Keeping contractions going - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had pretty consistent contractions since 9am this morning but they don't feel very strong and they've stayed about 9minutes apart. They last less than a minute too--sometimes they're very short. So I'm really not convinced this is going to turn into the real thing, but is there anything I can do to increase the chance?

I'm sooo ready to have this baby and am 5 days past EDD. So come on baby!

I'm very tired so I haven't gone crazy walking a lot or anything. The contractions started after my chiropractic adjustment this morning. And I know I'm supposed to rest as much as I can the day I'm adjusted. By the way, I was feeling pressure from the baby's head on my right pubic bone and traveling down my right inside thigh for a week or so. MW said the baby's head was a little off center to the right. Now I'm comfortable again! Yay! And I can only assume the baby is lined up better.

Thanks for any advice. I really want things to pick up, not peter out!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#2 of 7 Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM

walk! it worked for me. mine were off and on all day until i took a 20-minute walk with DH. then i came in and took a rest on my bed, and BOOM! 3-4 mins apart, lasting 1+ mins. it was fast and furious from there.
the other thing i did was really concentrate on each contraction and really encourage it to build and do what it was supposed to do. if i stopped concentrating, i found that my body was automatically fighting them. i had little mantras (like "bring it on, open up") that helped me focus, too.
good luck!!
#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Nipple stimulation! My contractions were 10 minutes apart and slowing and I started doing nipple stimulation and they increased BIG TIME. It hurts a little bit after awhile, but it works. Just do it until a contraction starts to come, then stop during the contraction, then start up again.

Good luck!

#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM

Drink red raspberry leaf tea, walk, take a bath...these all helped me

Eat small light meals(there is nothng worse then when your trying to labour and feel sick to your stomach!)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Just popping in from Feb's group- The same thing happened to me on Friday. I was pretty sure the adjustment gave the baby more room to get in a better position. I think all of the contractions were just that- the baby positioning itself. I was pretty crampy again on Sunday but aside from regular BH's, nothing came about. Perhaps your baby isn't ready just yet- just needed to get in a better position was finally able to. Anyway, hopefully something happens for you, I am sure you are soooo ready!
#6 of 7 Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM

I second the nipple stimulation. It worked for me. 5 min with pump on each side and walking and swaying. Staying upright during the contractions really helped too.

I'm a  Christian, homeschooling, kinda crunchy mama to 3, lucky step-mom to 1 and expecting a new firecracker in Julysaynovax.gifhomeschool.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!
The contractions are still going and have grown in intensity and duration, but they're not more frequent. Probably less through the night--about 15 minutes I'd guess. I didn't time much because I was sleeping--but would notice one when I'd wake up every hour or less to go to the bathroom.

Nipple stim doesn't seem to do much for me. Is it because I'm still nursing my 2 yr old and am just so used to it? I've been doing the RRT tea. I'll pick up on the walking more today.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page