how to pass the time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My edd is Friday - 5 more days, but I have this sinking feeling I'm going to go late. My last day of work was Thursday, I'm caught up on housework and paperwork, all the baby stuff is washed, folded and refolded, organized and reorganized, I've bought everything that needs buying, researched everything that needed researching, read all of the books I wanted to read, cooked & frozen at least 2 weeks worth of meals. . . . now what??? It's going to be a long 5 days, and if I go over, an even longer however long it will be!! Any ideas???
#2 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Wow, you are super on top of things. I've been knitting a lot, and I don't believe I'll ever read all the books I want to read, so that's what I've been doing. You can go for lots of walks too (depending on the weather of course, it's pretty cold here in VA). Any friends you can have lunch with or go shopping with? What about playing games with your partner or watching movies?

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#3 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 PM

That's exactly what I've been thinking! My EDD is Wednesday--but I've been two days "late" with my first two. I don't know why I stop and get excited about every contraction I have--hinking--"Is this it?"

I'm extremely bored and know I should be enjoying this rest before the baby arrives.

I've got two adorable little boys here to play with (and do), I've got my DH doing the "nesting" for me (he's on his hands and knees washing the wood floors as we speak), I'm completely spoiled, and yet in agony about WHEN, WHEN, WHEN?!

Wish I had advice for you on how to pass the time--but I can't figure that out myself!

I'll stalk this thread for some good ideas!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#4 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Treat a day ladies! It is all about the treat a day! we started mine yesterday- but today got screwed because of random drama.... But tomorrow I am back on schedule with DH for my treats for still being pregnant!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM

my doula suggested STILLing for the emotional spiritual stuff of value that can come from just that.

sometimes not doing is more challenging than doing!

DD 12/08
#6 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm not nearly as organized, but I am wondering how I'm going to wait if this baby takes his time. I'm due on Saturday and really hoping he comes sooner. I'm too big and uncomfortable to do the fun stuff I like to do with my kids (and it's cold outside), so I feel kind of lame. My DH has been the fun parent for weeks now and I'm just ready to be active again (with a newborn in tow).

#7 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Today is my EDD and no baby. I have been experiencing really irritating bouts of labor and then 12-15 hours of NOTHING in between. My other 3 children are driving me batty, and I have no idea how I am going to cope with DH going to work for 12 hours tomorrow. And every day until baby makes herself known. I am taking the kids to the home school co-op field trip at our post office tomorrow, and then I have the ballet run to do. I am so not looking forward to that. I have to take her though. We missed last week because I was home with contractions 3-5 minutes apart and we thought we were having a baby.

I would love a treat a day. It is so not going to happen. I have too much competition.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#8 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Treat a day ladies! It is all about the treat a day! we started mine yesterday- but today got screwed because of random drama.... But tomorrow I am back on schedule with DH for my treats for still being pregnant!
what is a treat day???
#9 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommom View Post
my doula suggested STILLing for the emotional spiritual stuff of value that can come from just that.

sometimes not doing is more challenging than doing!
and what is STILLing? Just sitting still??
#10 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I like it!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#11 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Tell me about the wait! My EDD is 1/30 and seeing everybody having their sweet babies is killing me! Mostly because I am on modified bedrest and also, I can't drive for 90 days! So I can't even work, go to the mall and walk. Yick.
#12 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Treat a day is just like what it seems! Yesterday DH and I went on a date, today was screwed up due to family drama- but my darling SIL brought me brownies!!! Tomorrow we are going to hang out with at mama group, Tuesday we are going to maybe go to a quilt shop, Wednesday is my OB appointment and hit the knitting shop, Thursday we have a playdate with our only crunchy friends and maybe friday we will go swimming......

Heck- it doesn't have to cost anything- just something fun to look forward too. Maybe a bubble bath or watch a movie in bed or bake cupcakes or anything!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#13 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

The wait is killing me as well. I am 8 days past my EDD and pretty miserable about it. I think I am going to have some chocolate chips cookies and watch TV. This time around is so much harder for me because I have a two year old. I love him to death but I am cranky and just really want peace and quiet throughout the day. At least tomorrow he goes to pre-school for a few hours.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#14 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 PM

well...I'll be 42 weeks tomorrow-my EDD was 12/29. So far I've been planning one thing to do a day to keep myself from going nuts--a walk, if it's not too cold, meeting up with a friend (who has been given a fair warning to not dare ask me anything about "when is the baby coming"); a quick outing with DH. I've seen two really great movies, and I try to spend some time journaling every day. I am really grasping at straws at this point--I mean what else can I do at this BUT kinda be still and wait? I figure as long as I ave one thing to look forward to doing for the day, even if it's just getting outside and taking a walk, I've done something other than sit and wait and mope and ignore everyone calling to ask if I've had the baby yet and spend too much time on the internet.

came back to add that Netflix watch instantly has become my best friend. I've watched hours and hours of The Office and it has preserved quite a bit of my sanity these past couple weeks.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#15 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM

for those past their EDD!!

