling my hips while sitting on the yoga ball.

Also, I try to work on meditation/self hypnosis/deep concentraion, etc. but, I don't always have the time or a quiet environment. 5 yo boys are quite rambunctious

Last but not least baths. For a while I have made it a point to take at least 3 baths a week with epsom salts and body oils to help with a bit of swelling and to relax. This is the time I take for the meditaion, everyone knows not to bother mama while she's in the tub Sadly, tonight was not a bath night but, it was ice cream and a movie night

Oh, DH won't let me utilize him!!!!!! I keep begging but, all I get is a no He said this weekend for sure and he better keep his promise!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#15 of 19 Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 AM

My MW told me to start EPO, but didn't really have a number for me - she said I could start with a "loading dose" of 6,000mg daily, but I asked her if I needed to decrease that after a week or something and she said no... Then her assistant chimed in and said another midwife in the area does 1,000mg the first week on it, 2,000mg the second... So they basically said "Um, take however much you want." When I told them I got the 1,300mg pills, they advised four a day - so I've been doing 3,900mg orally and 1,300mg vaginally each night.

I have a boatload of RRL and "pregnantea" and haven't been drinking either one. My MW said I can drink up to a quart of RRL daily, though. She didn't really have a preference for how much to use vs. how much water, though she said she's had clients use 1oz. of RRL in a quart of water as a very strong dose at the start of labor - so she recommends less than that for a normal dose.

I need to be doing more pelvic tilts/hands-and-knees to encourage the baby to be LOA/OA, but I'm being kinda lazy about that too. I really should get my $*@# together!
#16 of 19 Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
I thought about doing the perineal massage but, I'm not convinced that massaging it will make *THAT* much of a difference. Either my skin stretches well naturally or it doesn't. Squating is probably more productive, our ancestors did a lot of it, so I try to do that and rolling my hips while sitting on the yoga ball.

We did try the perineal massage for a little bit, but it's hard with DH's schedule. But wanted to put out some info from the doula I had my birthing class with.

She said it is actually more for the brain connection of the pressure down there, not neccessarily to help with stretching. It's more a preparation for the brain not to "freak out" when it feels a new intense pressure down there in hopes it won't tense up more or back off or whatever and that you are better prepared to deal/work with it in a way of "oh right, I have felt this pressure before..." kind of thing.

She said intercourse in various positions could help with the same effect though. That sounds like more fun to me. lol

I do the meditating baths too. So lovely!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#17 of 19 Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Good to know about the perineal pressure

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#18 of 19 Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM

I am doing EPO and pregnancy tea with RRL in it. I did walking on Thursday which is what led to the Dress Rehearsal thread.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#19 of 19 Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm drinking a mix of RRL and pregnancy tea. I'm taking extra vitamin E for skin elasticity. Hmm... we're DTD as often as possible.
I do a little bit of perineal stretching... mostly in the shower. I just stretch down there to get used to the feeling. Luckily I didn't have any problem with having DD... midwife said I breathed her down nicely.

I'm debating on the EPO... I haven't really heard much about it but everyone seems to swear by it on here, so I'll be researching that. Also looking into cohashes in case I go overdue.

Household wise, we have a ton of easy prep meals and frozen meals because I've been freezer cooking. Also stuff like premixing the dry ingredients for pancake batter (DH says it's a huge, humongous help... apparently measuring out ingredients makes him wonky). Same with muffin mixes, oatmeal mixes, etc.

Non-birth-related, I just went out with a girlfriend and we went to Old Navy and I got about ten tops (for $50... awesome sale going on) for after the baby's born. They're all loose but feminine, as opposed to the men's Tshirts i've been wearing. We made plans for a few months after the birth to go out and completely re-do my lower half wardrobe.

Shopping really brought my spirits up from the vicinity of the sewer. I got a cool neato pair of shoes too. So that's not really "birth" prep, but spirit prep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page