Amalia Claire is Here!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been home resting since yesterday, and thought I would just peek in here while Miss baby is sleeping. Congratulations to all the other new mamas, and HANG IN THERE to all the soon to be mamas!! Here's the birth story if you like:

On Friday both my chiropractor and a friend who does energy work came by to chat with baby. I had been asking her to grace us with her presence for a week already, so perhaps she just needed some new voices to encourage her. At any rate, contractions started at 6pm when I took my DD to girl scouts. It just so happens that one of the other moms is an L&D nurse. She and I chatted for an hour, all the while the contractions were picking up. I brought Anna home, we ate dinner, and I sent DH and the kids to bed. I had regular contractions about every 10 minutes that were quite painful, but I thought it best to sleep while I could. By 1:30am there was no more sleeping. I alternated resting and walking around the house until 4am, and then started calling folks to give them their heads up. I woke DH at 5:45 to get the car warm, and we woke the kids. They were so excited to be going in the car in the middle of the night. We kissed them goodbye in the driveway at my parents, and the last thing DD said to me was, "Daddy, if she comes out bum first do you have to stick her back in and try again?" I would have laughed, but the contractions hurt too much.

We arrived at the hospital, and got comfortable by 6:45am. One of my favorite Dr.'s was on call, but leaving at 8am. His replacement? Yep. The Dr. I have been avoiding. I learned almost immediately however, that the DR. I was hoping to avoid he had written extensive instructions in my chart. I was not to be disturbed. My lights could be left as I wished, no student or junior residents. Only my own nurse. No medication was to be pushed, ect... Basically he had written my entire birth plan into my chart, AND THEY WERE FOLLOWING IT TO THE LETTER! had to wait a little longer than usual to establish how dilated I was, but it was totally worth it. When I arrived I was a stretchy 4cm, 70% effaced and baby was at -1. I had to stay on the monitors until somebody senior enough to ok my walking arrived, so it was like 9:30am before I could get up.

The Dr. called me back to my room after about 30 minutes so he could recheck me. After all the walking I was now 5cm, 80% effaced, and baby had moved back up to -2 station. He recommended AROM to keep her down, and I agreed. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a heart beat after that with the regular monitor. The Dr. was very concerned about my personal risk of rupture because I was 6 days post dates, baby had been carrying very low for weeks, and the twin pregnancy could have thinned out the bottom of my uterus. He asked to place a scalp electrode in order to prevent further interventions later. We agreed to the compromise. Then everybody left. For hours, I was left completely alone to labor as I wished. As long as that monitor stayed on we were good.

DH and my mom were awesome. Especially when the horrendous back labor I remember from DD's birth kicked in. My mom does Reiki and Quantum touch. Both of which helped a lot. She also showed DH how to massage my feet to help me stay grounded. What a life saver. The nurse tiptoed in a few times and whispered encouragement to DH. She did not want to interrupt my concentration so she stayed away.

After about 2 or 2 1/2 hours of the back labor I started begging. I knew I had hit transition. I had been given Stadol at this point during DD's birth, and I passed through the last 2-3cm while unconscious. This time I didn't take anything, and with baby on my tailbone the entire time I felt like I was losing my grip. I repeatedly asked her to please "JUST MOVE". I guess it worked. I don't know what told me I was done, but I looked at my mother and said, "That's it! I am done! Get them, NOW!" She thought I meant get me drugs. So did DH. When the nurse came in she made all kinds of soothing noises about just checking me to see how far I was (last check I had been 6cm) and then she would get me something for the pain if I really wanted it... I would not let her touch me. I couldn't stand it. She took a quick look and said, "ummm how are these contractions feeling?" When I said, "pushy" DH and my mom both looked shocked. The nurse was as well. She hollered for the Dr. to get in there, and then while 2 people helped him get dressed she kindly asked my not to bear down. Apparently I answered her. DH said I had this really bizarre look on my face, and I used this uber sarcastic tone, and I said, "I'll do my best."

The birth ended quite rapidly. The Dr. barely got his gown and gloves on. She moved and didn't stop moving. In less than 10 minutes she was out. They handed her to me right away, and DH cut the cord, and after the placenta was delivered the room started to empty. It took some time to stitch me up and then check my c/s scar. I had baby the entire time. In fact, the nurse didn't even ask for her until the Dr. had left the room. I was totally confused. Where were all the people? Why didn't the neo-natologist need to examine her? Why was there only one nurse taking care of us? And then it hit me.... There was NOTHING WRONG WITH US! No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no twins! It was a very peaceful transition after the excitement of her rapid entry.

We spent a peaceful 2 days laying in bed together with practically no visitors. It was wonderful. My older kids are still with my parents. The said they wanted to keep them all week so I could REALLY rest.

Miss baby calls, Thank you all again. It meant a lot knowing you were all thinking of us. Between the support I got here, and the support I got from the staff who were all committed to helping me VBAC, I had a great hospital birth.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#2 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM

What a beautiful story congrats mamma.

: Welcome baby girl:

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#3 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Congratulations:: I like the name Amalia, my DD2 middle name is Amala

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#4 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM

:
#5 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 PM

Yay! Congratulations! :

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#6 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Congrats!:

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#7 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 PM

::

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#8 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM

congrats..... :::

:
#9 of 16 Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 PM

Congrats! Beautiful name! And take the grandparents up on the offer!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#10 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM

Yay! Congratulations Jody!!! I haven't been on much but every time I am I look for your post.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#11 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 AM

Congrats!! What a wonderful birth story!!! : :
#12 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM

:::
#13 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM

That's a fabulous story! Love the name, too! :

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#14 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Congratulations! Welcome Amalia!
I am so happy you were able to have a vbac and such a wonderful peaceful labor and birth!
#15 of 16 Old 01-24-2009, 02:35 AM

This has to be the most peaceful hospital birth story I have ever read. Thank you for writing it out, and congratulations!

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#16 of 16 Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Yay! Congrats on your VBAC!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page