I'm due Sunday and the wait is killing me too. Just about everything is done so now I am trying to think of quick things to knit up. Today I knitted an adorable newborn pink and green hat and I might knit a matching diaper soaker, we'll see.

Every day I take a nice bath to relax so that helps a bit. I'd like to do more but I'm swelling and hate the feeling of my legs when I stand up, all itchy and tight:

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#16 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm due Sat. and going crazy already. I do have lots to do (cleaning, laundry) but I just don't feel like it, lol. I guess the lack of sleep doesn't help. DS actually slept all night in his bed in his room for the 1st time a few nights ago and every night since but I'm not sleeping any better w/o a toddler in my bed.

I also kinda thought I'd have the baby this past weekend because I stopped taking prometrium (progesterone can help with breast tissue development) and my midwife said stopping it might help start labor. Nada. I also never went into labor with DS (was induced) so I'm a first time mom in the whole labor thing and I just keep hearing my midwife say "At 42 weeks your baby needs to be born." With a VBAC we'd try natural labor induction first and then pitocin... I may refuse if it comes to that. They have my EDD as the 20th (its really the 17th) so I'd be 42w3d anyway. And into Feb - eek! I need my Jan baby.

Ok I'm babbling. Anyway I think the treat a day sounds nice too. I just shouldn't treat myself with dessert because I'm at 40+ lbs. already, sigh. lol. We're going out with my mom today. I'll try to make some plans for tomorrow

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#17 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM

I have an idea for those of you ladies that are waiting, come on by my house and help me with my DC Thank God, I've never gone past my due date. s to you Mama's who are/have gone past their due dates.

KelliHope, how about visiting with friends?

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#18 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliHope View Post
and what is STILLing? Just sitting still??
yea, just chillin' out, being more still as opposed to runnin' around doing errands and stuff.

maybe meditating, drinking tea, zoning out looking at the trees or something.

DD 12/08
#19 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
well...I'll be 42 weeks tomorrow-my EDD was 12/29. So far I've been planning one thing to do a day to keep myself from going nuts--a walk, if it's not too cold, meeting up with a friend (who has been given a fair warning to not dare ask me anything about "when is the baby coming"); a quick outing with DH. I've seen two really great movies, and I try to spend some time journaling every day. I am really grasping at straws at this point--I mean what else can I do at this BUT kinda be still and wait? I figure as long as I ave one thing to look forward to doing for the day, even if it's just getting outside and taking a walk, I've done something other than sit and wait and mope and ignore everyone calling to ask if I've had the baby yet and spend too much time on the internet.

came back to add that Netflix watch instantly has become my best friend. I've watched hours and hours of The Office and it has preserved quite a bit of my sanity these past couple weeks.
sounds like you are doing a great job handling the wait.

DD 12/08
#20 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
KelliHope, how about visiting with friends?
most of my friends are an hour and a half away, so I just visit with my internet friend instead
#21 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM

I am only a couple days late and I'm going crazy. Even WITH still working. *bangs head on desk*

I'm trying to rest as much as possible and get everything done at work still....but I'm so emotionally drained. I spent most of the day either crying, napping (not more than an hour though) or trying to be distracted with Netflix. Omg, I second the Instant Watch on the Netflix!! I've been watching Law & Order: SVU from season 1 and its been nice to have the distraction. Also been watching lots of cheesy romantic comedies and fluff films.

The comforting thing is we have an appointment on Wed where we will evaluate. Because of my vomiting/nausea and weight loss that has picked up, if we haven't progressed past a certain point, I'll be induced on Thursday. As much as I don't want that, it's comforting to have a somewhat certain end point....

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#22 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

I know what you mean. Don't feel like getting up and doing anything nowadays (not even leave the house, except for my dr's appointment). Good thing I have to cook almost every day. That gives me smthg to do... Every twinge or contraction feels like it's going to lead to labor. I've never even had a naturally-occurring labor (i was induced with both babies). I don't even know what to expect. It's frustrating....
I have to say I love online pregnancy forums, birth stories, and the internet...
#23 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Y'all could come clean my house! Baby is 9 days old, my toddler is being, well, a toddler, and my mom comes Wednesday! ACK! So not ready for houseguests!
#24 of 25 Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM

i'm due this coming tuesday. I am excited, but have a feeling it won't happen by/on tuesday. I have a two-year old and a 12-year old, so they keep me busy to an extent but not enough!!! Tried castor oil and DTD last night - did nothing for me except the latter cleaned up my system!!
#25 of 25 Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 AM

I'm finding that planning somewhere to go, often with dd, gives me something to look forward to. We play at home a lot, too, but often I feel like I'm waiting around for baby to come when we do that. So, we've been making more trips than usual to the children's museum and other local places I've wanted to visit for a while. It's easier now anyway, right =) Plus, I get a kick out of answering the question 'when are you due?' with 'last week.' It's always followed with 'when will they induce you?'

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page