Myra's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Myra's birth story.

I suppose I can say it got started by taking a nice long walk. Sunday night I went to the mall to meet up with friends. I ended up bumping into other friends there, and before I knew it, Id been walking around 4 hours! I had a meeting I was hoping to attend, but felt a bit distracted and totally forgot! Id noticed at the mall I felt invigorated, and energized, I also only felt like eating about half my dinner, which I made a note of, as different for me. Also that day I noticed I couldn't sit still, felt like rocking my body etc. Well, that evening, around 10 or so, I started to notice some cramps, they came and went, but we're a bit uncomfortable. I got up to use the bathroom and noticed some bloody show, yes! this could be the real thing.

So all night I tried to rest, but couldn't, I couldn't be still, and being in the bed was hurting more. So I labored, tried to clean up a bit while I could, since we would be having a homebirth. Through out the morning I monitored my contractions, my doula came over mid morning. We spent the day laboring, talking, just trying to enjoy the moments we could. Changing positions, standing, walking, showering, trying to move my body to the music, the ball, all fours etc. The midwife arrived in the evening, I was 90ish % and 3-4, after a long day I had hoped to be a little farther, but they encouraged me that that was good since I was almost completely effaced. I called in my other friends whom I invited to join me. Meghan and Joy, who are both doulas arrived, and Niana came after work. My contractions would slow any time I rested for too long. The midwife had me walk to the block. So us ladies all went for a walk. Apparently I did a good job, and she was impressed that I could keep walking, even with a contraction, that was not easy, but I knew we needed to get the contractions coming stronger. I think it helped. The next few hours are a big blur of working with each contraction, focusing on the music I chose for the birth, feeling the hands of the women around me, lovingly, yet purposly touching and massaging my body,each working so hard to send me positive energy, and using their knowledge of birth as doulas, to help me achieve the best birth possible.

Well, more time went by, our house was warm and full of people enjoying the moment and each other, and it was great. The midwife checked me and I was 8cm, but could stretch to 9 and then some, so she told me if I felt the urge to push, we could probably procede. I couldn't believe, after such a long day, that the time was almost here.

I wanted to wait for the urge to push. I remembered with the birth of Reaghan, that pushing felt really good and rewarding, so I was waiting for that. Unfortunatly that didn't come. The contractions remained painful, although they spread out in the way they do at that stage, I just didn't feel the same. Id thought that I would like to be in a supported squat in my living room to have the baby, but squatting was terribly painful. I had dealt with a lot of pubic bone pain during labor, and we think that it was causing this pain as well. So we went ahead with some directed pushing, to see if getting the baby lower might help,as well as trigger the urge to push. But it didn't the midwife told me that unfortunately, this is probably how pushing would be, and I would just have to put everything I had into it, and get through it. It was hard to hear, and wrap my brain around. But forward we went. I was on my right side in our bed, Jason laying behind me supporting me. I couldn't feel the baby move down, the pressure or any of the sensations I remember feeling with Reaghan, because the pain was so intense. My friend were helping support my feet, and it was them telling me how I was doing, what they were seeing, and what was being effective that got me through. Jason was gently reminding me to put my chin to my chest, and that helped me push the right way. The pain even overshadowed my ability to feel if I was pushing right. Then, my water broke, and before we knew it, her head appeared. The cord was tightly around her neck, so the midwife quickly cut it, and I remember looking down, seeing the clamps, and saying "its ok, I know whats happening" since I knew this was not a big deal, just a moment that Im glad to have a great professional midwife, and in a whirlwind of pain, excitement, adrenaline, and bliss, at 11:56. the baby left my body.We could soon see that it was a girl, our Myra. I thought for sure I had torn, because of what had to be done to cut the cord and get her out, but no, because the team around me helped me to breath the way I needed to and work as a team to get her out gently and safely, I didn't have a single tear! The pain was gone, and it felt so good to not be pregnant! We did have some difficultly getting the placenta to detach, which was also the case with Reaghan. Finally after trying several things, it came. the MW said it had an extra node, which could have been part of the problem. the cord was also very short, much shorter than DDs was.

Before we knew it, I was in the shower, cleaning up, and getting ready to snuggle in with my baby. My friends helped wrap things up, and we finished up the postpartum duties, and the birth assistants and midwife finished up with us, seeing that we were doing well, and were both stable. Each person said good by for the night, and we snuggled in as a family to rest, and enjoy the new baby and the amazing night that we had just been through.

I'm sure I've left out other exciting details, but thats it in a nutshell.

Reaghan came home the next day. She was a bit unsure at first, didn't want to come to me, but slowly warmed up. She's still doing well, although she's fighting for attention. We're doing our best to grow together as a family. I'll get some more pics up soon, its hard finding time to get on here with a very demanding nursling and a toddler.

Go Here for pics on our family website

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM

: great story!
#3 of 11 Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh! She is beautiful! I have tears in my eyes! I'm so happy you had the birth you wanted, congratulations!:::
#4 of 11 Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Sounds like a wonderful experience (except for the painful pushing!)!

What's the song on your picture website?

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#5 of 11 Old 01-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Wow! Congratulaions!!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#6 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Congrats! Wonderful story! :

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#7 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Congrats!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Congratulations: Love the pics of you birthing, Myra is too cute.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#9 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM

What a Lovely, peaceful birth story. Congratulations and your little Myra is darling.

That was amazing you could walk during contractions you are a strong lady.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#10 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM

congrats on your new baby....:::

:
#11 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post
Sounds like a wonderful experience (except for the painful pushing!)!

What's the song on your picture website?
Long time sun by Snatam Kaur, it was part of our birth music, but also the closing song for each yoga class at the center I go to!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page