Irregular/long menstrual cycles and due dates. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always had irregular menstrual cycles, which are anywhere from 30 to 40 days long. I was wondering if any pregnant ladies here have had the same and if they delivered late or early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 PM

I've often wondered about the correlation: My cycles have been a consistent 23-25 days for the past 8 years. (prior to that, I was on pill, with regulated cycles) I found out 5 years ago that I ovulate on about day 5-7.

DD1 - 37 weeks, 7#1
DD2 - 42w5d, 8#13
DD3 - 43w1d, 7#3

Neither of last two seemed "overdue", no clue why the first was so much earlier.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM

I'll let you know after I have this baby. My first was induced at 37w.
I didn't ovulate the cycle I got pregnant this time until cd 33.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Yes there is a correlation. We actually give women with longer cycles a later due date based on their cycle length.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Rockportmidwife, that's interesting that midwives give different due dates, coz my doc didn't care to factor in my longer cycle. I wonder when you'll deliver AndbabyMakes4. I have a feeling I ovulate late as well and both my kids were induced. Right now, I'm 39 weeks and 2 days....and have no clue when I'll be done.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM

skmama,
Because I was charting, I knew my O day so my due date was calculated based on that, not my LMP. My LMP was April 2nd, so according to that I would be due around January 7th. But because I know I didn't ovulate till the beginning of May, my due date is not until Jan 24/25th. I did have a early ultrasound at 8 weeks that confirmed my dd of Jan 24th.
So if my dr and midwife had just gone by LMP, I would be over 42 weeks today according to their dates....who knows what probs that would lead to.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM

but *I* contradict all of that since I know for a fact that I ovulate early in my cycle, and my last 2 pregnancies were longer than average. i calculated EDD by LMP & by conception date, and there were a few days difference, but not significant. DD2 was conceived on day 5, and DD3 was conceived on day 6 after LMP.

I had a late u/s with DD3, which pushed the EDD back one week - so, even if that was true, she was 42 weeks gestation. An u/s 2 days before DD2 claimed she had 3 more weeks to cook!!! (I cried - thankfully, they were wrong)

So, while I am sure there is a correlation somewhere, I'm just not convinced it's that cut & dry.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

andbabymakes4, I guess the early u/s gives the correct date. I've read that early u/s done around 8-10 weeks are more accurate than later u/s. I'll have to ask my dr about it.
I would have thought, jrabbit, that you would deliver early going by the early conception dates.... Yeah, I think you're right that it's not cut and dry. Does give me a little bit of hope of going early (lol).
Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM

I've been lurking on this board for a while now, and am SO glad to see this post.

My due date based on my LMP was 1/21, and my OB is already asking when he should schedule my induction. He keeps telling me there's "no way" he'll let me go past 42 wks, and I have to keep reminding him that the U/S gave a date of 1/29. My menstrual cycles were running about 35 days when I conceived, so I keep thinking that plus the ultrasound ought to give him a clue, but the OB doesn't really seem to listen to that bit of info.

Both of my other children were late (1st was induced at "41" weeks, 2nd was born at 10 days past my "due date") and I'm in no rush to do anything... My question is, since the baby looks great on a non-stress test, and I'm not in any hurry, why is HE in such a rush? I suppose 40+ weeks is a little late to consider changing docs...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing, northwoodsmom, that doctor's make these decisions based on maybe to protect themselves in case something (god forbid) goes wrong and they are asked why they didn't induce earlier to prevent problems. Another guess is that their decisions are based on insurance requirements. I don't know... but it makes sense to wait if you and baby are doing well (as in your case). I'm also thinking what to say to my dr next week at my appt (which is on my due date) if she insists on inducing.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM

I have always had longer cycles (35ish days). My current midwife adjusted my edd from Jan. 4 to Jan. 10. He was born 10 days after my adjusted due date.

My other two were weeks late, and I didn't have an adjusted date those two times. Probably should have...

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:

User Tag List