How are all the Mama's doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been so many babies born in the past week! How is everyone doing?

I'm so in love and in such a blissful state. DH took this week off and we are enjoying just hanging out with our new daughter. It is simply amazing.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#2 of 41 Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

I'm in love, but seriously sore - I haven't even gotten out of bed in the last 2 days b/c I tore so badly. My midwife just stopped by to check me and said that the swelling has gone down tons though, so I'm on the mend.

must nap.
#3 of 41 Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM

I'm sore too! but it's only been a day. I feel like I won't be able to walk properly for a week. But DH and I are loving our little one and in pretty good moods considering how little sleep we've had.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#4 of 41 Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 PM

mine will be 3 weeks tomorrow and is in the middle of cluster feeding. been on the boob all.day.long.

i sorta wish she'd nap so i can eat and like.. pee in peace. but no such luck. to make it all more complicated, the big one is super attached, she wants to nurse all the time too...
#5 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM

we're doing great, I feel really good physically (hugs to you first time mamas, that was by far the toughest recovery for me, ouch!). baby has been pretty laid back so far...my dh and I are counting our blessings, our last baby was very difficult! she likes to be held a lot, but usually has one or two long sleeps during the day and does good at night.

we're trying to stay warm here...it is supposed to be down in the single digits here for the next few days :. we're not used to it being this cold!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#6 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 AM

Today was day 3 post-partum for us and I'm feeling great, actually. I'm a little tired, nipples are definitely sore, and I've certainly had more comfortable days in the crotchal region (one 2nd degree tear with stitches and two skid marks) - but I'm happy and doing much better than I imagined I would be at this point!
#7 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 AM

24 hrs pp here, my hemorrhoids hurt but r getting better its been a whirl wind as DD met her sister. But we'll all adjust. Couldn't be better really!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#8 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

I tore pretty badly and am still pretty swollen and ouchy. Haven't used my Boppy to nurse, because I keep using it to sit on! Nipples are a little sore, but otherwise I LOVE not being nauseated and being able to eat and drink!!!!! Such a wonderful appetite I have! :

Also, little Evan is such a well-mannered little guy! Dd was very needy, and this is a real treat! :::::::

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#9 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

s to all the Mama's I hope recovery goes quickly for all!

I second the awesomeness of being able to eat comfortably again! I was so done with being pregnant. When my MW saw me two days postpartum she said I looked better than I had all the past month. lol The end of pregnancy was hard.

Feeling pretty good, but rather drained today. I felt so good yesterday we went grocery shopping... maybe not the best idea. My bleeding increased a lot, so I'm going to do my best to seriously just rest today. I'm very bad at this resting thing I have found. lol

Kallie is awesome! She is nursing great and sleeps pretty solid for at least 3 hours at two different times during the night. During the day Daddy and I take turns holding her while she sleeps. It's been great! She is 1 week old today! I can't beleive it really.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#10 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM

For all you mamas with tears, try goldenseal salve or, my favorite, the Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm--it's a lifesaver. Also take epsom salts sitz baths if you can find 10 min. to get someone to hold the baby!

I agree, even though I tore this time the same "degree" my first time birth was my hardest recovery--it's easier this time, less swelling, less sore muscles.

Isn't it crazy how giving birth makes every muscle in your whole body hurt? I was surprised at how much my sides and back hurt--kind of like I had had the flu and been vomiting for 24 hours. Which, if you think about it, is kind of like the muscles you were using in your torso.

The weird thing this time is my pelvic ligaments feel good except for when I lay down at night on my side, then my "crotchal" area aches in my joints down there, like I still should have a pillow in between my legs.

Eloise is so cute and fat I can't stand it. Serena--we've been cluster feeding here too. Makes it hard to post I've never gotten the hang of nak
#11 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM

i keep overdoing it too. but i'm out of time, DH has been back to work this week already, but part time. next week it all goes 'back to normal' - he's gonna e working, i'm gonna have to figure out how to cook and such.

i'm scared about next week. i wish he could quit his job and just stay home with us. but yknow, there's that pesky eating thing...

i miss my mom all the time, but times like this make me realize just how much. (she died in a car accident in '98) she would have come and helped take care of all this, I think. cooked me meals so i could rest. in-laws, even my husband and sister, i don't think they can take care of me like she could.
#12 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM

We're doing really well!

Baby is 11 days old and very sleepy. She's back up to and now over her birth weight.

