How are all the Mama's doing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 10 days old now and eats constantly! He's already 8 ounces above his birth weight - he gained 11.5 ounces in 5 days! Eek! He also will only sleep while being held, while nursing, or snuggled up with me in bed, which is making it impossible to get anything done, especially since he's rejecting the mei tai and only accepts the pouch every third or fourth time I put him in it. He won't nap in the Amby. We just bought a bassinet but so far he's refused that too. *sigh* He's been really fussy at night, constantly wanting to eat and then doing the pull-off, head-shake thing. I can't quite figure him out, but I'm pretty sure he's not sleeping as much as most newborn babies. It's rare for him to go 3 hours, and unfortunately for me, 2 hours seems to be the max at night. Hopefully this phase will pass!

to all the mamas having tough recoveries!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#32 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Well, I'm finally feeling better - enough to go to the pediatrician today!! It was Lincoln's 9 day check up. At his 2 day check up he weighed 8lbs 8oz, and today he weighed 9lbs 3oz!! thats 11oz in 1 week! And, he only eats about every 4-5 hours, no matter what time of day it is. He's quite the efficient nurser too, he empties an entire boob in 10-15 minutes! I'm just so happy that he's gaining weight and is healthy, and he's so cute too - its amazing!! His grandparents are also visiting us from Seattle which makes me happy, and they are absolutely smitten with him!

My tear seems to be healing very nicely, its just sore still so I'm still trying to take it easy for the most part. I'm also afraid to sit down, I only sit on the boppy pillow and only on soft seats like the couch.
#33 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM

good and bad.

i don't know how you all do it with multiple kids!

my mom and her husband are here and that is great, as hubby is across the country (his mom just decided to be taken off of life support measures and is in the ICU, presumably dying in the next few days). i don't know how i'll do it on my own....but i know that lots of women do it and i feel a little lame that i'm finding it so tough.

meh.
#34 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM

I have a sleeper! Yay! I have a sleeper. I've never had a true sleeper. Okay, so he's only just over 2 weeks old, but he sleeps more than the other two ever did at this age. He is wonderful and we can't stop looking at him. He has such a mellow demeanor, thus far. As long as he has his breast he is satisfied. I have already noticed a definite cow's milk sensitivity, which all my babies have had. So no more milk and cookies for me.
I'm still feeling pretty weak after 2 weeks. I lost quite a bit of blood and was told my numbers were very low. I chose floradix and chlorophyll instead of meds, but I am feeling so wobbly and I have a sharp shooting headache behind my ear that I have had since the birth that just won't go away. I had no tears and just a few days of hemorrhoid yuckiness that has already gone away. to those still dealing with that literal pitb.
We are also dealing with some pretty big life changes and decisions right now, so it is interesting that this little one is here at this time in our life to distract us. He is so divine. Right now, I am trying my best to hold onto this babymoon and spend as much time alone with him as I can, until we have to let the world in again.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#35 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
DS is 10 days old now and eats constantly! He's already 8 ounces above his birth weight - he gained 11.5 ounces in 5 days! Eek! He also will only sleep while being held, while nursing, or snuggled up with me in bed, which is making it impossible to get anything done, especially since he's rejecting the mei tai and only accepts the pouch every third or fourth time I put him in it. He won't nap in the Amby. We just bought a bassinet but so far he's refused that too. *sigh* He's been really fussy at night, constantly wanting to eat and then doing the pull-off, head-shake thing. I can't quite figure him out, but I'm pretty sure he's not sleeping as much as most newborn babies. It's rare for him to go 3 hours, and unfortunately for me, 2 hours seems to be the max at night. Hopefully this phase will pass!

to all the mamas having tough recoveries!
This is what DD has started doing in the past couple days! She does that head shake thing then gets so mad that she isn't attached anymore when she is the one that detached! lol

Sleeping has been rough... she likes being held during the day and has been sleeping on either me or DH at night in bed. But she has been wanting to vigorously nurse every hour or so... once in awhile she will go a 2 hour stretch. It is making Mama very very sleepy.

She is sleeping in my arms now and looks so adorable. Just wish I knew what was going on with her that has her so agitated while she is awake.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#36 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone? Been quite a few days...

Last night was really really rough. I don't know what was wrong with Kallie, but she was sort of freaking out from 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm and just wanted to stay attached to the breast. I was so worn out and kept switching her, I have no idea what that was all about. She seems much better this morning, thankfully though... except now Mama has a migraine. : Ouchies.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#37 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Doing pretty good over here.

Avi is 4 days and already has such personality. We brought the dogs home from my parent's house yesterday and they did sooo good. Our 6 year old mini schnauzer is so enthralled with her, she loves to just sniff at her and is so protective of her. Our year old sheltie was scared of her and just this morning was brave enough to smell at her head.

