"Has the baby dropped yet?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due 1/27, and everyone keeps asking me that. It's my first baby, and while in theory I know what they mean, I don't know the answer. Is it the kind of question where, if I don't know the answer, it's "No"? I mean, is it unmistakeably obvious when a baby "drops"?

I keep looking at my profile and I'm like, "I dunno, I guess I look the same." I haven't been particularly high or low the whole time. There are days when baby is right on top of my bladder, but that's been true for a month now, and she seems to shift -- sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. I haven't had a problem with heartburn or shortness of breath, so I can't go by that. I've been having bad pelvic pain for a few weeks now, but I don't know if that's because she's lower, or heavier, or if it's just everything loosening up and shifting around down there.

My questions for other mommies (especially those who have done this before):

What does it feel/look like when baby drops?

Is there anyone out there who DIDN'T experience an unmistakable "drop" before their baby was born?

For those who've had more than one, how long before birth did your FIRST baby drop?

More to the point: Does the fact that my baby hasn't obviously dropped mean that I still have weeks to go? (I know that would be totally normal...but, you know, I could live without being pregnant anymore, just about any time she's ready.)
#2 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM

I never felt either of mine dramatically drop. It was more gentle, 'hey nothing's poking me in the ribs today' sorta feeling. It's not a very reliable way to tell whether you'll go into labor, IMO.
#3 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM

:

Crashing your DDC--I'm due two weeks after you and wondering the same thing....

#4 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Well hopefully someone will answer us.... I am due even earlier than you and I know the baby is still pretty high. I had a vag exam and the baby is still pretty high and the head isn't fixed. I'm trying not to get too concerned about it, but its hard when they told me at my US the head is huge.
#5 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Next time someone asks me this, I think I'm going to act appalled and say, "I would NEVER drop the baby!!!"

My midwife told me she won't tell ME when the baby drops -- I'll tell HER. Which presumably means it'll be an obvious change. (My MW doesn't do routine vaginal exams, FWIW.) She said I'll feel like I'm carrying a bowling ball between my legs. Since I can't imagine what that might feel like, it's not much help. I'm walking around going, "Is this what it feels like to carry a bowling ball between my legs?" I'm carrying SOMETHING, that's for sure.

If the posts in this due date club have taught me anything it's that:

1) There's really no good way to predict when labor will start before it starts...and sometimes not even then; and

2) Women in their last month of pregnancy will do anything to try to predict when labor will start, anyway. Human nature, I guess.

#6 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobot2000 View Post
Next time someone asks me this, I think I'm going to act appalled and say, "I would NEVER drop the baby!!!"
#7 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM

I keep getting this question too.

I never noticed my first drop at all....so I have no clue what that even means even now.
#8 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
She said I'll feel like I'm carrying a bowling ball between my legs. Since I can't imagine what that might feel like, it's not much help. I'm walking around going, "Is this what it feels like to carry a bowling ball between my legs?" I'm carrying SOMETHING, that's for sure.
Hate to say it, but it is one of those thing's you'll just know. Seriously, you'll be walking and think to yourself "man, feels like I have a bowling ball between my legs about to fall out!". Even if your MW hadn't given you that example, that's the only thing you can think to compare it to

With my first, I dropped a little around 36 weeks but still ended up going over 41.

This one has dropped further than DS did but it's been gradual. I have only 2 maternity tops left that are long enough to cover my whole belly (yup, I do laundry every other day to have something to wear--not a belly-exhibitionist here ). Instead of having to get up once to pee at night, I have to get up about 5 times. When I relax and exhale, my belly looks like a ski slope under my boobs instead of this nice round sphere.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#9 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM

With all my pregnancies the head has never really "dropped" until I was in labor. I remember lots of people asking this too and I figured it was all just small talk. Something for them to ask besides, "so when is that baby coming"!

I like your "never drop the baby" response!! Too funny.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#10 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM

This is my third baby, and I have never noticed that the baby has dropped, although people sure do like to comment about how they see the baby's dropped or not dropped yet.

Doctors confirmed that my first two never did drop. My midwife says this one has, but all I can feel is pressure on the right side of my groin for the last week. Last night, if I'm guessing right, I think she dropped further and more symmetrically because now I feel a slight bowling ball between the legs kind of feeling.

My point is, that I doubt its always obvious when the baby drops.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#11 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Not in your DDC. My first never seemed to drop - I countinued to be poked in the ribs till the last minute....he may have dropped and still been poking me in the ribs, he was so long , but I don't know.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#12 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 PM

My 1st dropped 5 days before she was born. This one dropped 9 days ago and I'm still preggo. Both times, I could see some difference in profile, but mostly noticing the movements just all moved a bit lower. I don't get that full feeling as often either. This time, I do feel like babe is lower - turning my walk into a waddle, but I didn't feel that way with dd1.
#13 of 16 Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 AM

My MIL keeps asking me that. I never know what to say. I never felt like my first DS "dropped," and I don't feel like this one has either. But today I was over at MILs house and she told me that I had definitely dropped today (I saw her yesterday too). I hadn't noticed anything different, but she swears I look different . I just don't know, and I think, for me at least, it's not the best indicator of labor starting anytime soon.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#14 of 16 Old 01-18-2009, 03:29 PM

I think mine all dropped during labour. People would tell me that I dropped, but then I would go to OB or MW who would say that the head was still high.
#15 of 16 Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Too funny!

My babies never dropped so it doesn't always happen.
#16 of 16 Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments about not dropping... it has really been worrying me. A follow up growth US at 28 weeks showed a really big head (all else WNL) I declined further USs because I didn't want them to keep freaking me out that it was a huge baby but it's in the back of my head. I just needed to hear some others had lovely normal births with babies that "never dropped" : Thanks again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page