Cold Remedies and advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm 40w2d and feeling miserable as ever. I have a stuffed nose and sinuses (can't breathe out of my nose), burning teary eyes, headache, sore throat, body aches, a little bit of a temperature, popping ears every time I swallow. I haven't taken any meds at all during this pregnancy and wanted to ask some Mommas what natural things they'd take to help with these symptoms. I couldn't sleep at all last night and feel like a dead person walking. I've been drinking throat coat tea and respiratory something tea, and also boiled ginger w/honey. I've also been taking emergen-C. Hubby works at hospital and brings home some mean hard to get over bugs -- he had this one 2 weeks ago.

Also, Dr swept my membranes yesterday so I've been dealing with some horribly strong cramping (picture an arthritic geriatric lady walking to the bathroom bent in half 10 times last night) and of course no contractions. I was 80% effaced and 1cm dialated.

My Mother is flying in from Spain on Tuesday hoping to meet her first grandchild. She could only take 1 week off work and I'm afraid if we continue with this trend of false labors and no consistent contractions, she'll go back to Spain without meeting her little girl.

I'm getting ready to try castor oil. Is it true that labor sucks royally from it? Meaning, you get contractions that are too strong, increase chance of miconium, more pain than normal, etc.? I drink RRL tea daily, for the past few weeks I've even been chewing on the leaves themselves!! (I like the flavor, I know, weird). I've gone hiking, snowshoeing, bike riding, walking, sexing, and nothing. Nipple stimulation gives me zero contractions.

I asked the Dr if there would be a risk of me giving this cold bug I have right now to the baby (if she was born while I'm still sick) and she said no. She said I'd still be able to nurse, and it is extremely rare for babe to catch what I have right now.

HELP. I'm miserable. Advice on what to take for bad cold? Experience with castor oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm not sure what would help with the cold. do you have a netti pot or some way to flush out your sinuses? i took some homeopathic stuff early in this pregnancy that seemed to help, but you want to do it under supervision.

i don't know anything about taking castor oil, but i had luck with eating a ton of pineapple last time.

good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Have you tried Zicam? It usually makes a little bit of difference (if not a lot) and it's only zinc. Just make sure you get the one that goes into your nose.. that one works best and only has the zinc in it. Also, we use Sinus Relief by Bioforce.. takes away some of the symptoms. You sound like you have a little more than the typical cold so I can't guarantee how well both of these products will work.

Good Luck!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Neti pots are awesome.

Stay away from castor oil.
#5 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I take Hyland's Cold remedies if I need to take anything. Homeopatics are safe to take, they either work for you or they don't and have no side effects.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#6 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM

I have found my neti pot to be very useful. I use it in the shower so I have the steam helping too!

I hope you feel better soon!

I also induced with castor oil the last time around. My labor was short and even. I did only one dose though. I skipped the second one. I was being bullied with pitocin though, and knew I did not want that at all!

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page