SAHM - please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a SAHM (stay at home mom). Just wondering how to keep my 2-yr old busy when I'm 39 wks and stuck in the apartment all day with nothing to do, except cooking which I do in the evenings. He watches a lot of sesame street (poor thing) or runs around climbing this and that around the apartment. I feel like such a bad mom.

**Leaving the apartment is something I don't consider because I'm too tired.
***I keep my apartment clean, so cleaning is not necessary every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 PM

How about playdough, coloring books, blocks, dress up, lots of bath time, reading stories with you. I know exactly how you feel. There comes a point in the day where I just accept that I can't do anymore and the tv goes on. You are so not alone!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 AM

just wanted to ask how you manage to keep the apartment clean with a 2yo and being 39 weeks pregnant? you're my hero.
#4 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas. Thanks IowaOrganic.
Racidoodle, it's a very small and brand new apt, and I keep a lot of things out of reach of my 2 yr. old. Hubby helps clean bathrooms nowadays. Once this baby comes, I don't know what'll happen (lol).
#5 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 AM

I feel like I am in the exact same boat, but here are a few things that work for us. I recently made my first batch of playdough and it was a HUGE hit. Especially when combined with my actual kitchen utensils and a few pots and bowls. He will "cook" for quite a while on his own. We have also been baking/cooking food for when baby is here almost every day, too, and he loves to help measure the ingredients. Playing in the kitchen sink, again with bowls and measuring tools, is also an almost daily occurrence around here. If I can get him going in a good game with some block structures and matchbox cars, he will usually keep it up for a while as well. Then again, I feel like we have been watching way too much TV here too because it is so darn easy! I am doing ok being almost 39 weeks pregnant for the most part, but I am really worried about what the heck I am supposed to do with a newborn and a two year old!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#6 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

my_baby_love, thanks for the great idea about the kitchen sink and water play. I don't care if I have to mop up a little afterwards. As long as there's a little less tv...I'll be ok. I'm also wondering about how to manage a baby and a 2-year old. Hopefully, not more tv (lol).
#7 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 PM

I was the same, w/my LO watching Sprout (and still is--it's not a lot easier w/a 2 year old and a newborn) since I don't allow Sesame Street in our house (I hate Elmo w/a passion). We're actually watching Little Bear right now.

We do reading, flash cards (ABCs, shapes and colors and we do numbers in books), coloring (although crayons mostly get crushed into wax powder), music (and dancing)... We have a playroom that works much longer, but it's too cold down there right now (it has a toy kitchen that she adores, her blocks which I don't like under my feet out of the room, a bassinet for her doll and a stroller for the doll).

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for some great ideas. Must be so much more fun playing with a girl, I'm thinking. More ideas like tea parties, dolls, etc....FUN! (I have all boys and another little boy on the way!)
#9 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 PM

#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!
#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM

Something new - a roll of paper taped to the wall to color on, a new toy - an Aqua Doodle kept my 28 month old occupied for HOURS.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page