We have a pattern established now too for the night....a mixture of cradle, car seat and sleeping on our chests to get through the night that kind of fell into place last night and should work.

My milk came in yesterday and that has been fun....they don't tell you how much the nursing hurts.....but its so much easier with the milk than the colstrom. And holy cow, Boppy pillows really are the awesome. Still trying to figure out the best settings for my pump...but I have 6 more weeks or so before I have to have that down.

We had our first ped appointment yesterday and the doc was amazed at how alert she was, always looking around, and how dexterous her hands were. When she shined the light in her eyes to check them out, she threw her arms over her face to stop the light from getting in them. That and she's been working well on getting her head up and around already....my baby is growing up too fast!!!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#38 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

We do a lot of sleeping on chests here too... it's so cozy. DD is hillarious cause no matter how far down I situate her head on my chest she wiggles her way up to nestle her head into my neck, which makes us both sweat like crazy, but she seems to love that. lol

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#39 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm so glad to hear how many other babies love to sleep on chests. Makes me feel better. It's been a week here for us. I'm doing alright (great compared to having a C-section, tho). I lost a lot of blood after the delivery so my hemoglobin levels dropped pretty low. It's made me feel extremely run down.. just getting dressed makes me tired. I did get out of the house today, though, for a bit.. I was going stir crazy. I don't think I've ever been in the house for 5 days straight!
I tore but I guess not that badly b/c I've only been irratated by it a couple times and have no problems sitting around without pain. The hemorroids are worse than the tear and even that just started bothering me more today. I could def. do without the bleeding... yuck! I had a C-section last time and i don't remember bleeding as much. Breastfeeding is going well.. def. sore, only a little cut on one nipple that is healing much quicker than it did with my last.. Maya likes to sleep for 3 hours chunks lately and my chest feels like it's going to explode! Been pumping to help it out and have a good stash already reserved (yeah!). Mentally, I feel so much better than I did with dd.. I've only felt like crying a few times so far. Talk to me on Monday, though, when my husband goes back to work.. he's had the week off and has done so much. I'm scared to see what happens when he's gone.. we've already jumped like crazy on the tv watching - my dd is in heaven - she's never watched so much in her life. I figure if I just let myself know that it's going to be a couple of weeks of tv watching and not getting much done, it'll way a lot easier on me. There have even been a couple of days my dd never even made it out of her jammies . Oh well!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#40 of 41 Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Miriam is 6 days old today. We're doing pretty good. I know I tried to do too much the first couple of days because now I'm considering mastitis and the last day in bed a blessing. Why didn't I just stay in bed to begin with....

I had a low supply with DS and was/am so nervous about that again but we've had enough wet/dirty diapers so far, my boobs have gotten huge and engorged (which didn't happen at all last time), and I can hear her gulping! I think we'll go back to the pedi next week for a weight check so we're positive.

She sleeps for 3-4 hour stretches at night (on my chest too!) which is soooo nice. We've gotten her to sleep in her car seat a bit too just because I sleep a little easier that way. Its amazing how much more laid back you are with second children. I've been giving her to DH for a couple hours here and there so I can sleep. I needed DS with me constantly.

DH has been such a trooper. I keep calling him via cell phone with requests and he runs me up drinks, food, etc. Cell phones are great He's done all the laundry and dishes, etc.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#41 of 41 Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM

We are now at 8 days pp. Things are going very well with Miss Baby. The other 3 are another story. They came home from my parents house on Thursday and gave us hell. Then one of the twins decided to wake-up at 11:30pm and not.go.back.to.sleep. The baby slept through his antics, but shall we say mama and daddy were less than stellar in how they handled Mr. jealous 2 year old?

I am restricting my trips out to one per day. I am still not really driving. My stitches are healing well, but the hemorrhoids are still needing numbing cream and cortizone 3 times a day as well as witch hazel. I will probably require surgery this time to get rid of them. I expected this as the ones from my first pg have never gone away. I also continue to take Motrin because it seems to help. No more after pains, thank goodness. The twin pregnancy last time made my uterus was so stretchy. this time the after pains felt like labor pains. I actually needed to breath through some of them.

DH had to go back to work on Friday for a HUGE meeting, so I had to hold down the fort for a few hours. We filled those with lunch, nap, and television. He is taking Monday off so he can do the Home school co-op with the kids. I am not ready to have 20 people over to my house yet, and I can't drive to the alternate location. DH doesn't want the kids to miss out. I am not excited for Tuesday. Neither of us is ready for him to be gone 14 hours a day. I am going to have to impose a strict new schedule on the kids, and nobody is going to be thrilled with it. Least of all me. I wish the weather were warmer. It was easier having babies in July and October. The temp. is going to drop back into the teens every day this week, so I won't really be able to get the kids outside much. I have a fleece baby wearing vest, but I don't think that will be enough to stand around outside in. brrrr...

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page