Would you agree to an induction at 42 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nine days past my EDD and my very hands-off midwife wants to induce me at 42 weeks. I have had two NSTs and everything looks healthy. I am 3 cm but she said my cervix is very stretchy and could probably be stretched to 5 or more cm. I trust this midwife, she is a huge advocate for natural birth but I never went into labor with my first baby (different care provider) and this time I was determined to "do it right." At the same time, I am so done being pregnant. Emotionally every day that passes feels awful and exhausting. At what point would you agree to an induction?

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM

After having been down that road before, I wouldn't induce at 42 weeks now unless there was some reason besides dates that I felt made it medically necessary. I'm not sure at what point I would start thinking about inducing for dates, if I would at all again. DD was born at 42 weeks exactly due to midwife-recommended CO induction, and I very much regret doing that now. I expect this baby stay put for close to the same amount of time (or longer) and I'm ok with that. I am exhausted, uncomfortable, emotional and looking forward to giving birth, but I feel very strongly that my baby is healthiest coming in his/her own time.

T , mom to S and C
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Here the protocols are such that at 42 weeks, you must transfer care (away from awesome homebirth midwives to random OB).

You and I have the same due date, and are kind of in the same boat! My own decision is to attempt an induction at home (castor oil and AROM) for a chance at a homebirth, on the last day possible (if it should come to that). Then if it doesn't work I can still be attended in the hospital by my same midwives that day.

But then I tend to stay pregnant a long time. My previous 42-weeker was definitely NOT underdone or "just" at term, too, so I feel comfortable doing this. I can see why someone else would make a different decision.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 AM

If I was sure of my dates and truly believed I was 42 weeks, yes I would likely agree to an induction at 42 weeks. That said, I went 40 and then 41 weeks with my boys and both happened without anything artificial means of induction. I just know that the 2nd time around waiting an extra week felt like forever, and if I were to go another week longer still, I would be more open to moving things along.

I would however avoid pitocin and pursue other means of induction.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerypolyp View Post
Here the protocols are such that at 42 weeks, you must transfer care (away from awesome homebirth midwives to random OB).

You and I have the same due date, and are kind of in the same boat! My own decision is to attempt an induction at home (castor oil and AROM) for a chance at a homebirth, on the last day possible (if it should come to that). Then if it doesn't work I can still be attended in the hospital by my same midwives that day.

But then I tend to stay pregnant a long time. My previous 42-weeker was definitely NOT underdone or "just" at term, too, so I feel comfortable doing this. I can see why someone else would make a different decision.
I'm a dork, and have been meaning to ask "What's AROM?" TIA
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowAndColtsMama View Post
I'm a dork, and have been meaning to ask "What's AROM?" TIA
Artificial rupture of membranes

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM

I would agree if the conditions are right, but I cannot be induced this time. I am VBAC'ing so I have to do it on my own, or face repeat c/s at 42 weeks. I am now 40+2.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I wouldn't agree if there isn't a medical problem. I agreed at 41w6d with DS and ended up with a c/s

This time I 'fudged' my dates so when my midwives want to induce at 42w I'd really be 42w3d. I'm praying and praying I don't hit that mark. If I do (I will try natural inducers at home first) I don't know what I'll do. I may just not show up for the induction. At that point they can't refuse care. I'd rather have a UBAC at home than be induced. It does help that we literally live right across the street from a hospital (not the one I'm going to) so in the case of a true emergency I could be in an OR just as fast as if I'd been in the hospital all along.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM

After being on MDC for a little while and knowing what I know, I wouldn't be induced.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Ideally, no, I wouldn't. BUT this pregnancy is really testing my resolve. It doesn't help that my blood pressure keeps spiking way beyond where it should be, so I guess technically that gives me a medical reason, but I want so badly to let this baby come on its own. And yet if you could promise me that I could eat 2 whole pineapples today and have a baby tonight, I think I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM

I think I would. I also just heard a story from a friend who was kind of in your boat, dialated to 4, stretched to a 5, so when they induced her she was already so close to being there that she didn't need an epidural and delivered in like 4 hours.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I think it'd depend on whether or not there was a medical reason for it, how far along I actually was, if I'd have to transfer care, etc. I'm saying this at 42+1--I FINALLY started feeling some contractions yesterday. Granted, after 41 weeks I started EPO and the cohoshes for a couple days, so one could say I did try to naturally induce. Generally, though, if nothing bad or risky was going on I might want to wait a bit. due dates aren't always right, and if you have longer than a 28 day menstrual cycle, it's already kind of off for you (mine, for example, is closer to 32 days). I'd just consider all the factors and see what makes the most sense for you. your emotional well-being is important too, and having people around who can support you in whatever choice you'll make. Good luck mama!

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What kind of induction is she talking at this point? I mean, I have tried some natural/herbal kind of inductions but I would not submit to a medical induction unless it were absolutely necessary. My only "real" induction was with my third baby and we had AROM at 4cm. at the hospital because we thought she might have some birth defects and were close to 44 weeks past lmp.

I think some gently nudges at this point may be okay. Lots of sex, walking a lot, red raspberry leaf and tincture, etc... I wouldn't be talking castor oil or anything like that unless there is a real indication for the baby to come out.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had AROM at home, with my midwife, when I was at three centimeters and stretching to 5 cm. It did work. But there's always the chance that it won't and you wind up in the hospital with Pitocin and maybe a c-section.

If it's a matter of inducing so that you can deliver with your midwife instead of an OB, I think it's worth the risk. If you get to deliver with your midwife even after 42 weeks, that seems like a much tougher call to me.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM

I'd consent to some induction techniques, but not all. What's she talking about, sweeping the membrane? AROM? Home techniques like walking, sex, nipple stim? That, I'd say yes to. Pitocin? Nope.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone so much for your replies. I got incredibly lucky and went into labor on my own and had my natural birth. Little Luca Vincent arrived 10 days late and weighing 9 pounds! The birth was very difficult but I am so glad everything worked out and I didn't consent to an induction. I'll try and post the birth story later but to all the mama's who are overdue, I am sending you good labor vibes.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.

User Tag List