I had a couple small tears, but nothing major, and they seem to be healed/healing nicely. Nursing is so super easy this time around, so far at least! Uternie cx were INTENSE for several days but nothing now. Lochia is slowing up considerably. I'm sleeping much better now than when I was PG. I have been having some chest tightening, but I think it's dehydration/overdoing it/heaviness of the ginormous boobs. Had it worse with my first. Also had a much worse skin issue after birthing my first, but it's still annoying.

Overall, we're doing well. Eating like crap and the toddler is watching too much TV, but what can you do?
#13 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

s Serena I am sorry about your Mom. I can't imagine not having my Mom around.

My milk monster is calling. lol She was back to birth weight only 4 days after delivery. The peditrician was shocked that I wasn't formula feeding since she put the weight back on so quick. She said I must have really good milk.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#14 of 41 Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Hugs Serena. I lost my mom to cancer 18 months ago. It's so hard doing this without her. No one can take care of me quite like my mom could.

We're doing pretty well here. Battling some jaundice and having to use nipple shiels on my blood blistered nipples. DS is so much more mellow than DD was as a baby, it's such a treat. DD had a pretty rough time adjusting but that seems to be getiing better thankfully. DH went back to work today but so far we're holding our own OK.

I can't believe my little guy is already 9 dyas old!!
#15 of 41 Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM

serena - not having a mom right now would be tough!

I'm feeling better every day, but still taking my prescription strength motrin - but less and less frequently. I'm doing sitz baths too, like 3-4 times a day - it helps so much with the swelling! I'm lucky too that my boyfriend is AMAZING - seriously - I'm afraid to clean myself up after each BM so he does it for me! I don't know what I would do without him! and thats really just the start - he's been taking such good care of me since we got home, and he's so understanding of how sore I am, I love him so much!

And Lincoln helps too, he's so mellow - I think b/c he's so big (no one, and I mean NO ONE in my family has EVER had a baby over 8lbs, so when he was 8lbs 14oz everyone was SHOCKED and they still can't believe it) - he hardly ever cries, and when he does we know something is seriously wrong! He's also peeing and pooping tons - we need to get bigger diapers b/c the newborn size aren't big enough!

My parents are coming this weekend too, which I'm super excited about, dad gets here tomorrow with my little brother (not so little, he's 21), and my mom gets here Monday, I can't wait for them to see Lincoln...he's such a pretty newborn. Which reminds me - how do I post pics on here?
#16 of 41 Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM

12 days PP here. Nursing is going great and he has regained his birth weight a few days ago. We did have a case of jaundice that needed treatment with a bili light bed here at home. THAT made Mommy miserable as I couldn't hold him like I wanted but I breast fed him over it for 3 days! So freak'n uncomfortable but that was the only way he would stay in there for any length of time.

Dadddy has been home since before birth with the way his on call and holiday schedule panned out. He is going crazy being at home and helping with the 5 month old while I figure out a daily "schedule" with the two of them. I've thanked him everyday for being here and I really needed the help that first week. He goes back next Tuesday and then I will left to my own devices. At least I am feeling more prepared now than a week ago I just know I am going from help all day to being alone 14 hours a day.

Last night was the first time I've slept all night in bed. We nursed all night long in the recliner the first several days then I sept there with the bili light for 3 more. O has had issues latching on in the dark and after trying for several minutes each time I'd have to get up or wake everyone then we'd have a 2 baby crying mess. I've really missed my bed and sleeping next to hubby.

Physically I feel great. I only have residual internal soreness depending on what I am doing. I'm thrilled everyday with the things I can do again without pain or restriction.
#17 of 41 Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM

We are doing great. I pushed the activity level in the first couple of days. I had the baby high and lots of energy to go with it. DH kept telling me to relax, dont over do it... I didnt listen. I was doing laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc. Now Im out of energy. The cramping started getting really bad yesterday. (for those keeping score, had the baby Sunday - 4 days ago) Now I have to be that asshole who makes everyone roll their eyes and say "yeah right" I have had no swelling or soreness. I didnt have any tearing though. I am SHOCKED. She came out so fast I thought I would have torn. The only pain or discomfort I am feeling is uterine cramping and nipple soreness.

I hate that DH took the week off work but still has to work anyway. He took a week off from his job but he has a big side project to work on (he is a plumber) and we NEED the money. Also, its a project he couldnt abandon because it involved leaving someone without a bathroom or heat so he HAD to work. The whole pregnancy, he drove me nuts and irritated me. Now I want him around all the time. I actually feel clingy.

