I forgot about burping. - Mothering Forums
January 2009 > I forgot about burping.
racidoodle's Avatar racidoodle 12:05 AM 01-02-2009
My DS is 20 months old, so I haven't felt particularly compelled to "brush up" on my new-baby skills, but I was flipping through the Breastfeeding chapter of the Sears' Baby Book and I realized that I totally forgot that you have to burp little babies! I hated burping DS -- he was such a puker for months -- and I was so dismayed that I had forgotten something so fundamental! So now I'm a bit worried. What else have I forgotten?? Yikes...

Anyone else feel like she better start cramming?

andbabymakes4's Avatar andbabymakes4 02:45 AM 01-02-2009
Yes! My dd will be turning 4 next month! I feel like it's been a long time since she was in diapers, let alone a newborn! I am terrified of re-establishing a new breastfeeding relationship. That and colic. My dd was horribly colicky till she was 7 months!!! If this baby is colicky too I am not having any more!
quietserena's Avatar quietserena 03:46 AM 01-02-2009
The funniest part is that my new one doesn't like to be burped. She squirms until she burps herself.

I had completely forgotten that they cry in the car and you can't help them. Saddest thing about the car rides.
mamasthree's Avatar mamasthree 09:34 AM 01-02-2009
It's funny how all babies have their little "nuances". My first was textbook colicky...from 6-9 every night she had her cry fest. She was the perfect baby in every other way, never spit up, slept great, etc. But there was no comforting her during that evening time. #2--a great snuggler, content as long as she was near someone, but a projectile spitter...oh man, was that gross. #3--a complete nightmare baby! cried all the time, never seemed happy, and she is still our most demanding child--but also one of our most entertaining and she brings us lots of laughter and joy now. So I wonder what #4 will be like!

I do get a little anxious about the newborn stage...they are just a lot of work at that age.
jr'smom's Avatar jr'smom 12:16 PM 01-02-2009
I had forgetten about burping, when my DS2 was born, so I know exactly what you mean! (and my boys were only 18months apart.) I think DH instinctively started to burp DS2, when I realized it hadn't even occurred to me! At least you're remembering ahead of time.

I do hate that my newborns seem to cry in the car too. With all of them I've pulled over to nurse them on longer trips (1hour.) I would on shorter trips too--but I don't think that was too much of a problem. I'm hoping that having this little one sitting in the second row of the van with her brothers behind her (in front of her-since she'll face backwards) that she'll be pre-occupied by them.
Jannah6's Avatar Jannah6 12:37 PM 01-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
I do hate that my newborns seem to cry in the car too. With all of them I've pulled over to nurse them on longer trips (1hour.) I would on shorter trips too--but I don't think that was too much of a problem. I'm hoping that having this little one sitting in the second row of the van with her brothers behind her (in front of her-since she'll face backwards) that she'll be pre-occupied by them.
We still have to stop sometimes, I have a 15 month old. As for burping, I never had to burp my nurslings.
katmann's Avatar katmann 12:35 AM 01-03-2009
The first baby I ever burped was my nephew, and he puked (pediasure puke at that) all over one of my favorite tees. I wasn't thrilled at the time, but I still have the shirt and it makes me think of him (now 8) when I wear it. So I have a happy recollection of burping. But I know when it's my baby, which will be any day now, puke could easily be part of my daily life!
racidoodle's Avatar racidoodle 12:41 AM 01-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I had completely forgotten that they cry in the car and you can't help them. Saddest thing about the car rides.

oh, gosh... i forgot about that, too! i used to sing (um, shout, really) "The Wheels on the Bus" over and over and over and over to calm DS in the car. i could get away with a verse or two of "You Are My Sunshine" or "Twinkle, Twinkle," but nothing worked like those bus wheels going 'round and 'round.
Up