But anyway, Annabelle is nursing like a champ. Sleeps well, she is very quiet and content. I am LOVING being able to eat now. Although every time I eat, she seems to want to nurse right at that moment (even if she just finished seconds earlier)
Cloth diapering is going AWESOME. Having issues with stain control but whatever.

Kids are loving their sister. Joe is loving being a daddy to another little girl. Hes so cute. I have had to demand that he goes to bed and gets some sleep because he wants to stay up all night and hold her and watch her. He said he feels guilty sleeping while I am up during the night. I told himthat the most helpful thing he can do is get enough sleep to pick up where I drop off. Hes a morning person, Im a night person. It works. I stay up at night and he can be up during the day.

Now I am just painfully awaiting the visit of my father in law, whom I despise but suck it up and play nice for DH's sake. I wish my mom could be here. :-(
#18 of 41 Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM

We are 8 days pp. She was back up to her birth weight on day 4, nursing great!

BUT...ds got a cold, then dh, then me, now her!...shes stuffed up and just wants to sleep, especially at night its dificult to get her to nurse, days not so bad since ds is constantly waking her!....We've found that a shot of breast milk up hernose seems to get the stuffys out, so we're going to start dropping it into ds ears to help with the ear infection.

Since ds is sick, hes been a holy terror, mad at the world!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#19 of 41 Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Things okay here today... though I'm a little cranky... the disarray of the house has me edgy. I hate when things are a mess. I pushed too much the first couple days, baby high and all, now I'm just tired and hungry and can't seem to catch up on either. DD is getting stronger and stronger... she rolled herself onto her side this morning. I couldn't beleive it and thought maybe it was the way I had shifted in bed to nurse her, but then she did it again on the changing table! I didn't know babies could roll so early...

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#20 of 41 Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM

20 days here, and feeling a little frustrated.

DS is still in the NICU. He's starting to turn the corner, taking full feeds more regularly now by bottle and breast, relying less on the NG tube. We had a really good day on Wednesday, thought "this is it! Home stretch!" Doctor was contemplating removing the NG tube, and then poor LO completely pooped out Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Back to square one.

I feel like I've been hit with every pre and post partum complication in the book (exaggerating quite a bit here). Placental abruption, pre-term labor/hospital stay, small placenta, low amniotic fluid, short umbilical cord, restricted blood-flow through the cord, emergency C-section...

And now I have high blood pressure and mastitis on top of everything else.

This means he'll be an easy baby, right? :
#21 of 41 Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennasuz View Post

DS is still in the NICU. He's starting to turn the corner, taking full feeds more regularly now by bottle and breast, relying less on the NG tube. We had a really good day on Wednesday, thought "this is it! Home stretch!" Doctor was contemplating removing the NG tube, and then poor LO completely pooped out Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Back to square one.

I feel like I've been hit with every pre and post partum complication in the book (exaggerating quite a bit here). Placental abruption, pre-term labor/hospital stay, small placenta, low amniotic fluid, short umbilical cord, restricted blood-flow through the cord, emergency C-section...

I hope he gets to go home soon...sorry you've had such a rough time!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#22 of 41 Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Serena and Papschmitty, I'm sorry about your moms. Mine passed away from cancer last December. When I brought dd home from the hospital 9 years ago, she had dinner waiting and my whole apartment clean. She was a mom of eight, so that made her an expert on bfing and baby care!

And jennasuz, I'm sorry you're going through all of that.

Dh is home from work for a couple more weeks, which is great. The biggest help is him taking the dog out, because she needs to go out a lot, and it's literally freezing here.

I keep doing too much and I know it, but I feel so good not being nauseated that it makes me feel superhuman! Every time my bleeding slows way down, I kick it back up again by being stupid.

Evan is nursing and sleeping great and weighed an ounce over his birth weight at his appt yesterday. He is SO easy compared to dd. Talk about an obvious personality difference!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#23 of 41 Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

s to jennasuz I'm keeping you in my prayers sweetie! What an ordeal you are being put through. I am so sorry.

Poor DD... I made the mistake of eating chili and it obviously did not go well for the breastmilk... DD has been so gassy and uncomfortable today she was actually awake for 4 hours... the longest she has been awake ever and I felt soooo incredibly bad for her. No more chili I guess...

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#24 of 41 Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM

I'm having mild baby blues (or maybe just my normal depression), but nothing too bad. I'm kinda numb-ish still. I bonded a little late, not sure if it was the epidural or the fear I'd had my whole pregnancy of bonding that delayed it (about 3 days before I was just feeling like I was taking care of her mechanically and actually fell in love). I'm annoyed by the winter weather that's making it hard for me to figure out what to do with my toddler and really wishing someone could come and take us to a playgroup *sigh* we both need it. I'm all alone here with a toddler and newborn. Nights are at least going well, with Naomi deciding she likes to sleep next to me so well she sleeps in 4-6 hour blocks.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#25 of 41 Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 AM

I've had mild baby blues the past few days, too...I've been very snappy with my older girls (we started homeschool back this week) and just edgy in general. I know it will pass soon.

My dh didn't take any time off work! That was ok with me, though, but saying it does seem sort of strange. I had the baby early on a Sunday (1/4), and he went back to work Monday AM.

We've had several folks from church bring us meals and my mom has cooked several meals for us. I have housekeeping help, so that is really a blessing. This weather has left me with cabin fever, though. I'm too cautious to take the baby anywhere--but if it were warmer, we could at least get outside for some fresh air and a stroll.

Emmie Jo is doing great...I can't believe she's almost 2 weeks old already. She is such a joy--a really easy baby.

#26 of 41 Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM

The best news is that I weigh less than my prepregnant weight. I am having a hard time not doing to much with having this C-section. I am wanting to try and do things normally. Fortunately BFing helps curb that some. My grandma actually sent me money for disposable diapers, because she didn't want me messing with dirty cloth diapers while in recovery. My family is so funny. I still have my Christmas tree up and think maybe I'll put one ornament away a day and it will be done by Thanksgiving.
Fortunately the baby is doing great and eats a ton. But he is sleeping great at night now.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#27 of 41 Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
Things okay here today... though I'm a little cranky... the disarray of the house has me edgy. I hate when things are a mess. I pushed too much the first couple days, baby high and all, now I'm just tired and hungry and can't seem to catch up on either. DD is getting stronger and stronger... she rolled herself onto her side this morning. I couldn't beleive it and thought maybe it was the way I had shifted in bed to nurse her, but then she did it again on the changing table! I didn't know babies could roll so early...
Ooh, you've got a superbaby on your hands!

*hugs* for all the mamas here. PP blues are hitting me too and DH saw it in me when I broke down and cried three separate times during one evening. He's made a pretty easy day for me today and I love him for it. I'm resting and that's really what I need. DD1 hhas been sooo needy and clingy that it drains me. She wants to nurse all.the.time and when I don't nurse her, she turns around and does destructive thigns. (I wiped lotion off the fridge yesterday, for example. At least it wasn't the wall.) I know she needs the attention and I've been really trying to give it to her, to yell at her less and to not say 'no' or 'stop' so much. It's slowly working...
#28 of 41 Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I think the chili has finally worked itself all out and DD was able to sleep last night and is doing well today! : I felt sooo bad for her. So glad to see her back to her normal self. lol

This weekend has been rather exhausting as we had DSD this weekend and she has a cold, so my stress levels have been so high to make sure DSD washed her hands before she touched her sister and to not breath on her too much and such.

DH goes back to work tomorrow... I think it will be weird after having him here for the past week. But he works a mid-shift so will be here in the mornings with me and will be home for the first middle of the night feeding... so shouldn't be too bad.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#29 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 AM

I discovered yesterday that Parker does not like me to eat chocolate cake. Ooh, he was so grumpy. He is never like that. He would want to eat constantly and then spit up because he had too much. He would only want to be held a certain way and if you moved him, he practically screamed. No more chocolate cake for me for a long time.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#30 of 41 Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennasuz View Post

you are so not alone. I feel really Jaded myself. Prolapsed cord, neuchal cord, baby born with pneumonia, C-section.
Though were not in the Nicu any more we are still camping out in the special care nursery. Simon can room in with me now though which I needed so badly. I cant believe he is 3 wks old today. They say time flies when your having fun, well this certainly was no fun but the time did seem to fly. On a brighter note I am absolutely, madly in love with this little prince. Like my 2 year old he knows just how to treat his mamma. Tons of cuddles and he breastfeeds like a true pro. Though things havent turned out the way this type "A" goddess planned I am still pleased Simon is here and I love him more and more every day.
As for the section recovery, I think the physical aspect of that has been much easier than the emotional. I am still grieving my vagi birth and I'm sure always will, but hes here and hes safe, I'll take it.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page